Gen 3 Accelerator Cable - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By _Big_Mac_
  • 1 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

Gen 3 Accelerator Cable

So I may have done something very stupid.

The Bit of cable exposed had accumulated a lot of grease/dirt build up, and in my quest to mess with something, I sprayed WD40 over that exposed bit and proceeded to lightly rub it down with a cloth to clean the excess dirt build up. The cable fibers snagged the cloth and the next thing you know, its frayed a tiny bit!

Do I change this out?

Was the cable already weak, and this was just waiting to happen or did I just screw it up myself? Live and learn.

The bike's done close to 40,000 kms. Have never lubed the throttle cables and was just thinking of doing it and this happens.

Fortunately I have a spare full throttle/decel cable assy, but trying to figure out how to replace it on this forum and I find nothing. Was trying to see if there's some kind of basic guide on how to go about doing it. Service manual doesn't really say anything about replacing this cable.

Anyone?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180624_181322586.jpg (64.9 KB, 24 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 04:32 AM

I've had mine replaced during a routine service check @ 42000 km. I guess that might just be about their normal lifetime, don't worry too much about goofing up.

I'm not sure if replacing throttle cables can be done similarly to replacing clutch cables, but there's a trick with clutch cables - detach the mountings (at the lever and at the engine), tie the new cable's end to the old cable, pull the whole thing through and you end up with the old cable removed and new one sitting in it's place, with correct routing and all. All that's left is to attach the new cable to the mounting points. It might be more difficult with a throttle cable, I don't know.
NightRider likes this.

2015 Versys 650
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Big mac. So I understand the portion that's frayed a tiny bit is the return cable and is not therefore mission critical to replace immediately. The pull cable seems to be in good spec, however will get down to lubing both cables this week.

I am wondering if I can just loctite the frayed strands a tiny bit to give them the tensile strength to keep things together for a while more.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red liner View Post
Thanks Big mac. So I understand the portion that's frayed a tiny bit is the return cable and is not therefore mission critical to replace immediately. The pull cable seems to be in good spec, however will get down to lubing both cables this week.

I am wondering if I can just loctite the frayed strands a tiny bit to give them the tensile strength to keep things together for a while more.
Putting anything that will stiffen it up is not the right thing to do. It needs to flex around the pivot. Oil soaked it wouldn't adhere anyway.
Replacement would probably be the only recourse.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Throttle Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by red liner View Post
So I may have done something very stupid.

The Bit of cable exposed had accumulated a lot of grease/dirt build up, and in my quest to mess with something, I sprayed WD40 over that exposed bit and proceeded to lightly rub it down with a cloth to clean the excess dirt build up. The cable fibers snagged the cloth and the next thing you know, its frayed a tiny bit!

Do I change this out?

Was the cable already weak, and this was just waiting to happen or did I just screw it up myself? Live and learn.

The bike's done close to 40,000 kms. Have never lubed the throttle cables and was just thinking of doing it and this happens.

Fortunately I have a spare full throttle/decel cable assy, but trying to figure out how to replace it on this forum and I find nothing. Was trying to see if there's some kind of basic guide on how to go about doing it. Service manual doesn't really say anything about replacing this cable.

Anyone?
I am surprised I found the post, https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...light=throttle and yes the manual lacks clarity on the assembly. The above link should help. Having a new cable, first suggestion is to lube it before you install it, secondly you should have a good cable lubber attachment , one the clamps over the cable and you can force lube in, I use either silicone spray or my Dupont multipurpose lube, same as for my chain. FYI this isn't a lube thread
red liner likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 06-28-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode