headlight issue - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
headlight issue

Was out after dark last night,stopped to get fuel,and when I started back up,my headlight didn't come back on...Turned the key off,started back up,and it came on....Went out a few minutes ago,started up,and no light...Turned off the key,started again,and this time there was about a 2 or 3 second delay before the light came on....This is on an 08.....Is there a relay for the headlight that could be going bad? All fuses and connections seem to be good....It never flickered last night after it came back on,so I am not thinking in the lines of a short....There has to be a switch somewhere that turns it on when the engine starts....
Hoodlum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 03:25 PM

Service manuals in this thread: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=2846

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 03:45 PM

Is it the same with high and low beam? If it's a low beam only issue it may just be your bulb is about to die.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Is it the same with high and low beam? If it's a low beam only issue it may just be your bulb is about to die.
Good point, when it happens try high beam, if that does work, then you have a low beam bulb or bulb connection problem. The low and high beam are powered by the same relay circuit. I would be more inclined that the relay is going, from what I have seen in the wiring diagram, the headlight relay is part of a relay box assembly . The headlight comes on after the starter button is released, headlight goes out momentarily when the starter button is pressed.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response...It is both high and low beam.....I have concluded a new relay box is in order,and on order....
Hoodlum
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 05:10 PM

Garage
Good luck.

Please tell us how the new relay box works out. This issue is new to me.

When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 09:53 AM

I had a "similar" sounding problem with my 2008. Replacement of the starter relay (a.k.a. magnetic switch P/N 27010-1446) ultimately (I changed the relay package and the headlight issue persisted) fixed the problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A2ron
Charleston, SC
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

So help me understand....Are you saying the starter selenoid fixed the problem? I didn't realise the headlight went through it...I will keep that in mind if the relay doesn't fix the problem...I am hoping it will be here today or tomorrow....
Hoodlum

Last edited by hoodlum; 10-02-2012 at 07:38 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodlum View Post
So help me understand....Are you saying the starter selenoid fixed the problem? I didn't realise the headlight went through it...I will keep that in mind if the relay doesn't fix the problem...I am hoping it will be here today or tomorrow....
Hoodlum
You don't say what year your Versys is, but the Shop Manual for my 08, Electrical System 16-59 shows the starter relay (a.k.a the "magnetic switch") going to the headlight relay. Since I changed the relay package (contains the headlight relay) and it didn't fix the problem, changing the magnetic switch got the headlights working again.....for the last 3,000 miles to date.

The magnetic switch is under the small triangle access cover on the LH side of the bike, this is with the cover removed:

A2ron
Charleston, SC
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 04:00 PM

When everything else fails and the instructions are not helpful. Seek a qualified technician.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
When everything else fails and the instructions are not helpful. Seek a qualified technician.
Nothing has failed yet...My selenoid box should be here today....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode