High Altitude adjustments? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
High Altitude adjustments?

I bought my Versys about 2 months ago from a guy who moved here fromTexas. He did no adjustments and I live in Denver. It rides OK but seems to "pop" a little when slowing down. It also seems like the throttle hesitates some. It does not like gradual changes as much as wide open. Could 5000 ft plus altitude cause any of this? Suggestions for better high alt driveability?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 01:15 AM

Suggest downloading the service manual from this site and see what it says.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 02:09 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Is it all stock? It actually sounds like it's a bit lean. You could try rotating your main throttle sensor counterclockwise slightly (about 1/32") and see how much improvement is had.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 03:10 AM

The bike is fuel injected and requires no altitude adjustment. The computer adjusts it based on the Baro Sensor. You might try some Techron fuel system cleaner before monkeying with the bike
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Definitely wouldn't be lean at altitude or it would not have run at sea level. My Versys handled riding to 12,000 feet with no issues or noticable changes in performance. My buddy's carbed bike stunk bad at altitude because of how rich it was running. He lost a lot of power as well.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdiesel1 View Post
The bike is fuel injected and requires no altitude adjustment. The computer adjusts it based on the Baro Sensor. You might try some Techron fuel system cleaner before monkeying with the bike

I agree. I ran my Versys all through Colorado , literally end to end for a week and adjusted nothing, it ran fine.

AMA EAA STN
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 12:44 PM

Garage
My Versys "lives" at 7600 feet, routinely is operated up to 9000 feet and infrequently has been down to 3000 feet in the southern part of New Mexico. It has never seemed to need any adjustments related to altitude.

When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I would give it a tune up. Replace the plugs, sync the throttle bodies and clean the air filter. It made a noticable improvement for me. Also the syncing reduced vibration. Check you mileage too against the service manual and if it is anywhere near the required valve adjust interval do that too. Just remember to do the sync after this is done as it will effect it.

This is what I use (they also make a cheaper 2cyl model) http://www.carbtune.com/ It initially seems expensive for a tool you only use once or twice a year but if you consider how much the dealer charges for this very simple procedure it will pay for itself the first time you use it. You just hook it up a tube to each throttle body and adjust the balance screws while the engine is running. Took me maybe 2min if you do not include the time it took to remove the tank. Again it makes for a noticeable reduction in vibration. The manual says to balance at idle but I also checked the balance at 5000RPM. Probably most important to get the balance right at the RPM you run at most frequently rather than idle.

Basically as the intake valves wear the amount each cyl draws air may change slightly this is the reason for the sync. If you do not have a balance in the combustion intensity between each cyl vibration is the result.

Last edited by twowheels; 10-13-2012 at 03:12 PM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Stock besides Yoshimura exhaust. Only 4100 miles but no maintenance done besides oil changes. I can't think this is related but I have never felt a bike that slows down more while in gear from compression as this one. Hardly needs brakes. It is an 08 but I would think most maintenance would be more mileage driven than months old. I figured the fuel injection would mostly compensate for the altitude. Maybe just a new bike with new quirks I need to get used to. Still very happy with my Versys and hoping for one or two more weekends of good weather to try the really high altitude mountain roads. Thanks for the input.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

The bike is spotless but under the seat there is a healthy layer of red/clay dust. I wonder if the air filter could be very dirty. Seems like an easy solution to try (but not compared to most bike's air filters). Does anyone have experience with a considerable change in performance with a dirty filter?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 06:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Story View Post
The bike is spotless but under the seat there is a healthy layer of red/clay dust. I wonder if the air filter could be very dirty. Seems like an easy solution to try (but not compared to most bike's air filters). Does anyone have experience with a considerable change in performance with a dirty filter?
A neww filter will definitely make a bike run better. you have a bike in altitude it's getting less oxygen and if you have a dirty filters getting even less oxygen now.

the popping on deceleration is probably the fact that its a after market exhaust.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 10:05 PM

Garage
Not sure what you mean by throttle hesitation, but on my '09 (bought new here in denver about a year ago), i had hesitation/stumble at low speed (mostly noticeable when trying to accelerate in first gear when going really slow).

If the TPS has not been checked and adjusted yet, I'd take a look at the the thread below and make the recommended adjustments. It made a world of difference in my low end maneuvering and throttle responsiveness/smoothness.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=1412

'09 Versys
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 11:46 PM

Yes, the symptoms are from a lean mixture, mostly near 2800 rpm, and even though you're at 5000'... The aftermarket exhaust makes a difference too. You can seal up the PAIR valve that feeds air in the exhaust ports to reduce backfires, and adjust TPS to have WOT output voltage within spec range instead of just below it, with idle position output voltage at slightly above spec to add just enough fuel at low throttle opening range.

Also, your air filter may be dried out. It should be washed, dried, then re-oiled, although not excessively, with proper air filter oil.

http://www.maximausa.com/shopping/in...roducts_id=260

Last edited by invader; 10-13-2012 at 11:51 PM.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

That thread does seem to address the issue I have (or one of them) but also goes beyond my tinkering comfort level. I usually leave the electrical stuff up to someone else. If you are still in the Denver area do you know a reliable motorcycle mechanic that could help with this or is it something I could give you a few bucks to help with? I hate being at the mercy of a dealer.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 02:38 PM

Garage
Mine is brand new and it sometimes pops under deceleration, I'm at sea level with stock exhaust.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
Mine is brand new and it sometimes pops under deceleration, I'm at sea level with stock exhaust.
Mine did until I had the valves adjusted.

At a bit over 15k miles, 6 of 8 valves got adjusted. They were either out of spec or close to the limits. I don't plan to do it again until the recommended interval (might go longer depending on the results of others), but doing the first one early seemed like a good idea. I think they can come tight from the factory.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 11:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Story View Post
That thread does seem to address the issue I have ( popor onofe of them) but also goes beyond my tinkering comfort level. I usually leave the electrical stuff up to someone else. If you are still in the Denver area do you know a reliable motorcycle mechanic that could help with this or is it something I could give you a few bucks to help with? I hate being at the mercy of a dealer.
Sure thing, it really is an easy adjustment to do, and will take less than five minutes. I live near sw plaza and work in meridian (I25 and Lincoln). I'm busy tomorrow night, but am probably available after work on wednesday or thursday if we can find a place to meet.

'09 Versys
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 07:44 AM

Yep. Just a T15 Torx tool, and a minor counterclockwise tweak of the main throttle sensor... Sealing off the PAIR valve to further reduce backfiring tendency with low-restriction silencer requires removing fuel tank, and clean and oil the air filter while you're at it... Then you can consider checking valve clearances and synchronizing the TB's.

Last edited by invader; 10-16-2012 at 07:52 AM.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Yep. Just a T15 Torx tool, and a minor counterclockwise tweak of the main throttle sensor... Sealing off the PAIR valve to further reduce backfiring tendency with low-restriction silencer requires removing fuel tank, and clean and oil the air filter while you're at it... Then you can consider checking valve clearances and synchronizing the TB's.

If the tanks already off, just do the TB Sync
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode