Radiator fan? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Radiator fan?

I have owned many motorcycles, but my V is the first liquid cooled bike. Living in Texas, it's typically hot here. I notice that when I am finished riding the electric fan is running. Is it better to let the fan run for a while at idle to let it cool down or just shut down the engine when I stop? If I am standing still for a long period, such as a long traffic light, or in traffic grid lock, will the radiator fan be sufficient to keep the engine adequately cool?. Basically, it is fan up to the job on a hundred degree day or should I take precautions?

Thanks
Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 04:15 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i just shut mine off eve if the fan is running. and the bike has an over heat light if that is on do shut it down that second.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 04:20 PM

Here's my reply to your concern. I've ridden my 2008 Gen One Versys during some really hot days in and around San Antonio and central Texas for more than a few years and have never had any cooling problems. I can infer from my experience that the fan is up tp the task. Do check the cooling system reservoir now and again to be safe.

The more important precaution is that you don't overheat yourself.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
OK, thanks ya'll. I figured as much, but thought I'd ask

Randy
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

What everyone else said, however two key points, having a good AGM battery will ensure higher idle voltage, also make sure you set idle around 1350, there is a sharp drop off on stator output around 1250 RPM, also http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...neat+voltmeter is a excellent investment see post 97
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks OW for the info. After reading some other posts, I ordered the volt meter. Seemed like a good idea.

Randy
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 06:07 PM
RMS

Here in Dallas, I have the same issue. The fan run`s a lot but my V has never over heated.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Engine Temperature Monitoring System.

I install one of the above device to make fan cut in at any ( my) desire temperature, which is 90C. The factory setting for fan kick in is 102c . since i live in a hot tropical country , thought it was better to set fan kick in low to avoid heating up the engine. This is system is a stand alone system which will not interfere with ECU settings.

Hope its of some help.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 09:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
also make sure you set idle around 1350, there is a sharp drop off on stator output around 1250 RPM
I noticed this very same thing when I installed my Datel voltmeter. Not a good thing when you are running heated clothing, so I cranked up the idle to 1350 to 1400 and all is good.

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 07:05 PM

live near brownsville texas. very hot most of the year here. have a 2008 versys, recently s/p fork job, brake job, etc. still running strong with TLC. was coming back from the PNW summer 2012. experienced road work north of moab utah, and a rock got stuck in my radiator fan and burnt out the motor. rode home "air cooled" all the way to harlingen (approx 1400 miles), although i had to stop in santa fe for an hour to let the engine cool down. it was 105 degrees ambient temp, overheated in slow traffic. the V is solid. don't worry. bought a scavenged ninja fan and switched it out when i got home. moral of the story? bought a fenda extenda, made a beautiful homemade radiator guard from a basement screen, and bent down the lower lip of the fan housing so it wouldn't catch rocks (design flaw). probably saved my butt the following summer i went to fairbanks. don't worry, the versys is an affordable, fine, do it all bike. i love my guzzi too, but my versys is like an extension of my body.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 07:06 PM

cavet: listen to one wizard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode