Poor performance under 3k RPM - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SteveJ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Poor performance under 3k RPM

Hi Guys,

So finally got to take my Versys out recently since buying this February.. winter just wont leave! Went through and did chain, clutch, throttle, and idle speed adjustment.

I noticed the motor didn't really respond well under 3K. I understand this isn't in the peak power band, but 3K and under just suck. Really rough, sluggish.

I know there are some temperature issues (people install Thermo-bobs) and it was about 65 F throughout the day. Could that be it? Or is this just how the motor is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 04:39 PM

I'm sure there are people here that know the specifics but since owning mine I find that the Versys (compared to my CTX700) generally hits a good spot at 5,000 rpm. (On my CTX it's around 3500-4000) When I'm increasing speed I tend to combine the engine sound and feel to judge a good shifting point. I find myself in 6th gear sometimes around the CTX's mark, 3500-4000 rpm...and then I can feel the Versys lagging so I downshift.
As of late (as I'm still getting used to it) I have been cruising between 55-60 mph in 5th gear, which is around 4500 rpm. Anything above that and I'll bump it up to 6th.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sternman318 View Post
...I noticed the motor didn't really respond well under 3K. I understand this isn't in the peak power band, but 3K and under just suck. Really rough, sluggish....Or is this just how the motor is?...
IF you have a Gen 3 650 (2015 and on...) - it's just how the motor is.

LOVE mine, but took some getting used to after riding a pair of Gen 1s for seven years (THEY "pull" from around idle...!).

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 06:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
IF you have a Gen 3 650 (2015 and on...) - it's just how the motor is.

LOVE mine, but took some getting used to after riding a pair of Gen 1s for seven years (THEY "pull" from around idle...!).

One of the things I loved about my Gen 2 was when I took that demo ride and she just lofted the front wheel effortlessly! I had a huge under my helmet and knew I was going to buy one. Had 30,000 fun miles on that bike.

I didn't know until now that the Gen 3 650s were a little anemic down low. Did they change gear ratios or engine internals?

My Versys Travels:

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Yup it's a Gen 3. Would 16 tooth in the front help? My Suzuki SV650 had this problem, turns out adjusting the throttle position sensor helped spit fuel a little sooner and made the bike much more lively at lower RPMs.

EDIT: Found some posts on adjusting the TPS. I think I'll look into doing that. If it's anything like it did on my SV650, it's exactly what I'm looking for.

Last edited by sternman318; 04-07-2018 at 07:25 PM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 07:23 AM
jpd

Garage
My Gen 2 is not all that great below 3k and has that small shudder right at 3k. down shift one gear and keep it 3500 or above and it is fantastic.

Jeff

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 08:41 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
ya the power band (IMO) really starts to kick in around 4500 rpm

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 10:08 AM

I re-read your post several times...........my 15' 650 is fine from idle up if you are in the correct gear. You mention "rough" and "sluggish" and if you are in the wrong gear and trying to accelerate then it should/would be sluggish and perhaps a bit rough (lugging the engine). If it is more like a miss in lower RPM's then you have a problem. It's not exactly warm here yet but I have been out several time so far this year and my bike runs fine even when it's a bit cold.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Hmm I'll have to go on a ride and pinpoint what's exactly going on. But it's definitely lugging, it's just odd to me that it happens until about 3K. I don't think it's gear choice, as I understand the RPM is the RPM, the gearing just adjusts the rear wheel speed to the motor speed..

So I gather it's not a temp or TPS issue. Maybe I have to adjust my expectations and get used to keeping it above 3K.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 10:59 AM

I've noticed that if i'm cruising around 3k in town, if I hammer on the throttle it is a bit aneamic, and chugs a bit, but if I apply throttle slowly and gently it picks up, and then I can hammer it on once it gets to 4k+

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 02:58 PM
jpd

Garage
If you are having a problem pulling below 3k in 1st or 2nd you might have a problem, if you are trying to lug it down to 3k in 5th or 6th and expect it to pull hard I don't think it will happen. The power band is higher in the rev range. If you are still trying to ride it in the new break in rpm range you will be disappointed. Spin it a few K more rpm and it is a whole other bike and much more fun to ride.

Jeff

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 04:39 PM

Garage
air filter ok? how many miles on it

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 05:24 PM

Garage
I have a 2015 V650 and had the same thing I think. I have found that upgrading the fuel to mid grade or better makes the engine
much smoother and lugs lower, easier. For less than a buck (for a tankful) more next time you gas up, it's worth a try.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 10:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddye View Post
I have a 2015 V650 and had the same thing I think. I have found that upgrading the fuel to mid grade or better makes the engine
much smoother and lugs lower, easier. For less than a buck (for a tankful) more next time you gas up, it's worth a try.
I reported the same thing last summer-but it is worth repeating mid grade does smooth things out and I think everyone with a Gen 3 should try it

Deep in Cajun Country
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangles View Post
I've noticed that if i'm cruising around 3k in town, if I hammer on the throttle it is a bit aneamic, and chugs a bit, but if I apply throttle slowly and gently it picks up, and then I can hammer it on once it gets to 4k+
That is your engine talking to you. 3k rpm with a smart application of throttle would seem to be a lugging situation, to be avoided as it can destroy an engine.

The motor is designed and tuned to run at mid to high rpms, why would a person not run it there? This is a rhetorical question, not aimed at any one in particular.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangles View Post
+1 Any attempt at hard acceleration below 3K is a bit sluggish. Took some getting used to keeping the V at a little higher RPM's, especially accelerating out of corners. Try modifying your riding habits a little and see how you feel. (Mine is an 11 by the way)

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
+1 Any attempt at hard acceleration below 3K is a bit sluggish. Took some getting used to keeping the V at a little higher RPM's, especially accelerating out of corners. Try modifying your riding habits a little and see how you feel. (Mine is an 11 by the way)
Said it before, bit I'll say it again - on my '08 (and '09 while I had it...) I can ride around in 6th gear, down as low as 2,500 rpm, hit the throttle and it PULLS well! But on my '15 IF I try that it REALLY doesn't like it, so I GENERALLY don't use 6th much below 4,500 - to ACCELERATE...! I still ride in 6th mostly, just NO full-throttle at low speeds!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
Said it before, but I'll say it again - on my '08 (and '09 while I had it...) I can ride around in 6th gear, down as low as 2,500 rpm, hit the throttle and it PULLS well! But on my '15 IF I try that it REALLY doesn't like it, so I GENERALLY don't use 6th much below 4,500 - to ACCELERATE...! I still ride in 6th mostly, just NO full-throttle at low speeds w/out shifting down!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 04-10-2018 at 02:12 PM.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input folks. Sounds like it's just the way the motor is. Again, coming from the SV650, it had fueling problems that could be adjusted away, so I figured it was the case here. I'll still get a thermo-bob and maybe tinker with the TPS, in anycase. And I'll definitely give the higher octane fuel a shot, I can spare $1 hehe.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 10:26 PM

This is my opinion, not meant to antagonize or offend anyone or to pick a fight.

While the engine can loaf just fine at low rpms, say 2500, what happens if you need a quick shot of power to accelerate out of a bad situation. Think a 4 wheeler encroaching on your lane to change lanes. A lot of times this happens, a quick shot of power to get out of their way is the prudent action. By loafing down low you remove one avenue of escape from a potential disaster. That's why I like to keep the engine where it can produce power instantly. Down shifting 2-3 gears to get power can take too long and will cut your escape time.

I'm almost always running at least 4k rpms with an occasional drop to maybe 3500.
Duffy likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode