Wheel Alignment - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 5Likes
  • 5 Post By hawkerjet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Wheel Alignment

I sure hope this does not go the way of an Oil Thread...Here goes.

Having tried several ways to check wheel alignment I believe I found a way that is the easiest and perhaps most accurate.

After doing the parallel string method. The 7 foot long angle iron on each side method. The chain alignment tool method. And of course the factory marks on the swing arm. After trying all these I dreamed up the following.

Someone gave me a laser level as a gift a few years ago. Hardly ever used it until now. Wedge it against the sides of the tire to create the rear wheel alignment plane. The beam then projects it forward.

The trick is to move the front wheel, side to side, until you have an equal distance from the front of the rim to the beam and the rear of the the rim to the beam. After I did this with a tape measure I decided it would be easier to just mark a dowel. Do this on one side of the bike, then do the other side. Move the rear wheel adjusters so the distance from the beam to the rim is equal on both sides. Now your wheels are in alignment.

High Tech Okie Engineering at it's finest. For you pilots out there, this is way easier than the cat, string, and glass of water IFR method...Lol.

The following link is excellent and will splain it so it makes sense...even if you live in Rio Linda.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.

Last edited by hawkerjet; 06-09-2018 at 11:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 12:51 PM

I'm wondering if perhaps a laser tool on the front disks could be pointed backwards. I've got one of those little laser chain alignment tools, not a long level like you have. Something to fiddle with.

Is it simple/easy to adjust the lateral position of the rear wheel?

My alignment has always been to get the chain straight from the rear sprocket all the way to the front sprocket. Moving the wheel laterally would mess this up.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
I'm wondering if perhaps a laser tool on the front disks could be pointed backwards. I've got one of those little laser chain alignment tools, not a long level like you have. Something to fiddle with.

Is it simple/easy to adjust the lateral position of the rear wheel?

My alignment has always been to get the chain straight from the rear sprocket all the way to the front sprocket. Moving the wheel laterally would mess this up.
Watch the vid it splains the rear wheel movement.

The wheel does not move side to side. The adjuster screws cause it to "turn" just as does the front but only a small amount.

The result is 2 fold. Sprocket alignment and more importantly rear wheel to front wheel alignment.

A way to dynamically check alignment is a road test. Find a long, flat, deserted stretch of road. Get up to highway speed in top gear and let go of the bars. If wheels are in line the bike will track pretty strait not requiring any input. If the alignment is off you may notice the bike wanting to drift one way or the other, requiring a push on the bars to send it strait again. It's best to pick a fairly calm wind day as wind can skew your results.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 11:33 PM

Garage
Sounds like you took the old string method and brought it into the 21 century

Deep in Cajun Country
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorboy View Post
Sounds like you took the old string method and brought it into the 21 century
My thoughts exactly. I almost titled the thread "21st century string method."

Guess brilliant minds do think alike! Lol.

Cookin Wid Gas

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode