08 650 burning oil left cyl - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

08 650 burning oil left cyl

This came on rather sudden. Most likely from riding in sugar sand that got ingested. I'm still riding it and been topping off the oil as needed. In the pass 2000 miles, I've been adding about half a quart every 100 miles. The left plug did foul once but otherwise it runs pretty close to normal. I'm guessing a oil ring? I could tare it down but with 38K I'm looking too save time and find another new (used) bike. Most likely another Versys. I can't figure out how I should get rid of it. How low should I go on selling price?
https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/mcy/d/08-kawasaki-versys/6612886589.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 11:45 PM

It would probably need new piston rings for both cylinders, along with new valve seals with inspection of valves, valve guides and seats.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...40k-miles.html

You could correct your spelling mistakes, and accept what you can get considering it requires engine repairs. ($1,900 or best offer)

"... Pelican hard case as well as top case. Charging system was upgraded with series type voltage regulator. Aftermarket seat. Burns oil unfortunately, but still runs strong. Gets 45 mpg. Despite the oil problem, I've ridden this bike on long trips and my daily commute all winter. Recent maintenance includes valve clearance adjustment and coolant flush. Tires, chain and sprockets are good. I'm only selling because it's burning half a quart of oil every 100 miles and I don't have time to repair it. No scams or sob stories please!"

Last edited by invader; 06-13-2018 at 12:03 AM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the spelling edits. I'm really moving and only taking one bike. I've already read through that other thread and decided not to tackle this job. I guess I could take it to repair shop for estimate.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 06:52 AM

Garage
I would be very surprised if you saw anywhere close to $1900.00 for a 10 year old bike that needs engine repairs .

GLWS either way

2016 green V1K
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Watch for either a Versys 650 or Ninja 650 engine for sale on Ebay or Craigslist....

Probably the cheapest solution.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 11:48 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Watch for either a Versys 650 or Ninja 650 engine for sale on Ebay or Craigslist....

Probably the cheapest solution.
What Ed said........ look for a used engine.... if you ingested debris such as sand it's not just the rings that are toast... that engine is likely done for.... a rebuild will just be a ticking time bomb... just not worth it....

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." George Carlin, US comedian and actor (1937 - 2008)

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 05:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
($1,900 or best offer)
$1,900? You're out of your mind! You would be lucky to get $700 from a non sucker! Of course you can ask whatever you want, but you first have to be reasonable to even start to attract folks. His bike is burning so much oil, the engine is considered blown, it is a dead bike! A dead motorcycle engine on a motorcycle, means the motorcycle is nothing more than a paperweight, it's just a roller! The repairs will be extensive and very involved! You would make far more parting it out realistically.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 05:43 PM

Garage
Or since your in Florida. Most women seem to drive big SUV's there just one day (by accident) park your bike close up behind the little ladies SUV and have her back up over it.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel13 View Post
$1,900? You're out of your mind! You would be lucky to get $700 from a non sucker! Of course you can ask whatever you want, but you first have to be reasonable to even start to attract folks. His bike is burning so much oil, the engine is considered blown, it is a dead bike! A dead motorcycle engine on a motorcycle, means the motorcycle is nothing more than a paperweight, it's just a roller! The repairs will be extensive and very involved! You would make far more parting it out realistically.
It's not dead. Where can you find a roller that can go 100 mph.
I never said I wasn't open to offers. There may be someone looking for cheap transportation who does not mind dealing with the oil issue. I'm not into making a project out of this.
invader likes this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

So the ninja engine is a option? Maybe I'll contact this seller.
https://miami.craigslist.org/search/...ex650&sort=rel
invader, onewizard and Skypilot 69 like this.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 07:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puttering View Post
It's not dead. Where can you find a roller that can go 100 mph.
I never said I wasn't open to offers. There may be someone looking for cheap transportation who does not mind dealing with the oil issue. I'm not into making a project out of this.
Reread what I said. Heavy oil consumption is a bad engine period, ask any mechanic! It is not cheap transportation, it is a piece of junk! Unless it is running good, it is not good! Do you even know what a roller is? You are only fooling yourself...
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Its running good. Tell me, what is a roller?
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 09:16 PM

Garage
A roller means the vehicle basically comes with no engine. Burning a quart of oil every 200 miles is NOT running good! It runs so well that you are complaining about it and trying to get rid of it, or at least pass off the maintenance required to someone else. The engine requires an overhaul at the very least. You also have to consider the engine and transmission are also one. The bike is not a classic in anyway, so someone wanting to by this as is and willing to repair it is very doubtful and would therefore would be classified as a roller since even though it has an engine, it is unlikely to ever be used again as a whole. Scrapping it or parting it out is your best bet. If the frame is good and you have a clean title for it, that alone can bring you up to $1k return.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Yes it is an excellent option. Ninja 650R engine uses different camshafts and also has more power. It's actually the original 650 twin to which the Versys engine was derived from... What's his name used that engine for his custom off-road Versys 650 build. He really likes the difference and calls it the cop motor option.

That particular used engine listed appears to be in great condition. It still has the OEM countershaft sprocket which shows very little wear.
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by invader; 06-13-2018 at 09:59 PM.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

Series regulator

Quote:
Another advantage, you have completed the conversion, no worries of stator failure. All connectors should match, I noticed the sight glass for the oil level looks off in the photo. I doubt you could find a bike for under $1000.I would jump at that used motor, provided there is some assurance this is working & in good shape.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I noticed the sight glass for the oil level looks off in the photo.

Haha yeah it did for a second, but it is absolutely normal. The engine is tilted backwards with the cylinders upright! Look at the oil capacity sticker's angle as it's parallel with the oil sight glass channel, like it should.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

I contacted the seller. It's from a 2007. I'm going to check this out further. I was a little concern when they boost about a new paint job.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
... What's his name used that engine for his custom off-road Versys 650 build. He really likes the difference and calls it the cop motor option....
That'd be "jdrocks".
invader likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

I went over and had a look at this 07 ninja engine. Seem legit. From reading the ninja / Versys comparison thread I'm not confident this would be a easy swap. Would the ECM need a remap in this case?
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I went over and had a look at this 07 ninja engine. Seem legit. From reading the ninja / Versys comparison thread I'm not confident this would be a easy swap. Would the ECM need a remap in this case?
My understanding is the difference is in the cams, you should ask if he has the ecu, although I think it will run fine with the Versys ECU. I am sure if this isn't the case Invader will correct me.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ight=ninja+cam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode