Input Appreciated: Passing Switch Issue - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
COD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Input Appreciated: Passing Switch Issue

Maybe a stupid question ... but ... I've noticed that when I fully pull in my clutch the lever presses in on the passing switch and my high beams flash. I'm thinking either;

(a) This is normal and I'm simply pulling the clutch lever fuller than is necessary?

(b) I need to adjust my clutch lever ... but would the adjuster dial solve this problem (I think no)?

(c) I must always pass other vehicles (regardless of upshift or downshift) and/or confuse other drivers while I'm stopped at an intersection.

I have no mods in place (hand guards etc) - and everything is OEM.

COD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 07:08 PM

Can you take a picture or describe what is hitting the switch?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
COD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemisis714 View Post
Can you take a picture or describe what is hitting the switch?
Thanks for the help Nemesis. It's the clutch lever itself. If I squeeze in the lever fully it toggles the pass switch. Now I'm guessing it's not normal. I'll grab a pic when the sun is back up.

COD

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by COD View Post
Thanks for the help Nemesis. It's the clutch lever itself. If I squeeze in the lever fully it toggles the pass switch. Now I'm guessing it's not normal. I'll grab a pic when the sun is back up.

COD
I had a look, and it is possible if the clutch lever isn't mounted directly up against the hand grip.There are two allen head cap screws holding the clutch assembly to the handlebar, proper mounting is directly up against the hand grip.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
(a) This is normal and I'm simply pulling the clutch lever fuller than is necessary?

(b) I need to adjust my clutch lever ... but would the adjuster dial solve this problem (I think no)?
(a) is half right: it isn't normal, but you're probably pulling the clutch lever too far. Best to have it adjusted to disengage with little movement. It needs to meet the free-play spec, but clutch operation shouldn't take much travel.

My clutch lever goes just below the high-beam switch, but even if it didn't, I could pull it to the grips and it wouldn't touch--my grips may be slightly bigger than stock though.

You're controls might be in an odd position--or maybe the controls are different between 1st & 2nd gen?

Unless you have tiny hands you shouldn't need to pull the clutch lever anywhere near the bars.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 12:45 AM

You can also try to rotate the lever holder slightly lower to avoid hitting the Passing switch.
Just loosen the 2 bolts tying the mirror holder slightly until the mirror holder can be rotated.

Mine is adjusted to clear slightly below the switch at full pull of the lever.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Maybe a stupid question ... but ... I've noticed that when I fully pull in my clutch the lever presses in on the passing switch and my high beams flash. I'm thinking either;

(c) I must always pass other vehicles (regardless of upshift or downshift) and/or confuse other drivers while I'm stopped at an intersection.

I have no mods in place (hand guards etc) - and everything is OEM.

COD
I believe you have your fingers on the lever TOO far to the right - they SHOULD be between the 'dog-leg' and the ball on the end of the lever, that is - on the part of the lever that comes closest to the grip when pulled.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I believe you have your fingers on the lever TOO far to the right - they SHOULD be between the 'dog-leg' and the ball on the end of the lever, that is - on the part of the lever that comes closest to the grip when pulled.
I have a 07, the clutch lever is offset to clear the passing switch, however, if the mirror / clutch assembly were mounted a 1/2 inch to the right of the grip, it would only take half travel to trip switch. As to using your fingers IMO your finger would be crushed by the clutch lever, best to have a picture of the problem.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
COD

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewhtf View Post
You can also try to rotate the lever holder slightly lower to avoid hitting the Passing switch.
Just loosen the 2 bolts tying the mirror holder slightly until the mirror holder can be rotated.

Mine is adjusted to clear slightly below the switch at full pull of the lever.
That did the trick. I adjusted the lever holder as suggested - although I adjusted it so that the clutch lever cleared just above the passing switch.

Really appreciate the help this forum provides!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode