7th gear? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
7th gear?

I am still enjoying my V1, but I am awful at remembering what gear I am in. I am constantly trying to find 7th gear or discovering that I cursing in 5th
On my Honda I could always give the shifter a little lift and if it didn't budge I was in top gear. If I try that on my V1, I get a clutchless up shift.
Are there any tricks to figuring if I am in top gear?
What about those gear indicator lights? Can one be installed on a first Gen bike?

Thanks
Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

I'll just offer that one way to quickly determine "5th or 6th", is to know what RPM that represents on your particular bike.

A quick glance at the tach-- no harder than looking at a gear indicator-- what's your RPM's?

They will be 500 RPM's lower once you are in 6th.

Paint a temporary "dot" on the edge of your tach with some white-out. By the time it wears off, you should have memorized this basic exercise.

aboyandhisversys and webmost like this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 09:13 PM

Yup, tack/mph works for me on my V650. In 4th gear rpms=mph (4000 rpm = 40 mph), in 5th gear 1.2xrpms = mph (4000 rpm = 48 mph), and in 6th gear it is about 1.3xrpm = mph (4000 rpm= 55 mph). On the highway I don't really need to do the math, because the sound of the engine will tell me if I'm in top gear or not, most of the time. Sometimes I'm not sure and I'll try shifting up. I don't like looking down at the instruments on the highway if there's traffic, and there's always traffic. In town I use the math method a lot, but I don't really know why. Either I'm happy with the rpm for the conditions or not. If not, I should shift gears. I've thought about getting a gear indicator but it wouldn't really help me ride, and would probably be a distraction because I'd always be looking at it for no good reason!

My car is manual transmission and has a gear indicator on the instrument cluster. I don't really use it very often at all.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 09:14 PM

Garage
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...cator&_sacat=0

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 09:32 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i have an OEM gear indicator for your bike for sale PM if interested, its plug and play

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 10:06 PM

I kept looking for 7th getting on the freeway. Putting one of the $40 ebay gear indicators on solved it for me.
It takes a second after releasing the clutch, but thats generally ok.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 03:04 AM

Gear indicator works for me, plus I went to a 44T rear sprocket and prefer the gearing, less searching for a 7th gear.
quexpress likes this.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 09:15 AM

+1 for the gear indicator Weljo linked to. Also +1 for the 44T sprocket. My problem was at the other end of shifting. I know that I am at 5500 rpm at 65 mph, so easy to pick out 6th gear. But I am bad at cornering and sometimes think I have geared down low enough when I am actually in 3rd gear. So a quick glance helps me. It does take it a very short time to indicate the new gear you are in, and if you pull in the clutch, it will show the last gear you were in no matter if you shift some more. All that said, I really like the thing a lot. And for me, it really helped that on the V650 it was plug and play, so I installed it myself.
quexpress likes this.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 10:00 AM

RPM and bike feeling works for me. But that's me and I won't judge. Before cornering just reduce speed, shift down, release your clutch lever slightly and blip your throttle to get a feeling for what gear you're in.
It takes a bit of practice but you'll nail once you get used to.
unstable_rider likes this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 11:28 AM

I have the cheap gear indicator, and i like it. It will be a lot easier to read in sun light if you put a piece of dark window tint on the face.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyjaco View Post
...Are there any tricks to figuring if I am in top gear?...
Just take 'note' of your speed in 6th at 5,000 rpm, then divide that speed by "10". (On my '08 that's 70mph, which becomes 7.)

Take a quick look at your tach, divide the rpms by "500" then multiply that number by "7" to get the revs IF it's in 6th. Tells you right away if in 6th or NOT (HIGHER revs).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 01:23 PM

Garage
My experience has been you do not really need to know what gear you are in. The engine RPM (sound of engine), rate of acceleration or deceleration, and throttle position will all factor in to help you unconsciously determine if you need to upshift or downshift.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 01:30 PM

I'm looking for the "Ludicrous" gear that chugs along at 70mph at idle, other than that I just watch rpms to know when I should stop searching.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 02:06 PM

Garage
[QUOTE=cjcintucson;1564738]+1 for the gear indicator Weljo linked to.

Yea wish i would have found them sooner like before i ordered an OEM one. Also wish i had known the Vulcan S 12V Outlet worked on our bikes. Could have saved myself some coin...

P1010510 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 03:18 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
[quote=weljo2001;1565098]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
+1 for the gear indicator Weljo linked to.

Yea wish i would have found them sooner like before i ordered an OEM one. Also wish i had known the Vulcan S 12V Outlet worked on our bikes. Could have saved myself some coin...

P1010510 by weljo2001, on Flickr
ya thats the exact one i have for sale, new in the box and will do a far better price then factory, but not as good of a price as those cheap ebay ones
weljo2001 likes this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah, I know I should be capable of doing the math, but there are times when my mind is occupied with other things, like some car easing into my lane or some debris on the highway. And at some point I will be able to feel it, but until then, I'll cheat. Sylvie, there's a PM Headed your way.

Thanks for the replies

Randy
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 09:32 PM

Garage
I've just learned that depending on how fast I'm going and what my rpms are, I usually know what gear I'm in. But sometimes I still try shifting into 7th.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

I think we could have 10 speeds, and we might still look for 11 sometimes...

Great stuff you guys.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 09:38 AM

Yup, every bike I've owned, no matter the engine size or sprocket combination, has needed an additional gear. :^)

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable_rider View Post
I think we could have 10 speeds, and we might still look for 11 sometimes...

Great stuff you guys.
If you're Nigel Tufnel, yours would go to 11.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode