Fuel Gauge Accuracy - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By cjcintucson

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Fuel Gauge Accuracy

2009 Versys fuel gauge had one bar and began flashing "FUEL" at ~190 miles. At 193.7 miles on the odo I filled the tank putting 4.28 gal (45.2mpg). Fuel tank capacity being 5.0 gal the range would be ~226 miles. It would be hard to argue that erring a bit on the conservative side for a fuel warning signal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

If you are relaying that there is not much range left after the warning starts blinking- not sure.

I often roam alone, and it's funny how fast the gas gauge on my '08 can go from a couple blips down to one....

I wish sometimes the V had the same size tank as my old KLR, that would make it dandy. But I suppose it would also make it more top heavy.

Sometimes I find myself staring at that single bar-blip mark on the empty end of the fuel gauge, and wondered if I would make it to civilization or a town with fuel.

A couple years ago, I started carrying a large PRIMUS bottle, it's rated for carrying gas. It's 1.5 L I believe (or biggest one of this design), about $25-27 bucks.

I can fuel/fill it in-place without having to remove it, plus it accepts a gas-station size pump nozzle.
It fits nicely on the one side behind my SW Motech side rack-- just opposite a tool tube. Math not being my thing, and I am not great with the metric system, I am thinking this might take me 15-18 miles as a reserve. I have not had to use it, but I do keep it full of non-oxy premium, and rotate the contents with fresh once in awhile. Even if I never need it, maybe I will rescue some maiden on the Harley that's broke down and my KARMA will suddenly change?

I have it on a bottle-rack from Twisted Throttle with a hose clamp. It's actually smaller/shorter somewhat in contrast with the tool tube on the opposite rack.
Naw, it's not a gallon or anything, it's just an appetizer sized amount I can easily carry and forget about for the most part, until maybe I need it.

Last edited by unstable_rider; 06-01-2018 at 05:18 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 05:15 PM

Not sure what the O.P. is asking, but I look at a motorcycle fuel gauge as a rough guideline. I would guess there would be like a 10% variance in accuracy from one V to another. As Clint would say: "A man has got to know his limitations" (and the range of a full tank). Also, when I am looking for maximum range I hold the bike straight upright to use all of tank capacity (I hope that is what it does).

"Math not being my thing, and I am not great with the metric system, I am thinking this might take me 15-18 miles as a reserve." In the real world you can consider a liter about a quart ( a liter is 1000cc and if I remember a quart is 948cc). So your 1 1/2 quarts of fuel (3/8 gallon) at 45 mpg would get you as you surmised, about 17 more miles.

That's a lot of math - I think I need a nap now.
unstable_rider likes this.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Yhatzee!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode