Coolant leak? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cal Aviator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Coolant leak?

This is a FYI , I found roughly 6 inactive posts, ( posters that haven't been on the forum in over 6 months, some with replies and no answer) As a mod I can send PM / email messages to posters that don't respond to their for sale adds when others are interested but no response from seller, this is a last resort.

Found roughly 10 posts with SOLD somewhere in the thread******better is PM me to delete or use http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...se-delete.html post your link of the ad here, I give you a Like when deleted

Found another roughly 5 that sounded like the item was sold but not sure , However within minutes I noticed a new post declaring it sold

The remainder got bumped to the top, some acknowledge that it still is for sale, one add I cleaned up 27 posts in the thread that said parts sold, editing makes your add easier to read and eliminates questions like is it really really really sold or ya still got it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 05:57 PM

Garage
Coolant leak?

I just discovered that my V1 has a small coolant leak. Just a couple of drops. Of course the drops seem to be coming from an inexcessible location somewhere between the radiator and the cylinders. I would really rather not tear everything down for such a small leak. Dare I use something like radiator stop leak to quell the leak? Any recommendations? I just changed the coolant :-(

Thanks
Randy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 09:22 PM

Garage
In my experience "stop leak" and similar products don't work as advertised. There is not much to remove either. I would be inclined to find the leak and address the root cause. Half ass measures usually result in half ass results IMO.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-27-2018 at 09:47 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

I wonder if the clue, Randy will turn out to be that you just changed the coolant....

Perhaps a clamp, hose or something else got overlooked or gave-way. Not sure how old your Versys hoses are- I replaced my gen 1 hoses a couple years ago out of "preventive guilt" so as to be able to cross that off my list of things that might strand me out on a trip or something. I will probably do a water pump and thermostat at some point in similar fashion to hopefully offset my Karma. I also prefer to have some spare take-off parts that were working when I pulled them off to fall back on in a pinch.

Just me brother. Let us know what you find. Oh, do you run a stone guard in front of your radiator??????

Hope you didn't take on some unidentified flying object or some such "missile".

All the best man.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 10:40 PM

Garage
The road side of the radiator is pristine. Not a single bent fin . If it's the radiator, the problem is on the engine side. The hoses I can see look good. The only thing I can think of in that location would be a head gasket somewhere between the cylinders :-(

The motor runs good. No smoke and the plug color is spot on. So the coolant is coming out, not going in.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 08:16 AM

Mine had a tiny leak too, just a couple drips on the lower fairing on the left side.

I found the hose clamps loose and when I tightened them they promptly stripped. I went and bought regular hose clamps instead of the wimpy ones they use.

I believe it fixed the problem.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
unstable_rider likes this.

2011 Versys, Red - "My Little Fighter Jet."
2014 Ford Focus - "Casper The Friendly Ghost."
1998 Suzuki Bandit 600 - "Never ending project"
1995 Honda TRX-300EX - "You'll probably kill yourself one day."
Canadair CRJ-200 - "Barbie Fun Jet" or "Canadian Reset Jet" or "Skidoo" or "Canadian Space Shuttle" or "Climb Restricted Jet."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode