• 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 3 Post By dddd
  • 1 Post By brock29609

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tank venting problem?

So my '15 with only 4,200 garage-kept miles was making a loud hum immediately after a ride this morning. I opened the gas cap and heard a "whooosh", and the hum stopped. Sounds like the tank isn't venting properly. Common problem with these bikes?

Is this where the tank vents? Any suggestions on best way to open it up? Not sure how it could have gotten blocked, but the bike did have a previous owner that put the first 1,700 mile on it.

The bike did go from a cool garage to 80+ temps. Not sure if that's a factor. Maybe the fuel was expanding from the heat and air was leaving, not rushing in?

It runs fine, as far as I can tell. No noticeable performance issues.

Last edited by brock29609; 05-10-2018 at 01:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 12:59 PM

Garage
My 2018 does the same thing, I figured it's part of the regular venting. Interested to know if that's not the case. What octane do you use?

2010 Aprilia Shiver 750 "Ruthy"
2018 Kawasaki Versys 650LT ABS "Lucy"
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

87. The gas that's in there no is 10% ethanol.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 02:30 PM

Many bikes make a whooshing or whistling noise after shut-down, some are much more noticeable that others. If the venting is restricted, the engine performance should suffer. If it gets bad enough, it'll die and refuse to start until you open the cap.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Mine will do that sometimes. I figured it was pressure being relieved rather than a vacuum in the tank. Maybe the heat from the engine is rising and warming the tank a bit after shutdown? Or residual fuel pressure from the pump?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
ALL three of my V 650s do (or DID) that.

Don't worry about it UNLESS you see gas leaking out....
unstable_rider and Fly-Sig like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I have that on my 2018 Versys 650. Even with the cap closed I kept hearing a "buzzing/pressure" sound. When I had it at the dealer for the first 600 miles check-up I asked them about it. The mechanic said this is normal.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I had that on my 09....Then i went with a keyless gas cap and never had that issue again. So now i put them on any bike i get.....

IMG_0033 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1010574 by weljo2001, on Flickr
unstable_rider likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
with tropical climate here where temp is always 34c , i don't have the problem but its always safe to have the vent line operating properly.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 05:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
This is normal. This is a one-way vent.

The air can flow from that hole, into the buse then out the pin hole right under the key.
You can test it for yourself with a straw/hose over the cap's buse; you can blow but not suck.

As the tank empties, it must take air. But expanding fuel is common under heat and you don't want it to spill fuel every time your bike in on the side. So the cap is design to hold SOME pressure.

Notice the sprung rim plate pushing the cap's gasket on the tank; this is on springs so that excess pressure can slip pass the gasket. That's most likely what you hear, that or the one-way valve leaking a tiny bit. It can be a hum, it can be a hiss. It's all fine.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
2015 650 ABS something running / ignition off

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock29609 View Post
So my '15 with only 4,200 garage-kept miles was making a loud hum immediately after a ride this morning. I opened the gas cap and heard a "whooosh", and the hum stopped. Sounds like the tank isn't venting properly. Common problem with these bikes?

Is this where the tank vents? Any suggestions on best way to open it up? Not sure how it could have gotten blocked, but the bike did have a previous owner that put the first 1,700 mile on it.

The bike did go from a cool garage to 80+ temps. Not sure if that's a factor. Maybe the fuel was expanding from the heat and air was leaving, not rushing in?

It runs fine, as far as I can tell. No noticeable performance issues.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...hlight=running
So like the above posts it is obvious that this is normal, not wishing to poke fun at myself , but my thread is 2 pages long, I can laugh now, however after owning a 07 Versys and graduating to a 15, something seemed amiss , as the 07 never did it-- so if you need a good chuckle read my old post.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

This sound was different than the normal burps and farts I hear coming from my resting bike, but I've since figured it was a one-way valve situation combined with pressure.

Gracias!
otto_versys_blotto likes this.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 02:14 PM

Garage
Just to pile on, I've got a 2015 and it happens to me too. The first few times I got concerned and "burped" the tank and of course it stopped. So, then I realized it was just the pressure releasing, so it's all good.

Although, I was cleaning the bike Wednesday and starting fiddling with the overflow tube that goes to the bottom of the bike. After massaging it a bit had some water (with probably a few drops of gas) come out. So, it could be the overflow/vent tube is a little clogged too. Not confirmed, but can anyone weigh in on that theory?

You can't judge a book by its cover, but I know a coloring book when I see one.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

This little hole carries away rain water/gas overflow. It sits outside of the cap seal and drains to the tube on the lower left side of the bike. If you're concerned that it's clogged, shoot a generous amount of WD40 into the hole and see if it drips out the bottom. I've successfully unclogged this drain on other bikes by putting compressed air in the bottom to blow the clog out of the top, while covering the fill hole to protect from debris. Not sure if this would work on this model as it looks to have a slightly more complicated setup.

Last edited by brock29609; 05-11-2018 at 05:15 PM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
This is normal. This is a one-way vent.

The air can flow from that hole, into the buse then out the pin hole right under the key.
You can test it for yourself with a straw/hose over the cap's buse; you can blow but not suck.
There's a joke hiding somewhere in there, I'm just too lazy to look for it...
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

According to this view, that hole does not vent the tank. It helps vent the overflow (rain water) hole.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode