Heated grips - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Heated grips

I installed a pair of KOSO Apollo heated grips onto my Gen 3 650 yesterday (after installing the same type onto my Gen 1 during the AZ winter), and have several "observations" as a result of doing it twice onto my two Vs:

1. I removed the OEM grips using compressed-air. SUPER quick and easy!...;
2. On my '08 I wondered WHY the throttle-side grip had a (1/4"???) gap between it and the switch for the starter after the INSTALL, and upon removal of the OEM grip I saw that it has a 'flange' cut to hold the OEM grip in place on the RAISED "rib" that circles the plastic throttle-sleeve, BUT the Apollo throttle grip does NOT have that 'flange', so I VERY gently removed the "rib" w/ a very sharp blade, then used sand-paper to make it even w/ the throttle-sleeve...; and
3. Knowing that, ONCE INSTALLED, the grips are quite difficult to move to a different location (EASILY possible by turning the grips to the HOTTEST setting, and once HOT, they turn easily!), so I carefully had them aligned to where I wanted them to be, put some dishwashing soap onto the sleeve (or handlebar on the left), then used a rubber mallet to "urge" them on to where I needed them.

ELECTRICALLY....

1. On the Gen 1 I ran power from the "FUZEBLOC" I had installed years back, under my seat;
2. On the Gen 3 I utilized the wires (thoughtfully included by 'Ma Kawi' for the 'factory heated grips', found under the left mid-fairing, powered thru the factory required relay that mounts BEHIND the headlights), but as I didn't have a Kawi connector I just soldered into those wires, c/w the Apollo supplied inline fuse; and
3. On the '08 I ran the lines under the gas-tank, back to the FUZEBLOC, but for the '15 [as it's ALL happening up front] I 'nestled' them into the space between the headlights, under the front fairing (that holds both headlights).

I ran a functional test several times - FIRST to ensure that those wires were 'HOT' before I did the soldering, then AFTER - as PROOF.

I'm looking forward to trying them out!

weljo2001 likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode