Help! Running SUPER rich - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By Hodaka

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Help! Running SUPER rich

2008 Versys, stock (as far as I can tell). I have put 500kms on it since purchasing, and I suspect it has been slightly rich all along, but...
Ran great this morning on the way to work, but after work it did not seem right. Idle felt too low, did not have much pick up, sounded weird. The fuel warning had Just started flashing, so I filled up. The 3km ride home did not improve it, black smoke out the exhaust when revved at the light, did not want to rev up, felt gutless. Exhaust smelled like raw fuel, and even flames out the pipe when revved and cut.

Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Check AIr Intake,spark plug and when was the last service done.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Last service was *supposedly* done right before I got it - a little over 500kms ago.
Guess I need to dig in...
Really weird that it would get so bad basically just after sitting for the day. Guess itís possible that something got into the air box.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

I can look it up, but pretty sure plugs were done about 10,000 Kmís ago. Not sure about air filter cleaning.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
if it comes down to it i have a throttle body and injector assembly thats brand new ill sell for a good price

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 08:35 AM

Remove spark plugs. see what color the ceramic tip is. The darker the color, the richer the engine is running. Check and make sure both plugs are firing. If a plug is not firing, raw gas will be forced out through the exhaust valve into the hot muffler which will ignite the gas causing flames to come out of exhaust. The plug not firing could be caused from bad plug, bad coil pack, or fire not getting to coil pack(broken wire,grounded wire, wire came unplugged from coil pack, faulty emc ,etc.).
Since you stated fire was coming out of exhaust, and lack of power(which would occur if you are running off only one cylinder) My best guess would be one cylinder is not firing.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
FWIW - the '08s had a few cracked "STICK COILS", and I believe 'invader' was one of the lucky ones who replaced them. (My '08 has been fine - 79,xxx miles on it.)

THAT might be your issue....
Skypilot 69 likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 12:14 PM

If It is the stick coil that's bad. Check this out. https://www.ebay.com/p/Ignition-Coil....c100005.m1851
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all. Pretty much the ideas I had on it. I will be hopefully taking apart tomorrow night (maybe tonight). Have new plugs arriving tomorrow to throw in regardless.
I have no FI light coming on, would not most of the above throw a code?

Found good prices on coil sticks on the eBay if needed thanks to those who provided links.
Iíll keep your offer in mind, Silvie
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 12:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
There are no FI trouble codes for ignition coils, misfiring... New spark plugs and coils inspection is a good start. While you're at it, check the condition of your IAP sensor hose which runs from the left TB's front outer vacuum port, and also the rubber vacuum caps on front of both TB's. What's your total kilometrage?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Total KMs just under 67,000.
Today I did the following:
Cleaned air filter - was dirty, but I wouldnít say plugged
Changed spark plugs - they were looking old. I really donít think the coil sticks were fully seated, though.
Cleaned and inspected coil sticks - not in terrible shape, resistance in spec. Used a good amount of dielectric grease on reinstall
Cleaned air box
Checked over a bunch of other general stuff. Spent a ton of time cleaning the chain, and removing GOBS of old lube.
I will continue inspection tomorrow, and fire it up to see how it is running. Thanks for the suggestions Invader - was going through service manual and thinking I should check the IAP hose.

Would have been a beauty day to go for a ride today...
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Think Iíve got it sorted. Test drive soon.

Lesson: make sure your coil sticks are fully pushed down. I know mine werenít, and if the test ride goes good, that would seem to have been the root cause.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Sorted! 1.5 - 2 hr ride this afternoon, all good
Smoother, quieter, shifts better, less harsh transition to off throttle. Hoping fuel enonomy gets better on this tank, too!
invader likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode