Fuel gauge not working - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Fuel gauge not working

I just purchased a 2009 Versys 650 with 2000 miles on it. The original owner died and it has been sitting for a few years. Everything is perfect except the fuel gauge does not work. I was told that this was a common problem with the Versys and to just reset a trip meter each time you filled up with gas and use it as a reference. If that is true, I will do that. If not, I will order a new tank sending unit. Has anyone had issues with the fuel gauge not working? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Greetings, John.

One of the guy's with a bigger helmet size than mine will no doubt jump in with more ideas soon, but a quick search and I yielded one possible thing to check for you to consider, taken from an old post by member *twowheels* (twowheels is an active member here and might jump in with some other input).

twowheels says:

"If you remove the tank, on the underside, in the middle is the fuel level sensor. I would check the connector first."

That being said, if you have not had the gas tank off yet on your own, we can help you with some tips on doing that. If you go at it blind, many have dropped their tanks, broken the stiff, ridged plastic fuel line, or worse, broken the fuel pump (EXPENSIVE TOO), so ask for help before going down that road. There is a clip to be manipulated on the fuel line that is a little odd to deal with your first time 'round.

Plus, while you are in there and possibly have the tank off, this would be a dandy time to pull the lid on your airbox and check/service your airfilter (another procedure you might want help with before commencing). If the bike has been sitting awhile, it would be unfortunate to find a mouse-nest or other obstructions in the airbox, plus if the previous rider has left us, you may not have any way to know the last time anyone has serviced the air filter.

PS: the air-filter is re-usable if it's not damaged... and expensive, don't throw the old one away!

================

All the best,

~paul
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. That's good info. I'm an X-endure rider just getting into adventure riding. I hear people trashing the Versys in the gravel, but I love it! I'm sure I will find my limits, but overall I am very pleased with this bike!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 01:58 PM

Tires make a big difference. The factory rubber on the Versys is crap. I went with a 90/10 road/dirt tire, the Pirelli Scorpion Trail II. They are superior on all surfaces to the factory Dunlops. Others here have more off-road capable tires than the Scorpion Trails on the V's and do some pretty adventurous riding. The bike is quite capable with a few mods like tires and crash bars.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
...Others here have more off-road capable tires than the Scorpion Trails on the V's and do some pretty adventurous riding. The bike is quite capable with a few mods like tires and crash bars.
I CURRENTLY run Shinko E705s on BOTH my Vs, a 120/70 on the front of my '15 while my '08 has a 130/80 (REAR tire) on its front (fender has been raised on the '08, about 1 3/4"), and BOTH have a 150/70 rear; altho' I USED to run Metzler Tourances (in the SAME sizes); and I HAVE run full-knobbies on the '08 (and on my '09 which "died" a few years back...).

I ALWAYS run the pressures at 36F, 42R on ALL those tires, as that protects the rims from impact damage.

Here's a TKC80 on the front

and a BIG BLOCK on the rear.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode