Strange engine sound like a cricket or a whistle, is it normal? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 19Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 205
Strange engine sound like a cricket or a whistle, is it normal?

Hi all! I have a 2018 model and from the first time I started it, I hear the whirling noise of the engine, like a cricket or a whistle. I hear it only at low RPM (max 4000 rpm), if i go over 4000 rpm so the sound almost disappear and the engine start to roar. I have the doubt that it's could not be normal, is it?
ryu10 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 16,790
I don't recall ever hearing something like you describe, but I've been riding the V650 for the past 10 years, so MAYBE I just forgot.
aboyandhisversys likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I don't recall ever hearing something like you describe, but I've been riding the V650 for the past 10 years, so MAYBE I just forgot.
This is the sound I'm talking about: https://streamable.com/cdrfo

I hear it when I'm run too and at low RPM, when I'm going over 4000 rpm it almost disappear since the engine start to roar more

Inviato dal mio SM-G965F utilizzando Tapatalk
ryu10 is offline  
 
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 05:03 PM
Member
 
quexpress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu10 View Post
This is the sound I'm talking about: https://streamable.com/cdrfo

I hear it when I'm run too and at low RPM, when I'm going over 4000 rpm it almost disappear since the engine start to roar more

Inviato dal mio SM-G965F utilizzando Tapatalk
My 2015 sounds exactly like yours. I believe that this is normal.
ryu10 likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
quexpress is offline  
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 05:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Roseville, Ca.
Posts: 394
Only thing I could hear in that recording was the perfectly normal primary gear whine which has been around since my first Kawi Z1in 1973.
ryu10 likes this.
Buffalo_Bob is online now  
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 06:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Porter, Tx
Posts: 23
My 2008 ninja 250 had the same sound. I like it.
ryu10 likes this.
Jsmith58 is offline  
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 08:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Dirty Jersey
Posts: 156
Garage
Yup, totally normal and healthy sounding.
ryu10 likes this.
mentolio is offline  
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 12:16 AM
Member
 
invader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kapuskasing Ontario Canada
Posts: 7,815
It'll smooth out some as it breaks in... How many miles are on it now, and has the original oil been replaced already? Some of the whistling sound is attributable to stock catalyzed muffler as well.
aboyandhisversys likes this.
invader is offline  
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
It'll smooth out some as it breaks in... How many miles are on it now, and has the original oil been replaced already? Some of the whistling sound is attributable to stock catalyzed muffler as well.
I have 1.200km i already changed the oil
anyway, it seems to be normal, good and i like it, it reminds me the sound of the aspiration in a turbo engine
ryu10 is offline  
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 04:24 AM
Member
 
NunoMt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Portugal
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu10 View Post
I have 1.200km i already changed the oil
anyway, it seems to be normal, good and i like it, it reminds me the sound of the aspiration in a turbo engine
Exactly. I hear the same in my 2018 Versys. It's normal.

Enviado do meu G3221 através do Tapatalk
ryu10 likes this.
NunoMt is offline  
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by NunoMt View Post
Exactly. I hear the same in my 2018 Versys. It's normal.

Enviado do meu G3221 através do Tapatalk
Thanks!
ryu10 is offline  
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 12:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Hot Springs, SD
Posts: 864
I'm almost deaf (according to my wife) so I'm not going to be any help. On the other hand you shouldn't have mentioned this "cricket" on the forum.......now everyone will want one.
Duffy is offline  
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
I'm almost deaf (according to my wife) so I'm not going to be any help. On the other hand you shouldn't have mentioned this "cricket" on the forum.......now everyone will want one.
Ahahah trust me, the sound is clear even if you are deaf, if you understand what sound I mean

Inviato dal mio SM-G965F utilizzando Tapatalk
ryu10 is offline  
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 16,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu10 View Post
This is the sound I'm talking about: https://streamable.com/cdrfo

I hear it when I'm run too and at low RPM, when I'm going over 4000 rpm it almost disappear since the engine start to roar more

Inviato dal mio SM-G965F utilizzando Tapatalk
Sounds EXACTLY the same as my '15 650 does, as well as my '08 (and '09 BEFORE it 'died'...).
ryu10 likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 03:09 PM
Member
 
jaaklucas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 238
Ive got a 2015 650,normal sound.Thats what you hear when you have a decent muffler on a bike!
ryu10 likes this.
jaaklucas is offline  
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Sounds EXACTLY the same as my '15 650 does, as well as my '08 (and '09 BEFORE it 'died'...).
i'm happy to hear that, so it's normal..thanks
ryu10 is offline  
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 07:47 PM
Member
 
mrvwbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Cheyenne, WY
Posts: 338
Sounds like a completely normal Versys.
ryu10 likes this.
mrvwbug is offline  
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvwbug View Post
Sounds like a completely normal Versys.
I'm happy to hear that!

Inviato dal mio SM-G965F utilizzando Tapatalk
ryu10 is offline  
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 12:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Lovely, Metropolitan North Idaho
Posts: 336
I usually hate it when people agree with the other 4700 people that agree with something, but I'll break that rule in this instance.

This noise is normal. Get used to the noise the bike makes, because a few thousand miles down the road you'll be able to hear when something DOESN'T sound right. THAT's when you worry.

Not now. the magic line is when the warranty ends. Warranty on: OK. Warranty ended: worry.
That's my normal mode of operation. Yours may vary.
ryu10 likes this.
aboyandhisversys is offline  
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyandhisversys View Post
I usually hate it when people agree with the other 4700 people that agree with something, but I'll break that rule in this instance.

This noise is normal. Get used to the noise the bike makes, because a few thousand miles down the road you'll be able to hear when something DOESN'T sound right. THAT's when you worry.

Not now. the magic line is when the warranty ends. Warranty on: OK. Warranty ended: worry.
That's my normal mode of operation. Yours may vary.
it's a good suggestion. Excuse me guys if i make stupid question, but i have no experience with bikes and this is my first one, so i prefer to make a question, instead of keep the doubts
ryu10 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome