First Drop Question.... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
First Drop Question....

Being a new rider, I finally dropped my '08 V on it's right side after 2 months of riding, at a stop . After lifting up my visor to defog after spewing a plethora of expletives, I lowered the side stand, picked it up, noticed the new scars on the radiator cover, turned it off/on, cranked it up and rode off frazzled.

Now, after something like a slow/0 speed drop, is there anything that I will need to check that is not cosmetic that could affect the engine since it laid on it's side? The reason I am asking is that after riding for about 20 minutes and parking it in the garage, I noticed a faint smell like the burning oil. I really dunno if it was always there, or I just paid more attention after the incident.

Could there be a problem?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 09:06 PM

Garage
You will always notice more things after a incident like that. I know that I did after sliding out 2 years ago. I broke my wrist and was in a cast for over a month. At first when having the bike back in my garage I noticed all these little "damages", while idling it or checking over it. But when I was actually looking for the problems I could find them, and if I wasn't sure it had to be a problem.
Since I couldn't pull in the clutch with a cast, I did not ride the bike for over a month. By the time I was able to ride I had realized most of the stuff was there before hand, and I relaxed.

Now I am not saying you have no problems with your bike, you could. Just think you may be over looking for problems.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 09:55 PM

Double check your right foot peg. They tend to snap the tip off in a simple drop. Not a show stopper but bothersome and not totally cheap to replace if it does happen.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips. You are right, it did tend to make me overreact to every little thing on the bike. Maybe since its my first new to me motorcye. It's strange but my car cost like X times more, but I tend to baby the bike more! What is it about motorcyes?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 07:36 AM

Also make sure your bike is tracking straight. After a fall or 3 mine got a nasty shimmy to it when hands are taken off the bars. Disclaimer: If you're not comfortable riding without hands DO NOT attempt this to see if you have a shimmy too. If you do and it's anything like mine it may well freak you out when you let go. You may also be able to feel a bit of a tug with both hands loosely on the bars...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0518 View Post
Being a new rider, I finally dropped my '08 V on it's right side after 2 months of riding, at a stop . After lifting up my visor to defog after spewing a plethora of expletives, I lowered the side stand, picked it up, noticed the new scars on the radiator cover, turned it off/on, cranked it up and rode off frazzled.

Now, after something like a slow/0 speed drop, is there anything that I will need to check that is not cosmetic that could affect the engine since it laid on it's side? The reason I am asking is that after riding for about 20 minutes and parking it in the garage, I noticed a faint smell like the burning oil. I really dunno if it was always there, or I just paid more attention after the incident.

Could there be a problem?

Thanks
Suggest installing a set of SW-Motech engine bars. They will make the bike impervious to damage from drops, especially with added spools on the swing arm and hand guards.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
Suggest installing a set of SW-Motech engine bars. They will make the bike impervious to damage from drops, especially with added spools on the swing arm and hand guards.
+1- Mine have been great and prevented a good deal of damage. I wouldn't say they make the bike impervious, as the handlebars can still take a nasty hit- but as close to it as one can get.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 02:16 PM

[QUOTE=goat12;217758]. After a fall or 3 mine got a nasty shimmy to it when hands are taken off the bars.

Sorry for jumping in here but what caused the shimmy and how did you fix it?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 02:24 PM

[quote=Buckeye;217800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat12 View Post
. After a fall or 3 mine got a nasty shimmy to it when hands are taken off the bars.

Sorry for jumping in here but what caused the shimmy and how did you fix it?
Well, it started after the last knockover (stationary, parked)- So i have to assume it was due the handlebar ends hitting the ground. So far as the fix goes- I brought it into my EX shop who lied to me about the front tire being low as the cause. This was total bull****, and the reason they are now my EX shop, as it continues to this day. I've read a few posts indicating it would be easier to diagnose with the front wheel off the ground, but alas I have no front stand. I've also read that loosening the triple tree clamps (I think) and hitting the front wheel with a board and then re-tightening can address the issue, but I have yet to try it...

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 03:48 PM

All I have to say is, if you have Givi V35s and Barkbusters, you can't touch any part of the bike itself to the ground except the fork, unless you somehow turn it upside-down.

Also, V35s are good for a 40mph slide to a stop on asphalt.

I'd rather be riding.
2005 Triumph Speed Triple | 2009 Blue Versys
1997 Suzuki DR350SE (sold) | 2004 Triumph Speed Four (sold) | 2008 ZX6R (sold) | 2008 Concours 14 (sold) | 2007 Suzuki M50 (sold) | 2006 Ninja 500 (sold)

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 04:16 PM

I'm guessing you've tested that one Jehos? I know my barkbusters and engine guard probably saved me a grand in damages on my Tiger from a low speed high side on gravel.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 06:59 PM

[quote=goat12;217802]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post

Well, it started after the last knockover (stationary, parked)- So i have to assume it was due the handlebar ends hitting the ground. So far as the fix goes- I brought it into my EX shop who lied to me about the front tire being low as the cause. This was total bull****, and the reason they are now my EX shop, as it continues to this day. I've read a few posts indicating it would be easier to diagnose with the front wheel off the ground, but alas I have no front stand. I've also read that loosening the triple tree clamps (I think) and hitting the front wheel with a board and then re-tightening can address the issue, but I have yet to try it...
You don't have to whack anything. Probably nothing's bent. Usually the forks will twist a little in the triple clamps. Just loosen the lower triples and the axle pinch bolts and bounce the forks using the front brake. Try to get as much fork travel as possible. Tighten everything up and you should be ready to go.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 07:40 AM

[quote=ttpete;217829]
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat12 View Post

You don't have to whack anything. Probably nothing's bent. Usually the forks will twist a little in the triple clamps. Just loosen the lower triples and the axle pinch bolts and bounce the forks using the front brake. Try to get as much fork travel as possible. Tighten everything up and you should be ready to go.
Nice, thanks. Will try.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode