Removing the fuel tank - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Removing the fuel tank

I'll be getting ready to pull the fuel tank and check out the air filter and plugs on the bike. It will be the first time I do so on the V, but unlike other bikes I've owned, the tank dies not have a petcock to shut off the fuel. The owner's manual make no mention to removeing the fuel tank.
What is the best way to remove the fuel tank while it is about half full?

Moe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 12:06 PM

Most bikes have a vacuum line going to the fuel valve on the tank... doesn't the V?

I'm calm like a bomb!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 12:31 PM

I strongly recommend you get hold of the service manual. There's a few things you could screw up if you are not careful. Unfortunately my PDF file won't let me copy the pictures, but here are the words. Might want to PM me to see if I can get you more detail.

Machog
Fuel Tank Removal
WARNING
Gasoline is extremely flammable and can be explosive
under certain conditions. Make sure the area
is well-ventilated and free from any source of flame
or sparks; this includes any appliance with a pilot
light. Do not smoke. Turn the ignition switch OFF.
Be prepared for fuel spillage; any spilled fuel must
be completely wiped up immediately.
•Turn the ignition switch and engine stop switch OFF. •Wait until the engine cools down. •Open the fuel tank cap [A] to lower the pressure in the
tank.
○During tank removal, keep the tank cap open to release
pressure in the tank. This makes fuel spillage less.
•Remove:
Seat (see Seat Removal in the Frame chapter)
Side Covers (see Side Cover Removal in the Frame
chapter)
Fuel Tank Bolts [A]
•Draw the fuel out from the fuel tank with a commercially
available pump [A].
○Use a soft plastic hose [B] as a pump inlet hose in order
to insert the hose smoothly.
○Put the hose through the fill opening [C] into the tank and
draw the fuel out.

•Disconnect:
Fuel Pump Lead Connector [A]
Fuel Level Sensor Lead Connector [B] •Remove the fuel drain hose [C].
•Be sure to place a piece of cloth [A] around the fuel hose
joint. •Insert a minus screwdriver [B] into the slit [C] on the joint
lock.
•Turn the driver [A] to disconnect the joint lock [B]. •Pull [C] the fuel hose joint out [D] of the outlet pipe.
CAUTION
When removing the fuel hose joint, do not apply
strong force to the outlet pipe on the fuel pump. The
pipe made from resin could be damaged.
WARNING
Be prepared for fuel spillage; any spilled fuel must
be completely wiped up immediately.
When the fuel hose is disconnected, fuel spills out
from the hose and the pipe because of residual
pressure. Cover the hose connection with a piece
of clean cloth to prevent fuel spillage.
•Close the fuel tank cap. •Remove the fuel tank [A], and place it on a plank [B].
○Do not apply the load to the fuel pump outlet portion [C]
especially the outlet pipe made from resin

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 04:55 PM

No major amount of fuel will leak out when you take the tank off.

You might have to remove the windshield if yours blocks the upper fairing screws like the Vario does, both fairings, the black side panels by the seat and the two bolts at the base of the tank.

The fuel hose is connected to the fuel pump with a snap fitting. You lift up on the clip - I believe it's red and you pull the fuel line out. A little bit of fuel will dribble out but not much. Then there are a two electrical connectors that need to be removed and a vent hose. Finally, lift up and pull out.

When you put the fuel line back - press back down on the clip. If it doesn't go down easilly don't force it. Push the fuel line further - the clip will then push down quite easilly.

Have fun!
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
No major amount of fuel will leak out when you take the tank off.

You might have to remove the windshield if yours blocks the upper fairing screws like the Vario does, both fairings, the black side panels by the seat and the two bolts at the base of the tank.

The fuel hose is connected to the fuel pump with a snap fitting. You lift up on the clip - I believe it's red and you pull the fuel line out. A little bit of fuel will dribble out but not much. Then there are a two electrical connectors that need to be removed and a vent hose. Finally, lift up and pull out.

When you put the fuel line back - press back down on the clip. If it doesn't go down easilly don't force it. Push the fuel line further - the clip will then push down quite easilly.

Have fun!

And here I thought you took your bike to the dealer for maintenance...

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
And here I thought you took your bike to the dealer for maintenance...

Your funny.

You caught me pulling the panties down on my Barbie doll.

I do some of my own maintenance and with the V I'm able to do a lot more than I was able to do with my BMW. Even the low end F650s were completely computerized and even bleeding the brakes required the use of the infamous BMW computers to modulate the brakes. I could change the oil and filter and that was it on the BMW.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Your funny.

You caught me pulling the panties down on my Barbie doll.

I do some of my own maintenance and with the V I'm able to do a lot more than I was able to do with my BMW. Even the low end F650s were completely computerized and even bleeding the brakes required the use of the infamous BMW computers to modulate the brakes. I could change the oil and filter and that was it on the BMW.

I'm afraid to even ask about this one...

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 05:51 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I've removed my tank when it was full without any fuel leaking out. The extra weight just cuts in the back of my left hand holding the tank as I work the fitting... That red clip's ends have to be expanded to slide it back (not completely off) on the fitting to remove fuel line and tank. The clip can then be slid back in place before reinserting the fuel line in the fitting with an audible "click".

Last edited by invader; 12-01-2008 at 05:54 AM.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
I've removed my tank when it was full without any fuel leaking out. The extra weight just cuts in the back of my left hand holding the tank as I work the fitting... That red clip's ends have to be expanded to slide it back (not completely off) on the fitting to remove fuel line and tank. The clip can then be slid back in place before reinserting the fuel line in the fitting with an audible "click".
The fuel connection and tank mounting is a nice setup. Make it easy to remove the fuel line. It would be much harder if it were the old fashion hose clamp. And the way the fuel tank pivots sits on the bike also makes it easy for removal.

Again definitely lowers the cost of maintenance (If Bear - If) you take it in for service.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 09:10 AM

Took the tank off on Saturday for the first time. Easy enough, would have been much easier had I not filled it Friday! Doh!

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
The fuel connection and tank mounting is a nice setup. Make it easy to remove the fuel line. It would be much harder if it were the old fashion hose clamp. And the way the fuel tank pivots sits on the bike also makes it easy for removal.

Again definitely lowers the cost of maintenance (If Bear - If) you take it in for service.

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 02:36 PM

I made the mistake of pulling the red clip completely off and after changing the plugs and cleaning the air filter went for a ride. I stalled out and pulled over to the side and into someone's driveway. Smelled gasoline and thought about the fuel line connector, so proceeded to take everything off and sure enough it had come loose. I was unable to get it to stay on by itself, so I put some duct tape and wire around it to hold it together. I getting ready to head over to the dealer, suppose I will have to buy a new red retaining clip. Anyone else ever experience with the clip?
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 02:47 PM

Has anyone (besides me) had a problem with the joint lock? I had my fuel line come loose while riding and had to use some wire and duct tape to make sure it stayed together for the rest of the short ride home. Any thoughts as to what needs to be done.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machog View Post
CAUTION
When removing the fuel hose joint, do not apply
strong force to the outlet pipe on the fuel pump. The
pipe made from resin could be damaged.
especially the outlet pipe made from resin
This is true. My internet connection went down just when I tried to open this thread to read. So, I did break the outlet pipe. I did not even put lots of stress on it. it snapped so quickly. To replace it you have to replace the entire gas pump unit +- $300. I do not have the money so I pulled a McGuyver and fixed it by inserting a metal tube inside the pipe adding clue on the broken surface and a little bit on the outside. Away from the gas. Now it is very strong and works again, touch wood.

So just be careful and be warned. It does break easy. Why they made it so brittle i don't know and to me it now seems stupid that i did break it but it is very likely that it will break if you are not carefull.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 05:45 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
To release fuel line fitting, just slide the red lock clip back by spreading its hooks out. Break any bond by rotating it while pulling it out... To reinstall, snap the red clip back in its place, then insert fuel line back in and you'll hear it click as it locks in securely.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
To release fuel line fitting, just slide the red lock clip back by spreading its hooks out. Break any bond by rotating it while pulling it out... To reinstall, snap the red clip back in its place, then insert fuel line back in and you'll hear it click as it locks in securely.
Well yes, that i did with ease, but somehow i had to lift it past the breaking point. i was shocked how ez I did break it. Tx
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 07:41 AM

Actually i think most of us just flip the tank over to the left side and set it on something (I use a short step ladder) and bungee it to keep it stable. Haven't had to pull the line off yet, especially to change plugs or clean filter.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 07:02 AM

Yeah, I tried the rotating the tank and resting on the ladder trick and i didn't force it but that's when I heard the dreaded snap and mine's broken. Is there no way to change just the plastic piece? Anyway, be very careful, it does break easily.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 10:11 AM

I’m delighted to hear that the fuel doesn’t leak out because I wasn’t looking forward to having to pump it dry... but why doesn’t it leak?

Is there some sort of a controlled check valve, or does the line inside the tank simply go up & then down like this >n< so that the pump actually sucks it up, over the top & out?

Thanks

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~

Last edited by Hardware; 03-08-2010 at 10:14 AM.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 07:39 PM

Can't replace the black piece only, didn't want to splurge on a new pump so I drilled & tapped into the fuel pump and made a new stainless piece identical to the plastic one. Great thing about working in a fab shop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode