• 2 Post By Skypilot 69
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By aboyandhisversys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
17A

2018 Backfiring on Decel

2018 650 SE

Since new my bike does what sounds like a backfire on deceleration. Not all the time. I would say approx 10% of the time. Always when rev-matching on deceleration going from 3rd to 2nd. Once in a while from 4th to 3rd. The bike runs flawlessly besides that. I bought the bike about 2 1/2 weeks ago and now have almost 2900 kms on it and it has done it since the 1st ride home. Do you think it is because they are set so lean because of emissions?

2018 Versys 650 SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 07:23 PM

Check where the exhaust header pipe bolts to the engine. If there is an exhaust leak there the bike will make a backfiring or popping sound on deceleration.

Being as it is a new bike, I would take it back to the dealer.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 08:23 PM

Garage
+1 on the exhaust leak. Easy way to check for leaks is to take a lit cigarette and pass it close to where the exhaust connects while the engine is running. If there is a leak you will see the smoke from the cigarette go into the spot of the leak...
Skypilot 69 likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 09:31 PM

It its a loud backfire +1 on the leak. If it is just some popping, that is just the PAIR valve and is normal (though not too noticable with stock exhaust).
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 10:59 PM

Garage
Is it backfiring or afterfiring--backfiring is though the intake-afterfiring through the exhaust-makes a difference-the main cause of both is a lean mixture-and or an air leak

Deep in Cajun Country
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
17A

It does it about 10% of the time when I am downshifting and Rev-Matching. Example....I am in 3rd going to 2nd. Pull in Clutch and Give a quick shot of throttle to match engine speeds with rear wheel but instead it backfires / sputters once in a while when doing this. Makes a loud Pop or backfire, not sure which it is. Sometimes it just chokes and gags. Not often just once in a while. Almost always in 3rd to 2nd, but occasionally from 4th to 3rd.

2018 Versys 650 SE
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 05:09 AM

My 2009 Versys makes a "popping" sound when I do similar with the throttle and downshifting. It only seems to make one or two "pop" noises and then continues as it should. Every once in a while I can get it to do it when I just rev the engine, but normally it only happens during a gearshift. I just assumed it was normal or maybe my air filter is clogged as I've never cleaned/changed it so I might be running rich instead of lean.

Edit:I've had the bike for about 8 months and put just over 3000 miles on it. It had 16464 when I first got it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 07:47 AM

Garage
So it sounds like when you are trying to rev match for downshifts when you blip the throttle, instead of it revving, it kind of pops and sputters. I had mine do that once, it was alarming. Are you downshifting pretty conservatively? As in, are you carrying the current gear to a pretty low RPM before you downshift to the next one? I'd also think in this case as a shot in the dark, maybe check your air filter and make sure it's seated properly?

-
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwray View Post
So it sounds like when you are trying to rev match for downshifts when you blip the throttle, instead of it revving, it kind of pops and sputters. I had mine do that once, it was alarming. Are you downshifting pretty conservatively? As in, are you carrying the current gear to a pretty low RPM before you downshift to the next one? I'd also think in this case as a shot in the dark, maybe check your air filter and make sure it's seated properly?
I think you are describing what I am doing. Thanks for the explanation. Air filter is on the list of things to do soon anyway.

Didn't mean to hijack thread, but I had similar experience to OP. Like most things, its just me panicking because I'm not riding "correctly".
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Warranty

If the 18 is anything like the 15, I wouldn't be surprised to find the airbox not seated properly. My 15 , the airbox almost had to be pried out due to the tight wiring harness, this sits on a angle so very easy to appear mounted correctly when it isn't. I used about 8 of the 100 LB black wire ties to pull my harness back to the frame, now the airbox is easy to remove. And air bypassing this could be the root cause. Only way I know of to check this is removing the gas tank.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot 69 View Post
Check where the exhaust header pipe bolts to the engine. If there is an exhaust leak there the bike will make a backfiring or popping sound on deceleration.

Being as it is a new bike, I would take it back to the dealer.

What he said. Back to dealer.
Skypilot 69 likes this.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
17A

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwray View Post
Now that you mention it, it does seem to do it when I am doing "Conservative" downshifts. Never does it on higher RPM downshifts. And just to clarify. It is never doing it when the transmission is engaged, only when clutch is disengaged and I go to Blip the throttle, does is do the firecraker sound or bog / gag a bit. So technically not on deceleration. I will do some further experimentation.

2018 Versys 650 SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode