3Likes
  • 1 Post By Gigitt
  • 1 Post By AlaskaJeff
  • 1 Post By Hodaka

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2018, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Headlight help!

I am in the process of de-farkleing my new to me 2008 Versys. Ripped all of the scotch locks out of the wiring, pulled accessories off that were wired directly to battery, found a frayed throttle cable, and yanked out the illegal LED toy bulbs from the headlight housings.
Which presents me with a problem: the bulb adaptor thingys are long gone, so now I can’t plug in my beautiful new H7 bulbs. Can anyone confirm that this product roughly resembles the factory bits : https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-49145-645-540.aspx

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2018, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Here is the Part number from Partzilla 2008 Versys 650:
SOCKET,HEAD LAMP
23017-1067

more:
https://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/o...cket-head-lamp
https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts...-0004/b1565842
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Veersys Headlight Adapter.jpg (31.3 KB, 34 views)
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by Gigitt; 04-10-2018 at 11:10 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Excellent - looks like the same thing, thanks! Now to see where I can get it quickest/cheapest.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

My local auto parts supplier brought me two of the Dorman parts in overnight, something like $28 (CDN)plus tax for the pair.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:41 AM

Wot, tax to hold it in??
Old 04-13-2018, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
Wot, tax to hold it in??
Yes, plus some gorilla glue for good measure.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:37 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Dorman # 645-540 same as Airtex/Wells # 1P2071... You could also pull a pair from a 2001-2003 Mazda Protégé, 2004-2009 Mazda 3, or 2006-2010 Mazda 5 from your local wreck yard.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/partsearch/?partnum=645-540

$6.78 per pair, free overnight delivery from China

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-2pc-...JZw46G&vxp=mtr

Last edited by invader; 04-14-2018 at 04:53 AM.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodaka View Post
I am in the process of de-farkleing my new to me 2008 Versys. Ripped all of the scotch locks out of the wiring, pulled accessories off that were wired directly to battery, found a frayed throttle cable, and yanked out the illegal LED toy bulbs from the headlight housings.
Which presents me with a problem: the bulb adaptor thingys are long gone, so now I can’t plug in my beautiful new H7 bulbs. Can anyone confirm that this product roughly resembles the factory bits : https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-49145-645-540.aspx

Thanks!
Are LED headlights illegal in Canada?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Old 04-14-2018, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Not that I've read, or heard of. I see lots of vehicles with LED or HID conversions. Most are crap that blind oncoming motorists, but the police or other enforcement agencies don't seem to bother with them unless they are wanting to add more charges to an idiot's list of offenses, typically before impounding their vehicle and suspending their license.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Factory installed are not illegal, but almost all of the aftermarket ones you can buy are illegal in Canada and the US.
Yes another LED Headlight conversion question

I suppose a blanket “illegal” is strong. “Not legal for use on public roads” is more accurate, and I plan to use my Versys on public roads a lot.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
Are LED headlights illegal in Canada?
Canada has the same basic vehicle lighting laws as the USA, so in this case yes.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
There are DOT certified LED replacement bulbs. Headlight bulbs as well as other bulbs. Phillips was the first to market with them.

Sure, there are lots of crap bulbs available for cheap. But that doesn't make them all crap or illegal. The bulbs I'm currently running are almost compliant. The beam pattern is perfect, but they don't draw enough power to be compliant with DOT standards. Standards that are decades out of date.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodaka View Post
Factory installed are not illegal, but almost all of the aftermarket ones you can buy are illegal in Canada and the US.
Yes another LED Headlight conversion question

I suppose a blanket “illegal” is strong. “Not legal for use on public roads” is more accurate, and I plan to use my Versys on public roads a lot.
Where are you getting that information? EVERY bulb on my Versys to include both High and Low Beams are LED. It's been that way for 3 years running with no problems. I would think that the 6000K+ HIDs are more of a problem than any of the aftermarket LEDs available.
unstable_rider likes this.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Old 04-16-2018, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Start with the link I posted above.
Here’s another thread that points to the actual laws and such:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ents-amp-Links
AlaskaJeff likes this.

Last edited by Hodaka; 04-16-2018 at 01:11 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:01 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I use very cheap, generic H7 bulbs I buy online for only a few dollars each in my Versys, for cost reasons, and rely on aux LED spot/driving lights wired to my high beam switch for night time illumination when I need it. The aux lights seem to focus the cree LEDs in the aux lights a lot better than the regular bulb housings on the Versys. Night time illumination is like a UFO is about to land, compared to the stock bike and better than my car.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-16-2018 at 05:04 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16VGTIDave View Post
There are DOT certified LED replacement bulbs. Headlight bulbs as well as other bulbs. Phillips was the first to market with them.
I checked the Philips lighting website, as I would LOVE to be able to use safe, legal, LED bulbs in my vehicles. The current listing of LED exterior bulbs is limited to: 194, 921, 1156, 1157, 3157, 7440, and 7443. I have a few of these on my other vehicle. There are also H8/H11/H16 fog-light specific bulbs listed. Unfortunately, none of these are headlamp bulbs. they also have this statement on their site:
https://www.usa.philips.com/c-m-au/car-lights/turnon
"Why does "street-legal" matter?

Some LED lights appear to be bright, but they do not produce a well-focused beam of light when they are used in your vehicle. As a result, their light output is poor and even potentially dangerous - definitely not street legal.
The light output of Philips Ultinon LED lights is not only bright, but also creates a well-focused light beam on the road. That is why ‘street-legal’ matters and why Philips made sure that the Philips Ultinon LED lights have a street-legal beam pattern."

The Ultinon light referred to in this statement are the ones I listed above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in