Strange noise when i use the front brake lever, is it normal? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Strange noise when i use the front brake lever, is it normal?

Hi guys, i have one "problems" which I don't know if it's normal or not. This is my first motorcycle and i'm really going crazy!
Often, when I pull (especially in a light way) the front brake lever, I hear a sound like a mechanic "tlack". My mechanic told me that it is normal since the front brake discs are "semi-floating", but I'm not convinced because i asked a lot of people wich have the same bike as mine and they all told me that they don't hear any noise and that my motorcycle has some problems.
i hope that i can find some prepared persons here that can give me some peace and explanation about this matter! I just want to understand if my new Versys is fine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 01:05 PM

It's normal.

There's another active thread in here somewhere that talks about the rotor taking up the slack against the caliper pins, which more or less agrees with I've known over the years about hydraulic brakes.

I'll wait for the true experts to weigh in here, but so far as I'm aware you're fine.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyandhisversys View Post
It's normal.

There's another active thread in here somewhere that talks about the rotor taking up the slack against the caliper pins, which more or less agrees with I've known over the years about hydraulic brakes.

I'll wait for the true experts to weigh in here, but so far as I'm aware you're fine.
Thank you for the answer! Do you make me really happy, this things are worrying me since i got the Versys I'm waiting for true experts too, but thank you a lot...you give me hope!
P.s. where is the other thread?
aboyandhisversys likes this.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 03:54 PM

Make sure the calipers are securely bolted on. Check the torque. My brakes have never made any kind of sound like that.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
Make sure the calipers are securely bolted on. Check the torque. My brakes have never made any kind of sound like that.
Already did today. I went to my dealer for the first service and I asked to the mechanic to check this noise. He tried the vehicle and he checked all the front part of the motorcycle and he told me that it is perfect and the noise is normal and it's caused by the floating calipers and floating discs. It can make the noise or it doesn't depends on how the caliper hooks the discs.

I'm confused about this matter because one person says it's normal, another person says it's not normal, one person says that his bikes makes the same noise and another ones says the contrary. I have a brand new bike and right now I can't full enjoy it because I still don't know it that noise is normal or not
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 09:29 PM

i have a 2008 V. i just went into the garage to verify what i already knew. with the bike not running, when you lightly engage the front brake lever, there is a predictable and consistent, audible click. assuming your bike is new and your brakes operate normal while riding, with no brake fluid on the floor where you park it, etc. if that's the sound you're hearing, it's normal.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 09:37 PM

there can be, of course, other brake sounds while riding, if the rotors or pads are dirty, or while the new pads are being broken in and getting seated. make sure brake fluid levels are adequate, no line or caliper leaks, and that everything is bolted on correctly.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyvous59 View Post
i have a 2008 V. i just went into the garage to verify what i already knew. with the bike not running, when you lightly engage the front brake lever, there is a predictable and consistent, audible click. assuming your bike is new and your brakes operate normal while riding, with no brake fluid on the floor where you park it, etc. if that's the sound you're hearing, it's normal.
Quote:
there can be, of course, other brake sounds while riding, if the rotors or pads are dirty, or while the new pads are being broken in and getting seated. make sure brake fluid levels are adequate, no line or caliper leaks, and that everything is bolted on correctly.
I did check everything yesterday from my Kawasaki's mechanich. As i said, he told me that the bike is perfect and that the noise is caused by the movement of the floating caliper with the floating rotors.
Anyway, with the bike not running, i don't hear that noise. I hear it during the normal use, with the bike running and turned on.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
That's the sound of the brake light switch actuating.

The OP is hearing the sounds of the pads sliding in the calipers. It's fine. There's clearances where the pad sits, as the pad grabs the rotor, the pad gets pulled to the front of those clearances - that's the sound you're hearing.

My new Tiger has fully floating Brembo front rotors - they make a ton of noise.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
That's the sound of the brake light switch actuating.
This.

Quote:
The OP is hearing the sounds of the pads sliding in the calipers. It's fine. There's clearances where the pad sits, as the pad grabs the rotor, the pad gets pulled to the front of those clearances - that's the sound you're hearing.
So it's everything normal and fine? If so, i don't understand why other V. 2018 like mine, doesn't make that noise. Is there an explanation for this?
Besides, look here: https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...n-braking.html
as you can read, the OP heared my same noise, but no one in there talked about the calipers and rotors.

Quote:
My new Tiger has fully floating Brembo front rotors - they make a ton of noise.
I can imagine, the fully floating makes a lot of noise. Anyway, i hear exactly that kind of noise sometimes, when i pull the front brake lever (especially at low speed)
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu10 View Post
Thank you for the answer! Do you make me really happy, this things are worrying me since i got the Versys I'm waiting for true experts too, but thank you a lot...you give me hope!

search the site using the "advanced search" under TOOLS for "brake noise" (without the " marks) and you'll find it.

good luck, as others WAY smarter than I have said, your noise is normal.

if it wasn't others would have complained in here about the brake problems. You'll note that there are no issues in the forum about sh!tty brakes.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 12:00 AM

My 2015 definitely does not make those kinds of noises, but apparently the front brakes are different on the '15 than on the later gen 3 bikes.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you for the answer! Do you make me really happy, this things are worrying me since i got the Versys <a href="http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/images/smilies/frown.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Frown" >:-)</a> I'm waiting for true experts too, but thank you a lot...you give me hope!

search the site using the "advanced search" under TOOLS for "brake noise" (without the " marks) and you'll find it.

good luck, as others WAY smarter than I have said, your noise is normal.

if it wasn't others would have complained in here about the brake problems. You'll note that there are no issues in the forum about sh!tty brakes.
Thanks, I will look into it.

Quote:
My 2015 definitely does not make those kinds of noises, but apparently the front brakes are different on the '15 than on the later gen 3 bikes.
That's what I talking about. If the noise is normal, I don't understand why a lot of people don't hear it.

Are you sure that the '15 brakes are different than my 2018 Versys?
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 10:06 AM

The brake pads are different for 2016 and later than for the 2015 according to recent threads on this forum.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
The brake pads are different for 2016 and later than for the 2015 according to recent threads on this forum.
The brake pads aren't involved in the matter tho. So the question remains: if it's normal, how's possible that a lot of people with the same identical motorcycle say that they don't hear this noise?

Inviato dal mio SM-G965F utilizzando Tapatalk
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 03:06 PM

I still think this is a tempest in a teacup..

Quote:
The brake pads aren't involved in the matter tho. So the question remains: if it's normal, how's possible that a lot of people with the same identical motorcycle say that they don't hear this noise?
Let's rein this in a little bit and put some reality on it.

The OP is a first time rider. To him, EVERYTHING sounds weird.

His hearing is prolly better than a lot of us, and he's concerned about a mechanical sound that the rest of us take for granted. Or not.

All that said, I usually use the part numbers on parts drawings to confirm or deny parts changing. This is how I found out that the case of oil filters that I have for my ZX14 fits my 650 Versys (yay!)

So, a little detective work would probably confirm if the front end has changed between model years.

A number of us have (bravely) said 'It's normal', and the dealer has checked the lad's bike and said 'It's normal.' There is a vanishingly small chance that his bike has bad brakes, or a bad component, but I'd bet a good portion of my next social security check that 'It's normal.'

I'd be looking at other stuff like fairing pieces causing grief, noise coming up through the fairing/front wheel well and bouncing off the windshield, or simple new rider fears.
If all else fails, pull the damned front lever and see if the bike stops like it should.
Do a simple common sense inspection and see if it looks like anything has fallen off or is missing. If not, I'd ride the thing, try the brakes periodically and see if they continue to work more or less normally.

I'd still bet my next social security check that 'It's normal.'

His Mileage May Vary, and I could be completely wrong....

I just don't really wanna scare this kid to death with him thinking that there's a problem where there's not, given the fact that:
a) this is a new motorcycle, and
b) a current model motorcycle where production defects are sorta like honest politicans, (rare as hell) and
c) ditto for the dealer. The shop MAY have missed something, but this is highly unlikely.

At the end of the day, there's likely nothing wrong.

JMO.

Last edited by aboyandhisversys; 07-06-2018 at 03:33 PM.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Let's rein this in a little bit and put some reality on it.

The OP is a first time rider. To him, EVERYTHING sounds weird.

His hearing is prolly better than a lot of us, and he's concerned about a mechanical sound that the rest of us take for granted. Or not.

All that said, I usually use the part numbers on parts drawings to confirm or deny parts changing. This is how I found out that the case of oil filters that I have for my ZX14 fits my 650 Versys (yay!)

So, a little detective work would probably confirm if the front end has changed between model years.

A number of us have (bravely) said 'It's normal', and the dealer has checked the lad's bike and said 'It's normal.' There is a vanishingly small chance that his bike has bad brakes, or a bad component, but I'd bet a good portion of my next social security check that 'It's normal.'

I'd be looking at other stuff like fairing pieces causing grief, noise coming up through the fairing/front wheel well and bouncing off the windshield, or simple new rider fears.
If all else fails, pull the damned front lever and see if the bike stops like it should.
Do a simple common sense inspection and see if it looks like anything has fallen off or is missing. If not, I'd ride the thing, try the brakes periodically and see if they continue to work more or less normally.

I'd still bet my next social security check that 'It's normal.'

His Mileage May Vary, and I could be completely wrong....

I just don't really wanna scare this kid to death with him thinking that there's a problem where there's not, given the fact that:
a) this is a new motorcycle, and
b) a current model motorcycle where production defects are sorta like honest politicans, (rare as hell.)

At the end of the day, there's prolly nothing wrong.

JMO.
Hi aboyandhisversys, you quoted my message and I'm the OP

Anyway I have to read your post again because I'm not English so I have to understand well what you wrote, but as I said the bike works without problem and the mechanic checked the bike and told me that the noise is normal, and that is happens sometimes because the movement of the floating caliper and the floating rotors.
The thing is that 1)i had bad experience with mechanics in general, so I don't know if he told me the truth or not and 2)some people says that it's normal, but there is the fact that a lot of people doesn't hear it.
Other than that, I founded a post of another user with the exact same "problem" and no one on that thread talked about the floating rotors and that it's normal. I'm a little bit confusing

post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Hi aboyandhisversys, you quoted my message and I'm the OP

Anyway I have to read your post again because I'm not English so I have to understand well what you wrote, but as I said the bike works without problem and the mechanic checked the bike and told me that the noise is normal, and that is happens sometimes because the movement of the floating caliper and the floating rotors.
The thing is that 1)i had bad experience with mechanics in general, so I don't know if he told me the truth or not and 2)some people says that it's normal, but there is the fact that a lot of people doesn't hear it.
Other than that, I founded a post of another user with the exact same "problem" and no one on that thread talked about the floating rotors and that it's normal. I'm a little bit confusing

Sorry. I'm wordy.

Floating rotors simply mean (in this case) that the rotors (discs) are not permanently mounted.

The discs use a rivet (for lack of a better word) to hold the rotors in place on the hubs (carriers) so that they can expand with the heat of usage and not warp or stick.
They can rattle or squeak or make weird noises because the rotors, the calipers, the pads, and the mounting hardware all have to 'take up the slack' when the lever is applied. It's all normal, and I wouldn't worry about it.

The end result of all this: go ride the bike and have fun! Don't worry unless the brakes don't work.

Last edited by aboyandhisversys; 07-06-2018 at 03:45 PM.
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 03:53 PM

"The brake pads aren't involved in the matter tho. So the question remains: if it's normal, how's possible that a lot of people with the same identical motorcycle say that they don't hear this noise? "

Because most of us are old farts whose hearing isn't worth a darn after a lifetime of riding without ear plugs and/or helmets. The only good news is that when your wife claims she told you something, you can say that your hearing is not what it used to be.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 10:10 PM

The clearances between the holes on the brake pads and the pins they slide on can also contribute to the clicking noise.

People that aren't hearing it probably have bikes with some miles on then where there's brake dust everywhere preventing the pads and rotors from moving like they should. OP's bike is brand new, so it makes sense that he's hearing it more pronounced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode