Throttle problem question - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Throttle problem question

So I was fixing the chain and sprocket on my girlfriends Versys and while that turned into a job and a half dealing with the front sprocket it got dealt with and all is well now in that area. But I've noticed a problem with the throttle and I'm not sure how to correct it. What looks to be the return cable (I've seen it called decelleration cable) seems to slide off the throttle tube and get stuck in between the body that holds it together and the plastic tube attached to the throttle handle. Is that indicative of a stretched cable? Or is that more a case of a bad throttle tube or casing?
The cable in reference is in blue below and the red arrow is referencing where the cable seems to be moving out of place. I can probably get a picture of it tomorrow. I was waffling on doing a bunch of work to it but she's decided she really likes the bike and wants to keep it so that means I want to make it as awesome as possible.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
The return cable may need adjusting. You've opened the cover by the handgrip?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Yep. Had to open it to fix the cable position, it lasted a little while and as near as I can tell I have tightened the return cable as far as it will go.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 12:08 AM

Weird... I can't tell what's happening with it from here.
It's tightened all the way, and there's still some slack? Something is surely wrong.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 12:21 AM

According to service manual:

"Throttle Grip Free Play: 2-3 mm
If the throttle grip doesn’t return properly, check the throttle cable routing, grip free play, and cable damage. Then lubricate the throttle cable.
To adjust, loosen the locknut at the upper end of the accelerator cable. (under throttle grip) Turn the adjuster in completely so as to give the throttle grip plenty of play. Loosen the locknut at the middle of the decelerator cable. (see pic) Turn the adjuster until there is no play when the throttle grip is completely closed. Tighten the locknut. Turn the accelerator cable adjuster until the proper amount of throttle grip free play is obtained. Tighten the locknut."

You can easily pull the return cable adjuster that runs over the engine, adjust it then check with cable back up in its natural position. Shown here with locknut loosened and backed up to the right:

Last edited by invader; 10-10-2012 at 05:02 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I did that and it helped, but not enough. I'm gonna take a picture of it tomorrow
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 06:09 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
IS it possible the cable is stretched or internally damaged where it can't be seen, causing it to be a lot longer than is should be? I had a similar issue with a clutch cable but the damage was at the end and was obvious.

" I don't care about shinny chrome or loud exhaust, I don't ride to be seen, I ride because I want to disappear"

Halfthrottle
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 08:03 AM

Check if throttle cable is pinched.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
IS it possible the cable is stretched or internally damaged where it can't be seen, causing it to be a lot longer than is should be? I had a similar issue with a clutch cable but the damage was at the end and was obvious.
It's certainly possible and it's my primary concern. Also the kinking issue might be a problem. I'll go check it this morning and see what I can figure out.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Ok so I went out and removed the return cable from the arrangement and that seemed to have helped a lot. The cable is still a bit slack so I suspect I need to look into replacing it but hopefully my temporary solution doesn't set off any alarm bells with people.

This is what it looked like when I opened the casing

And the cable was bent and not good looking

So I disconnected it from both ends and moved the existing cable to use a bit more of the slack for the rest of fall so I can swap them out while it's in storage.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 07:48 PM

Yeah it got kinked at some point, maybe when it got too slack... You're fine without the return cable hooked up for now. Throttle does not tend to stick open on its own at all. You would only really need it to pass safety check.
So it's a bit slack still at its tightest position? I guess you just need a new throttle cable set.

Last edited by invader; 10-08-2012 at 10:01 PM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

That's kind of what I thought, but wanted to get some addition insight. I'll just order up a cable set over the winter and prep it for spring, I still need to properly bleed the damned back brakes so they do something rather than nothing and I'm ****ty at that.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkbox View Post
That's kind of what I thought, but wanted to get some addition insight. I'll just order up a cable set over the winter and prep it for spring, I still need to properly bleed the damned back brakes so they do something rather than nothing and I'm ****ty at that.
Beg, borrow or steal a vacuum bleeder. EASY!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Actually, only the throttle cable is adjustable (not the return cable).

According to service manual:

"Throttle Grip Free Play: 2-3 mm
If the throttle grip doesn’t return properly, check the throttle cable routing, grip free play, and cable damage. Then lubricate the throttle cable.
To adjust, loosen the locknut at the upper end of the accelerator cable. (under throttle grip) Turn the adjuster in completely so as to give the throttle grip plenty of play. Loosen the locknut at the middle of the decelerator cable. (see pic) Turn the adjuster until there is no play when the throttle grip is completely closed. Tighten the locknut. Turn the accelerator cable adjuster until the proper amount of throttle grip free play is obtained. Tighten the locknut."

You can easily pull the mid-cable adjuster that runs over the engine, adjust it then check with cable back up in its natural position. Shown here with locknut loosened and backed up to the right:

Actually, there is an adjustment for both cables. (Pic from Page 2-15 of manual.) I may have this backward, but I believe the adjuster for the decel cable is on the handle bar (underneath) and the adjust for the accel cable is inline, close to where the cable is connected to the spool on the throttle body assy. (This one is quite hidden -- you'll have to search for it. Invader has it pictured above.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg throttle - versys.jpg (8.9 KB, 61 views)

-Never mistake kindness for weakness.
-Harley Davidson rEvolution engine (V-Rod): Designed by Porsche, detuned by Harley.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 04:10 AM Thread Starter

I found both of those yeah, and it made a difference but not a huge one. I may just be spoiled right now by the tighter tolerances of my Triumph too, which I suppose I should expect more out of a bike twice the price.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 05:00 AM

Lightbulb

Oh yeah, the upper cable's adjuster on my pic is the return cable... Tightening the return cable rotates the throttle grip in the same direction as when opening the throttle valves, which also reduces cable slack.

Last edited by invader; 10-11-2012 at 01:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode