Gear Position Sender Wire? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Gear Position Sender Wire?

I'm missing the gear position indicator I had on the Suzuki GS I just sold to get into the Versys. Aftermarket indicators are very expensive by the time they get here to Australia, so I thought I'd have a go a setting one up.

Is there a gear position sender wire on the Versys? I'm told that the norm is to have a feed that has a different resistance for each gear. My thought is to tap into this for the signal.

It was a whole lot easier on the Suzuki (1981 technology) which had a multi-pole switch with a different wire for each gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 06:19 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
This should help you: http://www.acumen-electronics.co.uk/...20guide%20.pdf
(page 6) Refer to ER-6N.
Wow. Now I see how it works. It just looks at the relation between speed and rpm, and helps prevent looking for that elusive 7th gear.

Last edited by invader; 12-05-2008 at 05:05 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

The trouble with the speedo/tacho model is that it does not work when the bike is not moving, and blipping down the gears in traffic fools it because the revs are not stable. In my new job I ride this bike in the traffic more than the old (heavy) GS1000G, and I didn't realise I relied on the indicator the way I do. It's a 'old dog/new trick' kind of thing.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 01:37 PM

My Gixxer 1000 has a gear indicator and I can't believe the manufacturers don't put this display on every single bike. With a sequential shift pattern, it really is the way to go.

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Glad to see you're with me, Hacktracker. Lots of people reckon, 'Real riders can match the revs in their head' etc.

However, I've found and downloaded the Versys service manual and the wiring diagram has no mention of a gear indicator wire. Rats.

I also want to set up self-cancelling blinkers, another thing my 1981 GS1000G had. But the blinker switch on the Versys is mechanical (whereas the Suzuki blinkers were all electrical) and so I'm locked into remembering to cancell them myself. Same response on this issue from the purists - 'Real bikers remember etc.' But if their car blinkers weren't self-cancelling it would be a different response.

Kim

Last edited by Doctor Shifty; 12-09-2008 at 01:40 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 10:14 AM

I think a gear indicator is a safety device. With a quick glance you will know what kind of power to expect when you roll back on the throttle.

If you're leaned over and expect 3rd gear acceleration from the Vs. and you happen to be in 2nd gear, you may just overwhelm the tire.

I may get one of those aftermarket models, be cause I really do miss having one.

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode