Horn mod saves the day! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
MTS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Horn mod saves the day!

Put the two PIAA horn upgrade from Amazon on and it saved me from hitting a dog yesterday! Great horns together and added saftey. No more meeeeep! Meeeeep!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 08:22 AM

Yep. I have the same set up. Easy mod and I love it.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 08:29 AM

Good save...the dog thanks you!

My Stebel air horn saved my bones on Friday when a brain dead cager rolled a stop sign and turned left while looking right. I noticed the car approaching the intersection from my right and saw the driver's head looking away from me, so I rolled off and covered the brake and horn. In an instant she began turning left into my path and I blasted the horn. The front end of the car dove as she slammed on the brakes, her front seat passenger had some words for her, and she waved frantically to acknowledge she was in the wrong. I gave her the hairy eyeball as I passed slowly and then returned the wave to say "Thanks for not running me over, watch where you're going."

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 08:49 AM

The PIAA horns are the #1 safety mod I've done to my Versys. Riding in NYC is dangerous enough; but without the PIAAs I know for a fact I'd have been in at least 2 bad encounters. I find the stock horns on most bikes to be woefully underpowered and dangerous as a result.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 09:09 AM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 12:49 PM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
I have a riding friend that just removes the horns from his bikes. Says he doesn't want to depend on them, only his maneuvering skills.

Never heard that one before? How about I'm sooo cool I don't need my horn, lights, or rear brake! Ha! Ha!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
...I have a riding friend that just removes the horns from his bikes. Says he doesn't want to depend on them, only his maneuvering skills.
Several times I've had 'cages' coming into my lane without looking. When I laid on the horn (Stebel Nautilus) they've ALMOST rolled their car getting out of the way of the Peterbuilt semi they just thought honked at 'em...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 01:31 PM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 12:48 PM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 01:50 PM

First mod on my last three bikes (Intruder 1400, KLR 250, Versys 650), plus my ex's only bike (Magna 750): Stebel Nautilus
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 02:02 PM

I would like to do this mod to my bike. While I am a fair mechanic, I am clueless when it comes to wiring diagrams and such.

Is it a plug-n-play, or at least can it be run off existing wiring going to my oem horn?
Thanks
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 02:20 PM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 12:47 PM.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 03:46 PM

Another great info post from AzItLies. I will be using it to hook mine up when I get'em.
Thanks
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwodogs View Post
I would like to do this mod to my bike. While I am a fair mechanic, I am clueless when it comes to wiring diagrams and such.

Is it a plug-n-play, or at least can it be run off existing wiring going to my oem horn?
Thanks
For the Stebel you NEED to install a relay, otherwise you'll 'fry' your horn wires!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 12:29 PM

After almost being hit twice in two days I ordered the PIAA horns a couple days back, should have them here to install by today. Has anyone found a good way to mount the second horn on the other side? From the thread it looks like everyone just mounts them on the same side.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
one horn mounted in place of the stock horn
one horn mounted along side the gas tank under the plastic cover
wired by way of Capt Kirk's easy method

low slow & loud doesn't suit my style...LOUD horns a must
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 10:09 PM

I have the stock horn on my V and in the ten months/11,000 miles I've done on her I haven't had to use it but twice... and both of those were to wake up cagers when the green left turn arrow lit up. Both times were on the same day.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 12:48 AM

My Stebel saved me the other day. Guy pulling out of an auction pulling a trailer with a 1 ton pickup. He was so busy watching to make sure his trailer cleared the lot he didn't see me despite hi-viz and lights. A tap on the Stebel and he put his wife into the dash and almost jackknifed his trailer...no trailer brakes obviously. I got flipped off but am alive and well.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashex View Post
After almost being hit twice in two days I ordered the PIAA horns a couple days back, should have them here to install by today. Has anyone found a good way to mount the second horn on the other side? From the thread it looks like everyone just mounts them on the same side.
Capt Kirk's easy method is simple and a good thread. I work with steel so I built a bracket so I can have both out front. Very easy install! You will love them!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimel View Post
My Stebel saved me the other day. Guy pulling out of an auction pulling a trailer with a 1 ton pickup. He was so busy watching to make sure his trailer cleared the lot he didn't see me despite hi-viz and lights. A tap on the Stebel and he put his wife into the dash and almost jackknifed his trailer...no trailer brakes obviously. I got flipped off but am alive and well.
Having a Stebel blown at you with the window down Holly Sh#%!

What about the guys shorts!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 01:45 AM

Wink

Just got back from a 3 months ride (well off and on) Gotta work sometime? I found that my best defense mechanism was sane speeds, an alert mind, and aggressive front brakes? Incountered???? answer D: All the above ,over 8642 miles in the last 90 days. My thinking is that in time it might take to push the horn button that I could cover both brakes and maybe avoid incidents? Well I'm alive to write this. BTW I did use that feeble stock horn 2 alert cute girls that I'm rollin through, Most seem to smile at Beep Beeep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lean/Two
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode