Cleaning Rotor Bobbins - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Smiley
  • 1 Post By Gigitt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Cleaning Rotor Bobbins

Hey guys,

I've got a lot of noise coming from my front wheel on my 2015. At low speeds its sort of a "shhh" accompanied by a periodic increase. So almost sounds like my rotors are warped, however I'm not getting noticeable pulsating when braking. So maybe it's an issue with a bearing? I've got to borrow my brother's front stand to really investigate. The bike is new to me so I don't know when the sound developed... but's only got 7,500 miles.

But in the meantime I saw some suggestions on cleaning the bobbins for the rotors. Mine cannot be turned my hand at all. It looks like you use some break cleaner and rotate them to free/clean. But I'm not seeing much concensus on whether or not to lubricate them (grease can attract dirt of course). What do y'all do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 08:21 AM

Find a short bolt & nut that fits thru the bobbing to facilitate rotating with a wrench & a very small application of Fast Eddie's wonder elixir (WD-40)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 08:29 AM

Garage
I recommend Liquid Wrench and the nut/bolt method to clean them, followed by a thorough flush of the entire rotor with brake cleaner.
onewizard likes this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks for the input guys. I'll do some minimal lubrication on the bobbins, sounds like most important think is to keep the rotors cleaned.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Be very careful about lubing the rotor bobbins with WD40.
Any fling will cause loss of braking!!!

I may have lightly lube them once in the past but you should try and NOT put any oil or lube near brake components.

I have cleaned my rotor bobbins many times now since WITHOUT LUBE (WD40).
Just use Brake Cleaner and a bolt with washers and 2x Nuts.
Once you do it, the next time at oil change services they are easier to clean.

The bobbins are supposed to be tight and not freely rotated (forget trying to rotate by hand)... you just clean them so they are not STUCK.
onewizard likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 06:42 AM

Your front discs could also simply be glazed. Google will yield various solutions, usually involving 3M pads and brake cleaner. I've had best results with 3-4 repeated hard (just short of ABS kicking-in) stops from 50-60 MPH. FWIW, some techs advise against brake cleaner on discs because they believe it can actually lead to disc glazing; I don't know if that's true or not, but I switched to Acetone years ago, which works just fine as a cleaner and is much cheaper to boot.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post

The bobbins are supposed to be tight and not freely rotated (forget trying to rotate by hand)... you just clean them so they are not STUCK.
That's interesting. Maybe that's not the issue then... I was under the impression they were supposed to be rotated fairly easy (by hand). I need to get my own front stand to diagnose, but what I did notice before was a sound which periodically increased when rotating, with a lack of free rotation. It sounded like brake pads were rubbing and that the rotor was warped. From what I've read, this is fairly uncommon, and further my breaking feels smooth, as far as I can tell. I suppose it doesn't hurt to clean the bobbins, take a run, and see if the issue is still occurring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
Your front discs could also simply be glazed.
Would that cause the apparent noise I am experiencing?

Last edited by sternman318; 04-18-2018 at 10:17 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

So cleaned the bobbins, that didn't change it. Flushed the brakes, that didn't do anything.

Then I realized the max pressure on the side is not what it's supposed to be at hehe. I think 10lbs over pressure might have caused the loud tire noise. And the rotor warpage I heard was likely rubbing on the front stand mounts. I'll give it a ride tonight but I think the issue in the case was operator error
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode