• 1 Post By Indelibility
  • 1 Post By tennistime99
  • 2 Post By abramsgunner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rear Shock Absorber Spring

Hi Guys,

Please help me understand how to adjust the Rear Shock Absorber by using the spring preload adjuster.

I am kinda heavy, and most of the times ride with my wife on the back.
The bike has Kappa KVE topbox and Panniers.

The manual says:
A passenger with top case and pannier cases: Recommended clicks 24 **

(**In from the fully seated position (turned fully counterclockwise).

How can i know where is click position 0?
Can i just turn it clockwise until it cant be turned more and assume its at 24 clicks?

Appreciate any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 08:16 AM

Garage
Click zero is all the way in (clockwise).
FarangPilot likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 09:09 AM

Softest=all the way counter-clockwise

Turn clockwise 24 clicks from there to stiffen it up. You'll most likely find your own preference after riding a while.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
FarangPilot likes this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It sounds like you are talking about 2 different adjustments.... preload using the shock collar and rebound using the clicker

Preload = Adjusting the spring collar using the spanner wrench. If you look at the collar, there are "steps" that work to compress or "preload" the spring. Preload adjusts the ride height of the rear end which can effect the handling of the bike. In theory adding preload should not make the ride more firm... but I'm not so sure on the Versys... I think the stock spring may be a bit progressive and adding preload does seem to make the ride more harsh. (insert: R1 shock upgrade here... *grin)

Rebound = Adjusting the rebound on the shock (i think that is the only adjustment on the stock shock) effects how quickly the shock returns after compressing. Not enough rebound and the shock might "pogo" and bounce the seat up on a sharp hit (basically returns in an uncontrolled fashion). To much rebound and the wheel can lose contact with the ground by not dropping down fast enough after a sharp hit or packup on successive hits.... I think this also makes the ride harsh because the bike "falls" back to the ground abruptly instead of easing back down on the spring.

I adjust the stock shock rebound to the factory settings and leave it, then adjust the preload based on how much weight I'm carrying to keep the tail of the bike up and steering sharp. The stock shock will always be harsh which is why many of us have swapped over to the R1 shock or an aftermarket shock.

As always, YMMV, I'm not a suspension guru but I have pulled apart and reshimmed the suspension on both my KLX250S and Versys and am happy with how they ride (so I'm not a total noob...lol)
Skypilot 69 and FarangPilot like this.

'08 Versys.. Givi rear rack, JCW trunk and E21's, Givi shield, Madstad bracket, Speedy peg and mirror brackets, lowering kit, SC Seat, R1 Shock.. other stuff. '09 KLX250 setup for singletrack. 2011 Xterra, '80 CJ-7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by abramsgunner; 05-24-2018 at 10:51 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

Yeah i was talking about the "Black twist handle" on the right side of the side of the bike.
I think i figure it out, just clock to stiffen it up or counter clock to go down to 23,22,21...0.

Will do a 600km ride this Weekend in Northeastern Thailand. With heave luggage on. Will test it out and find a sweet spot depending on the roads.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarangPilot View Post
Thanks guys.

Yeah i was talking about the "Black twist handle" on the right side of the side of the bike.
I think i figure it out, just clock to stiffen it up or counter clock to go down to 23,22,21...0.

Will do a 600km ride this Weekend in Northeastern Thailand. With heave luggage on. Will test it out and find a sweet spot depending on the roads.
OH.... well that makes sense... My '08 doesn't have the remote preload so it never crossed my mind, LOL Enjoy your ride!

'08 Versys.. Givi rear rack, JCW trunk and E21's, Givi shield, Madstad bracket, Speedy peg and mirror brackets, lowering kit, SC Seat, R1 Shock.. other stuff. '09 KLX250 setup for singletrack. 2011 Xterra, '80 CJ-7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode