3Likes
  • 1 Post By invader
  • 1 Post By invader
  • 1 Post By znelson10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Water temperature warning light - flickers on/off

Hey guys,

Been trying to troubleshoot an issue on my 2013 Versys 650. While riding, the coolant like will flicker on and off. I noticed that when I hit bumps/rev the engine, it will flicker with these vibrations. I recently flushed the coolant and my radiator fan comes on in stop and go traffic, so I am not concerned that it is overheating. Also, the light comes on sometimes when the bike is parked. I also checked the coolant temperature sensor wiring/resistance. I was getting 5 volts at the connection, the ground had continuity with the engine ground, and I even placed a 200 ohm resistor across the connector to mimic the sensor (would mimic safe operating temperature) - the water temp warning light on the dash still did go out.

I would think it is not the ECU causing the issue as everything else seems to be working fine. The only other thing I can think is something loose in the wiring/connections inside the speedo gauge itself.

Please let me know if there is anything I can check or look for!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 02:19 AM

You need to find the bare spot on the coolant temperature sensor's orange wire from the ECU where it's grounding out on the chassis, or engine, etc.
aboyandhisversys likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 09:10 AM

make sure the temp sensor isn't faulty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
You need to find the bare spot on the coolant temperature sensor's orange wire from the ECU where it's grounding out on the chassis, or engine, etc.
Good advice right there! Faulty or intermittent grounding has caused more issues than I care to think about.

I'd also check to make sure that your temp sensor hasn't gone bad or is loose. (I'm pretty sure somebody out there has a test for that, I have no idea what it is offhand, I think you check with an ohm meter, but don't quote me on that.)

If nothing else, just replace it. I don't think they're THAT expensive.

Edit: see: https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...A_MQ9QEIowEwAA

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by znelson10 View Post
...Please let me know if there is anything I can check or look for!
LOOSE wire or intermittent ground, as others pointed out.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 06:38 PM

Exclamation

What we are actually looking for here is an intermittent SHORT TO GROUND that is caused by partially exposed wire of the water temperature sensor circuit which is making contact with chassis or engine somewhere between ECU and sensor.
aboyandhisversys likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I followed the wiring back from the coolant sensor to the ECU and I didn't find any bare spot yet, but I did notice the previous owner must have zip tied the wiring harness way to tight to the frame. The zip tie was basically cutting into the wire harness. I cut each zip tie and replaced it with a couple that were not as tight. The light has been off since but I will tear the bike apart further to make sure there is no bare spot in the wiring.

Thank you for the responses!
invader likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by znelson10 View Post
Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I followed the wiring back from the coolant sensor to the ECU and I didn't find any bare spot yet, but I did notice the previous owner must have zip tied the wiring harness way to tight to the frame. The zip tie was basically cutting into the wire harness. I cut each zip tie and replaced it with a couple that were not as tight. The light has been off since but I will tear the bike apart further to make sure there is no bare spot in the wiring.

Thank you for the responses!
The single biggest thing I fear (aside from "I'm here to help.") is factory wiring that's been somehow 'diddled'. That is one of the scariest things to isolate and repair on the planet - especially on newer machinery...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 09:44 PM

Upon closer inspection of the wiring where it was tied too tightly, some small cracks or compressed areas in the wire insulation where the current was allowed to jump to frame or other wires may be revealed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode