Adding a GPS? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Adding a GPS?

I am going to transfer my Nuvi from my Honda to my V. Any recommendations for the electrical hook up? What would be the best wire to connect to for power?

Thanks
Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 07:33 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
what gen of v do you have? if its 2nd or 3rd you can get a relay for the accessory power hook ups and power it from there, if its a first gen like mine youll need to make an aux power supply. im running 3 usb power supply aux lights a 12 cig lighter style outlet and heated grips off the one i set up

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 09:24 PM

One item I would not recommend is the SW Motech over the clocks gps mount, if you have a Gen 3.

I like the idea of it but my Zumo 550 bounces up and down a lot, especially in city riding. Also, the angle is too steep and I get a lot of reflection from the sun. If I rotate the angle down any further the gps blocks my tach. Both issues might be better with a Nuvi as it's a slimmer case and most likely lighter in weight. Mine is hard-wired into the bike so I'm going to leave it but I'm mostly disappointed.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 10:25 PM

Garage
I went with a Motowerk Mount on my Versys 650 and Versys 1000 No vibration and perfect placement I tapped into the tail light wire for power.......For glare i have one of these.....https://www.glarestomper.com

IMG_0780 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1010559 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 07:14 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
One item I would not recommend is the SW Motech over the clocks gps mount, if you have a Gen 3.

I like the idea of it but my Zumo 550 bounces up and down a lot, especially in city riding. Also, the angle is too steep and I get a lot of reflection from the sun. If I rotate the angle down any further the gps blocks my tach. Both issues might be better with a Nuvi as it's a slimmer case and most likely lighter in weight. Mine is hard-wired into the bike so I'm going to leave it but I'm mostly disappointed.
I love mine, No vibe issues and I can see it fine. Mine is a Zumo 660, maybe that makes a difference. It's easy to reach and I like how I don't have to look down to see it. The whole thing is for sale though since I'm selling my bike.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirconx View Post
I love mine, No vibe issues and I can see it fine. Mine is a Zumo 660, maybe that makes a difference. It's easy to reach and I like how I don't have to look down to see it. The whole thing is for sale though since I'm selling my bike.
To be fair it doesn't bounce around when I'm riding on the hwy, the problem isn't bad unless I'm around town and that's when I need the gps the most. I don't blame the mount as much as I blame the fueling of the bike. My Versys stutters so much at low revs that it shakes the mount, mostly during acceleration or roll-on at city speeds.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 09:50 AM

Here's the GPS mounting system that's on my Gen One Versys. The mount is from Moto Werk and the cradle is from Garmin or GPS City. Works well and has for many miles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GPS Mount01.jpg (44.2 KB, 43 views)

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 10:22 AM

Garage
I have my Nuvi 1450LMT mounted on a Moto Werk GPS Mount (see pic below). The model specific GPS cradle is bolted onto the mount and the unit is plugged into the Kawasaki electrical outlet (cigarette type). The picture also shows a voltmeter attached to the MotoWerk mount.

I purposely designed the GPS setup so that I could just unplug it and remove the unit (GPS just snaps into the cradle) when I wanted to wash the bike.

If you'd like to read more about the entire setup, go to THIS link.

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

Last edited by Wolfcamp; 04-19-2018 at 10:27 AM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyjaco View Post
I am going to transfer my Nuvi from my Honda to my V. Any recommendations for the electrical hook up? What would be the best wire to connect to for power?...
I used the wire to my DRLs (beside the headlights) as power, but be SURE to use the Garmin wiring set-up so you don't "burn-out" your GPS w/ the wrong voltage!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Mine is 1st generation (2008). The mounting was easy. I made my own bracket connecting to the windscreen mounts. My Garmin 590LM and there is quite a bit of wire that needs to go somewhere. I just figured there was a preferred way to wire it up.
Thanks

Randy
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 10:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Mine is 1st generation (2008). The mounting was easy. I made my own bracket connecting to the windscreen mounts. My Garmin 590LM and there is quite a bit of wire that needs to go somewhere. I just figured there was a preferred way to wire it up.
Having a 1st gen changes your options a bit.

First off, I don't think you can just wire the gps directly to the bikes 12v battery. I'm pretty sure you have to use the plug that came with the unit. That being the case, you'll have to hook up a cigarette lighter socket to your battery.

To make sure you don't accidentally run your battery down if you forget to turn the GPS off, make your own switched power supply system. THIS post tells how to do it. It's not hard to do and it works well. I've done this on my last 7 bikes.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Wolfcamp, great writeup.

Randy
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcamp View Post
...First off, I don't think you can just wire the GPS directly to the bikes 12v battery. I'm pretty sure you have to use the plug that came with the unit....
This advice is CORRECT, as you WILL burn out the GPS!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It's in and works like a charm. The tail light wire was the easiest to tap.

Thanks
Randy
weljo2001 likes this.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 06:06 PM

Garage
Quote:

Thanks
Randy

I'll try not to pat myself on the back too much...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 08:53 PM

Garage
Quote:

Thanks
Randy

OK, so how did you hook it up?

... cut off the plug and hooked the wires directly to the battery???

... hooked up a cigarette lighter socket to the battery and plugged the Garmin into it??

Curious minds want to know.

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
My Zumo came with 2 sets of wiring. One with a cigarette lighter plug and one for direct hard wiring to the bike. The second set came with a positive and negative lead and some superfluous plugs for hard wire helmet communications, music input and a USB charger. I grounded to the frame and spliced into the tail light wire at the back. For mounting the unit I fabed strip of. 125" thick 2" aluminum strip which I bent to fit the wind screen mounts. I used the provided Zumo mounting attachments to that aluminum strip. Everything works great.

I intended to post some pictures, but I haven't figured out the Drag and Drop file upload yet.

Thanks for the replies

Randy

Last edited by Randyjaco; 04-23-2018 at 06:26 PM.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...I intended to post some pictures, but I haven't figured out the Drag and Drop file upload yet....
Just ensure that your pics are SMALL files, have them on your desk-top, then just "pull" them over w/ your cursor (drag and drop) to where it says "DRAG FILES HERE TO ATTACH!".

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 03:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
My Zuma came with 2 sets of wiring.
OK, that explains it. I thought you were hooking up a Nuvi, not a Zumo.

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah, I went through 3 Nuvis on my Honda, so I finally bit the bullet and got a GPS made for a motorcycle.

On another topic : How do I do a Drag and drop on a Android tablet?

Thanks
Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode