What is this thing that is half full? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

What is this thing that is half full?

2017 versys 650 LT. My 1st bike so not savvy from maintenance prospective. The below caught my eye today as it is half full. What is this?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 06:47 PM

Garage
Radiator Overflow Tank.....Or Reservoir....

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 08:20 PM

Yes, it's also called an expansion tank... Does your coolant look milky, or is it green? Coolant color and texture doesn't look normal at all in the photo.
Fastoman and aboyandhisversys like this.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

as what is said above by Invader ," your coolant doesn't look normal."
aboyandhisversys likes this.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Yes, it's also called an expansion tank... Does your coolant look milky, or is it green? Coolant color and texture doesn't look normal at all in the photo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
as what is said above by Invader ," your coolant doesn't look normal."
How does it suppose to look? It looks milky.

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 10:29 PM

Garage
check and see if your bike is still under warranty-there are a few things that can cause that but none of them is good

Deep in Cajun Country
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 10:30 PM

It's supposed to look like coolant, usually green translucent, and not milky at all. It's mainly caused by dried coolant residue... You can view it better with right side cowling removed. What mileage are you at?

I'd definitely drain all coolant from your cooling system asap, refill with distilled water, run engine for 15 seconds, drain again and rinse out the reservoir and radiator pressure cap as well, then refill with some quality long life coolant for Japanese applications.
Fastoman likes this.

Last edited by invader; 05-01-2018 at 10:48 PM.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
It's supposed to look like coolant, usually green translucent, and not milky at all. It's mainly caused by dried coolant residue... You can view it better with right side cowling removed. What mileage are you at?

I'd definitely drain all coolant from your cooling system asap, refill with distilled water, run engine for 15 seconds, drain again and rinse out the reservoir and radiator pressure cap as well, then refill with some quality long life coolant for Japanese applications.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorboy View Post
check and see if your bike is still under warranty-there are a few things that can cause that but none of them is good
Bike only has 2,600 miles on it. Have extended warranty until 2023. I'll need to take it in for dealer for a check seems like.

Brockie likes this.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 11:03 PM

The dealer will likely say it's normal, and that all maintenance such as replacing coolant is for you to do, or pay them to do it... I still recommend replacing your coolant now. It's probably just from dried coolant residue which collects in your breathing expansion tank (reservoir). The original coolant may be of poor quality, and it also collects paint, aluminum, oil, etc residues left behind upon initial engine assembly.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
The dealer will likely say it's normal, and that all maintenance such as replacing coolant is for you to do, or pay them to do it... I still recommend replacing your coolant now. It's probably just from dried coolant residue which collects in your breathing expansion tank (reservoir). The original coolant may be of poor quality, and it also collects paint, aluminum, oil, etc residues left behind upon initial engine assembly.
You are asking a lot from 1st time bike owner lol. Just kidding, really appreciate your feedback and help. I'll work on that as soon as time permits. I'll also check the coolant in the radiator to make sure it looks ok. I'm sure it is. Bike has not been heating at all.

invader and Fastoman like this.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 05:58 AM

Just swing by your dealer and have them take a quick gander at it. If they agree the coolant is milky, by rights they should change it and investigate possible causes under warranty. Even though coolant change isn't normally a warranty item, it should be in your case because milky coolant on a 2017 with under 3K miles IS abnormal and may indicate a different issue that WOULD be under warranty, unless the dealer put in some super-crappy or old coolant. And if the dealer won't play nice, I'd contact the regional factory rep to discuss it. Keep us posted.
quexpress and Maher like this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 06:45 AM

Meets European phosphate-free and Japanese silicate-free requirements https://www.walmart.com/ip/PEAK-Long...allon/47643322

Valvoline Asian Vehicle Formula Antifreeze Coolant - silicate-free, phosphate Hybrid Organic Acid Technology https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline...allon/49660461
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 12:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maher View Post
You are asking a lot from 1st time bike owner lol. Just kidding, really appreciate your feedback and help. I'll work on that as soon as time permits. I'll also check the coolant in the radiator to make sure it looks ok. I'm sure it is. Bike has not been heating at all.

If needed....
unstable_rider likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 04:12 PM

Garage
Just wanted to say great advice guys! This is the benefit of a well run web site.
Fastoman and Doug Just Doug like this.

BEST,
ANDY

"ALWAYS IN QUESTION, NEVER IN DOUBT".
Visit me at andyversystheworld on Facebook for Pictures and Updates.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 04:47 PM

Garage
I changed the coolant for the first time on my 2010 bike this winter. I just used a bottle of premix store brand. About the only thing I found doing this is that the new coolant is clearer, and perhaps slightly thinner viscosity wise. I don't see any reason to change coolant annually under normal circumstances. Most automotive coolant states it is good for 3 years on the jug. Some long life coolants state they are good for a longer period of time.

As others have stated. Coolant should never foam ever should be a clear pale green. If it is milky from gas or oil infiltration it means a defective head gasket usually.

Last edited by twowheels; 05-02-2018 at 04:50 PM.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
Just swing by your dealer and have them take a quick gander at it. If they agree the coolant is milky, by rights they should change it and investigate possible causes under warranty. Even though coolant change isn't normally a warranty item, it should be in your case because milky coolant on a 2017 with under 3K miles IS abnormal and may indicate a different issue that WOULD be under warranty, unless the dealer put in some super-crappy or old coolant. And if the dealer won't play nice, I'd contact the regional factory rep to discuss it. Keep us posted.
I'm taking it in 1st thing Thursday morning. Stay tuned guys. Thanks for all the feedback.

Fastoman and unstable_rider like this.

Last edited by Maher; 05-02-2018 at 07:12 PM.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=Maher;1542474]You are asking a lot from 1st time bike owner lol. Just kidding, really appreciate your feedback and help.

As the saying goes -"If you don't knock on a door it wont open" , , just give it a try to replace the coolant.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 10:44 PM

Garage
Don't want to be a Debbie downer-but it looks like oil and water foam-hope it's something simple like a water pump seal
16VGTIDave likes this.

Deep in Cajun Country
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

It will be interesting to hear how this one works out.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

I'm back guys!

Took it over to the dealer in Shakopee, MN. Great service. They looked it over and found nothing alarming. No leaks anywhere to be seen and engine oil looks perfect. They are confident there is no leaking happening into the radiator so not really sure the reason behind the coolant turning milky in the reserve tank.

The good part is that they flushed it all out and filled it up with new coolant and all done for FREE under warranty .

They will be filling a report with Kawasaki so this incident is documented in case of issue reappearing in the next few months. Good!. So, in the end, nothing major discovered and we will be watching how the coolant does in the next few months to a year.

To celebrate the not so bad news. I took her for an hour spin before heading back to work. She runs like a champ. LOVE IT.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode