HIgh idle....??? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
HIgh idle....???

Took the bike on an over night trip...about 90 miles each way....trip down was uneventful....some highway some back roads.

today on my way back on jump on the interstate to get out of the congested areas then the plan was to move to back roads for the rest of the way. I got off after a few exits for gas.....got back on the interstate....no issue....got off a while later and when slowing I noticed the rpms would only drop to around 2600....if I dragged on the break I could get it to drop to about 1800. I had no warning lights or anything....the bike did seem to run a little rough and the performance seemed a little down but it could have been my imagination. I was afraid to shut it down for fear of not restarting. I tried adjusting the idle screw but that made no difference. So after a bit I hopped back on the interstate. Finally had to stop at a rest area for a bathroom break....when I came out it started and the idle dropped to zero and stalled....this I figured was because the idle screw was still turned out....Got back on the interstate and rode with out issue the 20 minutes home....It seems to idle normally now..

So any idea what happened?? bad gas?? fuel filter plugged, ECU got stupid??
It acted like a lean carb...

" I don't care about shinny chrome or loud exhaust, I don't ride to be seen, I ride because I want to disappear"

Halfthrottle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 12:54 PM

When is the last time you lubed the throttle cables? Sounds like one or the other might be sticking.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

I pretty sure that wasn't the situation. The throttle worked fine and returned back fully at the throttle body end...lubing it couldn't hurt but I think it was more related to a fuel issue

" I don't care about shinny chrome or loud exhaust, I don't ride to be seen, I ride because I want to disappear"

Halfthrottle

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 01:58 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Fuel mixture is a bit lean at idle and up to about 2800 rpm, especially at low altitudes and which has caused some to experience the hanging (high) idle speed... Is yours stock? Which grade of gasoline with how much ethanol content did you get? What altitude were you at, and how cold was it outside? What's your mileage, and was the TB vacuum synch checked? Look also for vacuum leaks.

Rotating your main throttle sensor counterclockwise slightly (about 1/32") to have WOT voltage output within spec with idle position voltage output at just above spec, adds enough fuel at low throttle opening to cure it and also improves driveability.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

Everything is stock right down to the exhaust. 87 Octane gas...I think it was 10% ethanol but not sure. Air temps was about 50-55 degrees (F). Bike has about 11K miles on it. I haven't done any work to the bike other than routine maintenance...basically oil changes, chain lube, etc....

I haven't had a chance to check anything, but after a stop and restart the idle returned to normal.

Halfthrottle
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 06:29 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Cold air also affected it, and it was better after a stop and heat soak... Are you at near sea level? Adjusting TB vacuum synch would help if it's off balance, and you can try adjusting main throttle sensor if it acts up again... Using ethanol-free gasoline would be highly advisable, as would higher octane, especially at near sea level, and also when they switch to winter gasoline.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 07:57 AM

Try when bike at idle, to turn the handlebars left right and see if idle speed affected.

Check if throttle cable is not too tight. to adjust to suit.

Try the bike a fresh batch of fuel.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 08:04 AM

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Cold air also affected it, and it was better after a stop and heat soak... Are you at near sea level? Adjusting TB vacuum synch would help if it's off balance, and you can try adjusting main throttle sensor if it acts up again... Using ethanol-free gasoline would be highly advisable, as would higher octane, especially at near sea level, and also when they switch to winter gasoline.

Ethanol free gas around here is virtually nonexistent....I'm not high above sea level less than 1000 feet probably more like 500 I could check the average altitude on my GPS.

I'll have to dig into things and check the sync....my guess, this was bad gas either from too much ethanol or just **** gas. Since the symptoms started shortly after I filled up....however I have not put fresh gas in yet and it seems fine now...

I'll also check to make sure no cables were being pinched. I should have time tonight to mess with it a bit.

Thanks

Halfthrottle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode