• 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By Jack of Heats JoH
  • 1 Post By motorboy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
17A

Oil Filter

2018 Versys 650 SE

Just did my 1000 km oil / filter change and found that the Filter that was on the bike was not the same part number as the filter I bought at the dealer.

The one that was on my bike from new was Part # 16097 - 0552 (Made in Taiwan)

The one I bought at the dealership was Part # 16097 - 0008 (Made in China)

They were identical from what I could tell. I put the new one on, filled up with new oil and everything works fine.

Any concerns?

2018 Versys 650 SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 01:05 PM

Garage
Hey 17A,
I guess not! I use WIX, but that is just me. May have gone through a part number change. You might want to call them and ask...??

BEST,
ANDY

"ALWAYS IN QUESTION, NEVER IN DOUBT".
Visit me at andyversystheworld on Facebook for Pictures and Updates.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 01:41 PM

I like the ones with a nut on the top for taking off and putting on,like Hi Flo.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 04:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17A View Post
2018 Versys 650 SE

Just did my 1000 km oil / filter change and found that the Filter that was on the bike was not the same part number as the filter I bought at the dealer.

They were identical from what I could tell. I put the new one on, filled up with new oil and everything works fine.

Any concerns?

Not an issue. The V-650 and V-1000 use the same filter. My 2016 Versys 1000 came from the factory with the # 16097 - 0008. Hope yours came off easier than mine. Had to drive a screw driver through it to get it off...

First Oil Change 600 miles by weljo2001, on Flickr
Morgan2112 likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
17A

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Not an issue. The V-650 and V-1000 use the same filter. My 2016 Versys 1000 came from the factory with the # 16097 - 0008. Hope yours came off easier than mine. Had to drive a screw driver through it to get it off...

First Oil Change 600 miles by weljo2001, on Flickr
Mine was a bit tight but I used a band oil filter wrench so it was no problem getting it off.

Thanx for the info everyone. I called the dealer and they confirmed that the 0008 Part number was the correct filter for my bike as well as many others.
andyversystheworld likes this.

2018 Versys 650 SE
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 07:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Mine was a bit tight but I used a band oil filter wrench so it was no problem getting it off.

Thanx for the info everyone. I called the dealer and they confirmed that the 0008 Part number was the correct filter for my bike as well as many others.

Yep, I've used the exact same filter on my last 3 bikes. Its a PC Racing PCS-1 Re-Usable Filter. It fit my V-650 my FJR 1300 and my Versys 1000. When i would get a new bike i just took the filter off the old bike and put it on the new one. So I've had the same filter for 8 years...........https://www.amazon.com/PC-Racing-PCS...s+1+oil+filter

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 09:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaklucas View Post
I like the ones with a nut on the top for taking off and putting on,like Hi Flo.
A little FYI that nut on top is for removing ONLY not putting it on-it's only spot welded and can break a spot weld and leak- K&N the other filter with the nut on top just had a recall for this very thing-years ago the K&N was made by HI Flo than they went to China quality went down the tubes--Hi Flo is still a very good OEM- TUV approved style filter
quexpress and jaaklucas like this.

Deep in Cajun Country
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 10:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
2018 Versys 650 SE

Any concerns?
To answer your question the reason the numbers are different is the Taiwan made filter is not a Kawasaki replacement part-it's only available in east Asia where the bike is made-it does not go in the replacement parts pipe line
andyversystheworld likes this.

Deep in Cajun Country
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
17A

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorboy View Post
To answer your question the reason the numbers are different is the Taiwan made filter is not a Kawasaki replacement part-it's only available in east Asia where the bike is made-it does not go in the replacement parts pipe line
Good info, thanx.

2018 Versys 650 SE
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 06:59 AM

The original oil filter used to be # 16097-0004 made in Japan, as on my 2007 Versys 650 which was made in Japan.

16097-0004 made in Japan cut open: Oil filter 16097-0004 vs 16097-0002 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

16097-0008 made in China cut open:
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 03:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
A little FYI that nut on top is for removing ONLY not putting it on-it's only spot welded and can break a spot weld and leak- K&N the other filter with the nut on top just had a recall for this very thing-years ago the K&N was made by HI Flo than they went to China quality went down the tubes--Hi Flo is still a very good OEM- TUV approved style filter

The recall was only on the 204 part numbers ...while I currently use Hi Filtro, I've used K&N in the past and would use them again without worry.
aboyandhisversys likes this.

2016 green V1K
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 04:36 PM

Garage
I prefer filters with proper filtration media rather than reusable stainless steel mesh filters. Regardless if it is for fuel, oil, or drinking water. As an example, I sharpen some of my knives with abrasives that are 10x finer than the best stainless mesh filter could trap. I know how much wear the fine abrasives cause, I don't want that for my engines...

I'm currently running a Purolator BOSS filter (PBL14610). It is expensive at $25CDN, but it has a synthetic filter media with a polymer mesh backing that claims to have a 99% first pass efficiency. It also seems to flow well as the oil pressure warning light goes out almost instantly when I start the bike. Being slightly larger than the stock filter doesn't hurt either.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 06:52 PM

Garage
Do you replace the filter element or do you clean it? How do you clean it?

Randy
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 08:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyjaco View Post
Do you replace the filter element or do you clean it? How do you clean it?

Randy

Just clean it. I spray on Purple Power or another spray on degreaser. I use to just use goop hand cleaner and hot water.. The video below uses brake cleaner. Once i clean it good with the degreaser i rinse it well with hot water. Then i shake out the left over water or use a compressor to blow out the excessive water. Or just let it sit in the sun awhile to dry.....

crosshairs likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 11:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosshairs View Post
The recall was only on the 204 part numbers ...while I currently use Hi Filtro, I've used K&N in the past and would use them again without worry.
I know it's the 204 that was recalled--I never said don't use K&N -I said don't use the nut on top to install it-but you do what you want

Deep in Cajun Country
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 07:05 AM

Quote:
I know it's the 204 that was recalled--I never said don't use K&N -I said don't use the nut on top to install it-but you do what you want
I use the K&N filter and use the nut to remove and install the filter. Make sure mating surfaces are clean run a little oil around the O ring with my finger, hand tighten then something like 1/4 to 1/2 turn only to snug the filter on. Important to not over-tighten the filter when installing it.
crosshairs likes this.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 07:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Perhaps I misinterpreted your post, I took the fact that you stated they were made in china and of questionable quality to mean that people should not use them ..

as far as me stating its the KN204 that was recalled, you may know it but others may not and that could lead to someone thinking they have a bad filter on their Versys ..since we use a 303 number, ( both in K&N and Hi-Filtro) there is no reason to worry...I wanted to get that out there so that someone skimming the post did not get the wrong information.

2016 green V1K
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 09:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosshairs View Post
Perhaps I misinterpreted your post, I took the fact that you stated they were made in china and of questionable quality to mean that people should not use them ..

as far as me stating its the KN204 that was recalled, you may know it but others may not and that could lead to someone thinking they have a bad filter on their Versys ..since we use a 303 number, ( both in K&N and Hi-Filtro) there is no reason to worry...I wanted to get that out there so that someone skimming the post did not get the wrong information.
No- no nothing wrong with the 303-maybe the way I wrote it-if anyone wants to use K&N go for it-but if you do a little digging you will find a review of the old K&N vr the new made in China K&N-it's not the same filter-and as I stated before it's OEM or Hi Flo for me
crosshairs likes this.

Deep in Cajun Country
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode