Clutch cable replacement - is there a trick here? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dddd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Clutch cable replacement - is there a trick here?

Hello,

I suck at these kinds of things, so I am probably just doing something really stupid, but I am trying to replace my clutch cable. The very end of the cable on the engine side won't slip out of its little slot. Is there a trick to this?

09 Versys, GREEEEN, Givi tail case and shield.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Loosen the boot off the cable, slide it back, then move the cable forward enough to slip the actual cable line between the gap in the bracket(this can only be done if there is enough slack in the line to begin with). Once the cable is removed from the bracket, you will have plenty of slack to remove it from the clutch. Installation is reverse order.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel13 View Post
Loosen the boot off the cable, slide it back, then move the cable forward enough to slip the actual cable line between the gap in the bracket(this can only be done if there is enough slack in the line to begin with). Once the cable is removed from the bracket, you will have plenty of slack to remove it from the clutch. Installation is reverse order.
Thanks, I got it done with great assistance from a fellow rider locally. We did have some trouble getting the cable right at both ends until we took off the handlebar section. The part seems to be the exact length you need and if you don't do that, it just won't go.

09 Versys, GREEEEN, Givi tail case and shield.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 07:53 AM

Aside from creating some slack from the upper adjustment bolt, you have to change the 5-position clutch lever depth adjustment to clear the hole.
Versys514 likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 11:14 PM

If you have to replace the clutch cable, do yourself a favor and buy two. Route them both where the old cable was, connect one and zip tie the ends of the spare. I cover the end of the unused one with shrink tube to keep out contamination. If a clutch cable is going to break, you know it will be when you are in some god forsaken location, with maybe no buddies around. This way, you can be on your way in about 10 minutes.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfart View Post
If you have to replace the clutch cable, do yourself a favor and buy two. Route them both where the old cable was, connect one and zip tie the ends of the spare. I cover the end of the unused one with shrink tube to keep out contamination. If a clutch cable is going to break, you know it will be when you are in some god forsaken location, with maybe no buddies around. This way, you can be on your way in about 10 minutes.
That's a great idea.... if you choose to not inspect and lube every year...

I suspect it's really tight to pass a 2nd cable. I find the clutch cable easy to lube and inspect, and the throttle cable to be thin, hard to lube and hard to inspect (due to spring and tension) and throttle cable fails first, at the bottom end where it rubs on the edge of the metal sleeve (nice design, kawa!).

I carry a cable repair kit (just the thin and thick wires and tips, no sleeves); it's small like a cd or old 3.5" floppy.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 12:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It took a little work to get the transmission side of the clutch cable attached, but it wasn't that difficult. For the throttle cable I take the upper side apart and thoroughly lube it, using a liquid graphite based lube, and use the needle attachment for the graphite lube to sneak it into the sleeve to make sure the area where it rubs the sleeve is thoroughly lubed.

Clutch cable is the easy one, and will fail around 6k miles if never lubed (previous owners of my bike never lubed the clutch cable and mine broke at 6.5k). I've more than doubled the mileage that the original cable made it with no signs of wear, and I probably ride the bike a lot harder than the previous owners (bike was set full soft when I got it and the original rear tire had almost 2 inch chicken strips).
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvwbug View Post
Clutch cable is the easy one, and will fail around 6k miles if never lubed (previous owners of my bike never lubed the clutch cable and mine broke at 6.5k). I've more than doubled the mileage that the original cable made it with no signs of wear.
What?! I had only 1 failure, on the throttle cable which I never lubed, it was at 90'000km... There was a defect for sure, or cable sleeve misaligned or something...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvwbug View Post
...Clutch cable is the easy one, and will fail around 6k miles if never lubed (previous owners of my bike never lubed the clutch cable and mine broke at 6.5k)....
On my '08 the clutch-cable, NEVER lubed till around 40,000 miles when I noticed a few strands were broken, finally broke at around 52,000 and was replaced.

NOW I lube them fairly regularly.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
When I googled the clutch cable issue I saw quite a few other reports of them failing from neglect at 6k ish miles. My throttle cable which also was probably never lubed by the previous owners shows no signs of premature wear, it was definitely on the stiff side before I lubed it, but it is back to being as smooth as a new throttle now.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
To me, 6,000 miles to failure sounds a BIT early....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode