Tire Mounting.. how much $$$ - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tire Mounting.. how much $$$

So I'm planning ahead. Getting some PR3 tires for spring and was wondering about mounting/balancing options. I was at my local Kawi dealership and asked about the cost and they said it was $60. I thought that sounded pretty good. The guy behind the counter noticed I wasn't cussing at him (which must have been the normal reaction to this question) because then he pointed out it was $60 per tire.

$120 to put two motorcycle tires on the rims????

What are you guys paying for tire mountings out there and where are you having it done? I inquired at a local Tire Barn store and they don't do anything at all with motorcycle tires.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 06:55 AM

Garage
That's pretty high. I paid $25 per tire in the Spring to get my PR3s mounted. And that was the price for bringing the bike in with the wheels on. Would have been less if I just brought in rims.

Always trust your cape.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 07:31 AM

sounds high. I paid $80.00 for the pair a while ago with tires on bike.

2013 Versys1000

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 09:16 AM

Cheapest I found was 35$ per tire (and I was supplying the new tires). You also need to check tire prices, as they can fluctuate greatly. So for example one could drop the price of his tires agressively and then charge you extra for the mounting. They also usually lower the price of mouting when you bring them the wheels off the bike. But my time is also money, so I always just ride the bike there and have them do it all.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 09:25 AM

$30 per wheel, on the bike.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 10:10 AM

If you have any intention of ever riding out of town buy some spoons and learn to do it yourself. Street tires are very easy to do. Knowing how to do it will save your butt when you are in the middle of nowhere and need to pull your tire off to patch it.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 11:35 AM

Tire change cost

In over 100,000 miles, I have never had a tire failure where a plug (gummy worm) would not fix the leak (tubeless tars). Rather than carry tools necessary to do that kind of repair I just bring a small compressor and a plug kit.

I remove my wheels and take them to a tire shop (non motorcycle) and they change the tire and dispose of the old tire for $17. I quit balancing motorcycle tires long ago and just align the dot on the new tire. I can't tell the difference.
YMMV.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 12:57 PM

I was shopping around and it was $35-60 per tire, with me bringing the tires and wheels. Many places wouldn't do it without buying the tire from them, and those places were usually free mounting if you bought the tire from them.

So I did it myself.

'09 Versys
'07 DRZ400SM
Past
'93 KX250
'82 IT175
'79 KE90
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 07:02 PM

I remove the wheels and local tire shop the changes tires for under $15.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
2007 Honda XR 650L
2005 Kawasaki Brute Force 750

Last edited by DK35vince; 10-18-2012 at 07:07 PM.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 08:42 PM

Garage
I wish that there was a "local shop" for me to take my bike to. I have little intention of riding 50 miles to get my tires changed, so I change them myself.

That being said, changing tires is still one of the toughest DIY aspects of working on my Versys. I utter many inappropriate words while I am changing tires. I assume that this will get better with time, but the interval between changes seems to be just enough that I do not remember enough about the last time to make it easy this time.

When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 10:17 PM

Post a note in the motorcycle section of your local Craigslist asking locals.

By chance a couple of years ago, I ended up meeting the only other ST1100 in my area... And he has all the tools and equipment to do tires. So far he's helped me do five tires and sometimes allows me to pay for a breakfast on our occasional weekend rides.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 11:43 PM

If you're buying the tire form the shop that's installing them, they shouldn't be charging more that 15 bucks per tire.

I've seen 30 per tire when you supply the tires. 60 per tire is a total rip-off

I do my own installation and buy all my tires online
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 11:45 PM

Garage
A small independent shop by me charges $15 or $20 per if I buy from him, and $35 if I bring the tires. However he gives me great pricing. His prices are within $5 a set from what I can get the tires for online and shipped to my house. If prices are close, I prefer to support the local guy. If its cheaper, then of course I will support them!

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I try and support my "local" Kawi dealer, but they really do make the term "Stealership" ring true. I'm picking up a clutch cable from them today. They go for $16-$18 all over the internet, but $24.99 from them. I'll pay a few bucks more for that, but $60 each to change a tire? Paaalease.

When I was shopping for my V (3 months ago) I went in there and they have a brand new 2009 V with a price of $7000 on it. The lowest they would go was $6500. I picked up my 2011 for only $6200 out the door from a dealership 70 miles away.

I don't think they'll ever sell that V and I seriously wonder how they stay in business at all, every time I go in to look around it is all the same bikes sitting there. Of course that probably explains why the parts cost so much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olegeezer View Post
I quit balancing motorcycle tires long ago and just align the dot on the new tire. I can't tell the difference.
YMMV.
Can you elaborate on align the dot on the new tire?
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 09:14 AM

Toofer, this is from a tire website:

What Are Those Dots On The Sidewall?
[AWN] The red dot indicates the point of maximum force-variation; it should be aligned with the point on the wheel that's physically lowest.

Usually, wheel manufacturers will drill the valve-stem hole at the lowest point on the wheel, so you should align the red dot with the valve stem.

[GM] From the Yokohama booklet about the OEM AO22H1's that came with my car: The RED dot is to be used as the location for measuring tread wear. "When the indicators show, tires must be replaced."

The YELLOW dot indicates the lightest part of the tire, also known as "maximum force variation." This should be lined up with the heaviest part of the wheel - the valve stem. They call this "phase aligning" the tire.

"The yellow spot (light) should be mounted on the heavy spot (valve stem) on the wheel. In which case the red dot would be the high point on the tire, and wear the fastest, indicating the need for replacement sooner that other places on the tread. OR The red spot (high) should be mounted on the low spot (valve stem) on the wheel."

The guy who does my tires (I carry the wheels to him and it's $15/ea) aligns the yellow dot with my valve stem and never balances them and I have never had any problem.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 12:06 PM

ElTig,

This is certainly "good to know" stuff.

post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofer View Post
Can you elaborate on align the dot on the new tire?
I align the dot on the new tire with the valve stem. Supposedly thats the correct way to put it on the rim but like I said, I haven't been able to tell the difference by not balancing with a "balancing device".
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
Post a note in the motorcycle section of your local Craigslist asking locals.

By chance a couple of years ago, I ended up meeting the only other ST1100 in my area... And he has all the tools and equipment to do tires. So far he's helped me do five tires and sometimes allows me to pay for a breakfast on our occasional weekend rides.
Gene, you get the prize (I think) for the lowest cost solution! Guess that depends on where you get that breakfast.
I have an ST1300 and do the tires the same way on both bikes.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 01:45 PM

More tractions with Dunlops

Why not just decrease the pressure by 2-3 pounds in each tire? This will give you better traction. I ride mine this way, softer ride, better traction. I do not ride when it is raining unless I get caught up in the storm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode