Rear tire tiny pinhole - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By silviefox
  • 3 Post By twowheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Rear tire tiny pinhole

Noticed my crappy original Dunlop rear tire was a little deflated last couple days. I was losing 3 to 5 psi per day due to a tiny pinhole I found using the water-soap method. Found out Dunlop offers tire replacement if thread has not reached 50% wear but I'm thinking about dumping them for good. It seems the pinhole was caused by tire defect instead of any sort of piercing because it looks more like a tiny little crack rather than a hole. Those Dunlop sucks anyway. Any thoughts? Should I insist on Dunlops?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 10:49 AM

Don't want Dunlop on any of my bikes.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 11:41 AM

The Dunlop Road Smart III that I put on the back of mine (at a bit over 4K) seems to be wearing nicely (I've got about 6K on it now with very little sign of wear). The front is still the OEM (2015 with 10K+) but will be replaced this fall.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 12:29 PM

I wouldn't put the same model tire on the bike! If they'll give credit towards something else then it may be worth pursuing.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 12:44 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Chicago View Post
Noticed my crappy original Dunlop rear tire was a little deflated last couple days. I was losing 3 to 5 psi per day due to a tiny pinhole I found using the water-soap method. Found out Dunlop offers tire replacement if thread has not reached 50% wear but I'm thinking about dumping them for good. It seems the pinhole was caused by tire defect instead of any sort of piercing because it looks more like a tiny little crack rather than a hole. Those Dunlop sucks anyway. Any thoughts? Should I insist on Dunlops?
get it replaced for free then replace it with a better tire and sell the free dumbloop to someone in need
Fly-Sig likes this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 01:24 PM

Garage
Nothing wrong with Dunlop 3s. Pinhole is most likely from nail. I had this issue recently. Mark hole with white grease pen or some other way before removing tire. Patch from inside after roughing up inside rubber. Very important - use lots of glue to seal edges of inside patch and allow several hours cure time before reinstalling tire. Good as new. You will not be able to find hole unless you carefully mark it before removing tire. Just get a new tire if it is almost worn out or over 5 years from manufacture date on sidewall.

Current "best" sport tour tire is probably Michelin Pilot Road 5 although Metzeller Roadtec 1 are excellent too. Dunlop Roadsmart 3 seems to get satisfactory ratings and is probably not a bad tire at discount.

The difference between premium sport tour tires is probably not noticeable to mere mortals without test equipment and a flooded test track.

Last edited by twowheels; 07-04-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode