2007 Versys 650 Headlights problem - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

2007 Versys 650 Headlights problem

Hello everyone!

First of all, I apologize if this has been already posted, I tried to search for this issue but couldn't really find anything relevant.
According to the repair manual, the headlight low beam should only turn on after starting the engine, however on my bike the low beam goes on immediately after switching the ignition to on, and I can even toggle the high beam aswell.
The problem is that my headlight button acts as a switch, turning on the high beam will turn off the low beam so only one of them is active at all times, however the pass button will toggle high beam while pressed, alongside low beam.
During this problem my instrument cluster high beam indicator does not light up, even when the switch is on for high beam.
From my understanding and past experiences high beam and low beam should work together and not just only one of them selectively, right?
All the other lights from the instrument cluster work correctly, so what could cause all these issues? I'm decent with mechanical issues, but electrical stuff always beats me.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verspkd View Post
Hello everyone!

First of all, I apologize if this has been already posted, I tried to search for this issue but couldn't really find anything relevant.
According to the repair manual, the headlight low beam should only turn on after starting the engine, however on my bike the low beam goes on immediately after switching the ignition to on, and I can even toggle the high beam aswell.
The problem is that my headlight button acts as a switch, turning on the high beam will turn off the low beam so only one of them is active at all times, however the pass button will toggle high beam while pressed, alongside low beam.
During this problem my instrument cluster high beam indicator does not light up, even when the switch is on for high beam.
From my understanding and past experiences high beam and low beam should work together and not just only one of them selectively, right?
All the other lights from the instrument cluster work correctly, so what could cause all these issues? I'm decent with mechanical issues, but electrical stuff always beats me.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Low High beam switch is correct for the 2007, the passing switch is correct for the 2007. Turning on the headlight with a key switch only is a problem. Two tests I want you to do, it may require a mirror or a second person, observe if the headlight shuts off momentarily while pushing the start button. Second test is to disconnect the stator output wire socket if the headlight goes out during starting, also disconnect the plug going to the regulator, this will be tough but I don't think you want to replace the relay box if not needed.
Fastoman likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 06-10-2018 at 12:06 PM.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Are you the original owner? I can solve your problem but need more info, as well do you have the original stator and OEM regulator?
Hello onewizard, I am not the original owner, just purchased it recently, everything else works perfectly. From what I can tell, the stator cover was never taken off, also the regulator screws appear rusty and very hard to remove, I know it's a double edged sword but I do not think anyone replaced these. the bike has 43000 km at this point. For any other information, just ask and I'll do my best.

EDIT: So you are saying that both low beam and high beam cannot work at the same time ? only one of them of my choosing?
Could the relay being stuck also cause the high beam indicator to not light up on the instrument cluster?
I will attempt to do what you instructed, and will return with an answer tomorrow, as it's 11 PM already here.

EDIT 2: The headlight does appear to go very dim to almost closed when attempting to start the bike, this one at least I remember.

Last edited by Verspkd; 05-03-2018 at 03:01 PM.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

Low and high bean can work together. If you select low beam only low will work and if you select high, both low& high will work-2008 model.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Low and high bean can work together. If you select low beam only low will work and if you select high, both low& high will work-2008 model.
2007 the low beam / high beam switch is 1 pole double throw, the passing switch ties to the positive and high beam switch, on high the low is disabled according to the drawing, it has been too long for me to remember.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
2007 the low beam / high beam switch is 1 pole double throw, the passing switch ties to the positive and high beam switch, on high the low is disabled according to the drawing, it has been too long for me to remember.
will check it out later....you are right 1 pole double throw..but both L/H can also be active, as i said need to check it out.

"STAND TO BE CORRECTED."
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys! Onewizard, what should I pay attention to when removing the stator plug? The lights just go a little dim when pressing the start button, but not that noticeable, just the normal current draw of the starter causing it.They do not go completely off.

EDIT: double checked with a friend that has the same model, high beam and low beam are both on at the same time when flipping the high beam switch, on his bike

EDIT 2: another weird thing that I tried, i flipped the high beam switch only midway, and both low beam and high beam stay on, flipping it after middle will close the low beam completely. This doesn t seem right

Last edited by Verspkd; 05-04-2018 at 08:36 AM.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 08:39 AM

I have 07.
Key in with no engine = only city lights, no low beam.
Engine on = LB switch = LB
Engine on = HB switch = LB +HB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
onewizard likes this.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Pecko, that's how it should work. I may have a relay issue and bad contacts hmm
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 12:45 PM

Garage
I just checked my '07-

LB= low beam plus parking lights,

HB= high beam, low and parking lights too.
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by Smiley; 05-04-2018 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Clarity
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecko View Post
I have 07.
Key in with no engine = only city lights, no low beam.
Engine on = LB switch = LB
Engine on = HB switch = LB +HB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
I just checked my '07-

LB= low beam plus parking lights,

HB= high beam, low and parking lights too.

08 Model:-

Ignition ON- Parking lights ON

Start Idling - Low Beam only.

High Beam - All lights ON, HB /LB/Parking light.

sorry for the late reply.
onewizard likes this.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! Will post back when i get some time these days to fix it, hopefully without ordering any parts hehe.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Relay Box

Quote:
Thanks! Will post back when i get some time these days to fix it, hopefully without ordering any parts hehe.
FYI, I asked you to pull the 3 phase connector apart and disconnect the plug to the regulator, as you may have a damaged regulator ( which is powered all the time), you may also have a failed diode in the relay box, by disconnecting these two plugs, if your relay doesn't have

welded contacts, the headlight will remain off during and after starting

Next step would be to plug the 3 phase connector back in if the above test was positive with no light on.

Beyond these two tests, I need feedback from you.
Fastoman likes this.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
FYI, I asked you to pull the 3 phase connector apart and disconnect the plug to the regulator, as you may have a damaged regulator ( which is powered all the time), you may also have a failed diode in the relay box, by disconnecting these two plugs, if your relay doesn't have

welded contacts, the headlight will remain off during and after starting

Next step would be to plug the 3 phase connector back in if the above test was positive with no light on.

Beyond these two tests, I need feedback from you.
I was off on an unexpected trip with the bike these days however i am gonna attempt this tomorrow Onewizard, wasn't sure what to pay attention to when doing that. I think I can fix the High beam problem from the switch though but the light turning on with the ignition is most likely what you said.

But, do you mean disconnect the stator or pull all those 3 wires from their housing? should I do that and disconnect the regulator while the bike is running? could use some clarification so I don't screw things up. Thank you!
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I was off on an unexpected trip with the bike these days however i am gonna attempt this tomorrow Onewizard, wasn't sure what to pay attention to when doing that. I think I can fix the High beam problem from the switch though but the light turning on with the ignition is most likely what you said.

But, do you mean disconnect the stator or pull all those 3 wires from their housing? should I do that and disconnect the regulator while the bike is running? could use some clarification so I don't screw things up. Thank you!
Thanks for the reply, more info of this post in How To Thread
Fastoman likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 06-10-2018 at 12:08 PM.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
in my photo I have some wires going to the meters, see the How To Thread for clarification.
Thank you for the clarification, will report back with the observations tomorrow, fingers crossed. Also is it normal for this model to have the regulator near the back suspension/swingarm? it really seems weird placed in that swingarm cavity.

Last edited by onewizard; 06-10-2018 at 12:09 PM.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thank you for the clarification, will report back with the observations tomorrow, fingers crossed. Also is it normal for this model to have the regulator near the back suspension/swingarm? it really seems weird placed in that swingarm cavity.
Feel lucky it isn't a Ninja, and yes, Kawasaki realized in 2015 that having a regulator near the rear wheel wasn't a good idea unless you lived in the desert. They also realized several locations were prone to electrical corrosion. The 2015 has at least 5 locations covered with rubber to protect from water that never existed on the MK-1.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

2007 Odd Ball Regulator

So after a flurry of PM I thought I should post this as it is extremely unusual when requesting someone to follow directions when the parts involved are different from anything seen before.
When asked to disconnect the plug to the regulatot there was some confusion and here is why:

Last edited by onewizard; 06-10-2018 at 12:01 PM.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I attached a flap of "conveyor belt" to the underside of the seat area w/ a couple of pop-rivets, to shield the regulator from road crap, on both my '08 and '09 Vs.

NightRider likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I attached a flap of "conveyor belt" to the underside of the seat area w/ a couple of pop-rivets, to shield the regulator from road crap, on both my '08 and '09 Vs.

Thanks! seems like a must do in this particular situation, will attempt something similar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode