V gas cap leaking - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

V gas cap leaking

Recently ive noticed gas stains on the top of my gas cap and I can see some fuel in the gap between the cap and the tank. I have gas leaking from the vent hole on the bottom right of the cap (hole with the rubber washer between the tank and the cap). Any ideas how to fix this and what caused it?

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...9BNVBkT3BHZV9R

Last edited by g.sharm89; 07-15-2018 at 10:32 PM. Reason: adding video
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 05:44 AM

fuel expands with heat. if you happen to be shaking a lot or the tank is full when pressure is released, it will push fuel out; the gas cap is designed to let go some excess pressure into that drain area, past the large flat seal. this is common when you fill up cold fuel from the ground before lunch and the tank heats in the sun.

pressure would have to be very high for fuel to come up the oneway vent unless it's not oneway anymore. you can test the oneway vent with a 1/4" siphon hose or equivalent and push/pull air with your mouth. if you can push air in the cap's conical tip, it's defective, it should only draw air into the tank.

the vent hole "in the tank" is not one way (only the cap is), so when opening the gas cap, the cap unblocks the vent hole and pressure could blow through that hole too. But in my experience, pressure blows by the main large flat seal first.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.sharm89 View Post
Recently ive noticed gas stains on the top of my gas cap and I can see some fuel in the gap between the cap and the tank. I have gas leaking from the vent hole on the bottom right of the cap (hole with the rubber washer between the tank and the cap). Any ideas how to fix this and what caused it?

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...9BNVBkT3BHZV9R
First for anyone responding, your first post states a 2010 650 Versys,
I looked up the manual section 3-104 to 3-107 ( This forum), what you show is not normal, however you show it running. Take a shot after 10 minutes of riding the bike, There should be no fuel above the neck of the gas tank and there should be a slight pressure in the tank. Just remember, if you went down, do you want fuel flowing from the tank?? I can tell you that on my 07 and 2015, I have gone down, and no gas leak period, on the 2015 it was a 5KM not focused, and I had about a table spoon of coolant from the overflow come out the overflow drain tube.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 12:09 PM

not normal, potentially dangerous. my bike has gone down on her side several times, including halfway upside down in jasper park, and never leaked fuel. and i'm bad about toping off as well.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Dropped my '15 650 to slightly BELOW horizontal a few weeks back (say about 105 degrees from VERTICAL, right-side DOWN).

ABOUT 5 minutes before we got it back up and on the wheels. NO leakage.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
pressure would have to be very high for fuel to come up the oneway vent unless it's not oneway anymore. you can test the oneway vent with a 1/4" siphon hose or equivalent and push/pull air with your mouth. if you can push air in the cap's conical tip, it's defective, it should only draw air into the tank.
I tested this tonight and the cap tip seems to be working properly. As I was looking at the cap I noticed that once the cap is actually locked in place, I can see that there is space between the tip and the rubber grommet which is located on top of the breather pipe. If this is properly sealed could this be causing the gas to leak from that pipe? If anyone could take a picture of their gas cap open (especially focusing on the lower right hand side with the breather pipe) I could compare it to mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyvous59 View Post
not normal, potentially dangerous. my bike has gone down on her side several times, including halfway upside down in jasper park, and never leaked fuel. and i'm bad about toping off as well.
My bike has been down twice before and this has never been a problem before. I have never leaked any gas. This started last week and I noticed it more and more now.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Check Tank Ring Bolts

As in the title, be careful it is aluminum, I have a tank bag, on the 07 I had a good 20,000 KM on it before I bought a tank bag, I found 2 of the 3 screws loose by almost 2 turns. Also a still close up photo of your tank and cap would be helpful

My 2015 Gas cap, different than yours, however mounting is the same,, note the 3 mounting bolts to the inner tank, this is aluminum but they need to be tight, my 07 they were loose.

Notice the cone shaped vent lower left that mates with the rubber vent of the tank, yours has a larger hole and looks misaligned with the tank, again check the 3 mounting bolts.

Last edited by onewizard; 07-19-2018 at 10:36 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

As you can see the cap is sitting flush with the ring. The grommet looks like it has deteriorated a bit thus the rough appearance. Could anyone else look at their tank cap and tell me if their grommet looks similar? If the conical tip on the gas doesn't actually plug the grommet that would defeat the purpose of the pressure valve correct?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180718_184936_1531965326162.jpg (29.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180718_184952_1531965349911.jpg (18.9 KB, 21 views)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Take More photos

Look at my photos and duplicate with your bike.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Replaced the rubber grommet on the gas cap at the breather valve. No more leaking gas. The old one seemed to have deterriorated over time and the rubber wasn't sealing around the valve. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode