7Likes
  • 5 Post By XenMoto
  • 1 Post By silviefox
  • 1 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Radiator Fan Motor D.I.Y (Bearing replacement)

Brief history:
Okay so after the month long ride I'm finally home. I've crossed 44,000 kms and won't be riding in the coming two months due to peak summers. So I took the bike apart for maintenance, including my first valve clearance check (will post about that in another thread). I've taken the radiator off the bike to make the access to the valve cover very easy.

Sooooo while I was inspecting the radiator, I turned the radiator fan by hand and it made a rather squeaky noise. I was surprised and took the fan off the radiator. After taking the fan blade assy off, I directly turned the shaft and could completely feel that the movement was coarse and not seamlessly smooth. So I decided to open the fan if I could and see what's the problem.

The fan blade assy is bolted to the motor shaft with a 8mm locknut.

Once the fan is off you need to take off the three screws off the fan housing. In this picture I've replaced them with Hex Key bolts as I had to cut the original Philips bolts as they had rusted and would not come out.

The housing can be pried open by sliding flat head screwdrivers under the lip of the fan motor housing. The magnet is quite strong and it's not that easy to take off. There is no glue or any other locking mechanism so no need to worry about breaking something.

Once the housing is open there are three parts. First would be this part, the front housing which houses the bearing right behind the fan blade assy.

This is the motor commutator/winding. There's plenty of black dust from the motor bushings all over the inside of the motor asst which I cleaned up.

The original bearing is on the other end of the shaft.

The other casing houses the magnet, bushes and a copper like O ring which sits between the 2nd bearing and housing.

Bearing no is 608 Z. Two bearings cost me $3.00. While the inner bearing on the end commutator shaft was fine I replaced both the bearings anyway.

New bearing installed and the fan assembly was put back together. Now it runs smoothly and slick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To be the most boring, logical, rational motorcyclist.

Last edited by XenMoto; 03-26-2018 at 01:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 01:57 AM

Great job Xen.

How often do you recommend removing the fan to have it cleaned up? Does any muck accumulate there? I am at 32k kms and haven't bothered to go behind and look yet.

Looking forward to your valve clearance update out here as well.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 03:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by red liner View Post
Great job Xen.

How often do you recommend removing the fan to have it cleaned up? Does any muck accumulate there? I am at 32k kms and haven't bothered to go behind and look yet.

Looking forward to your valve clearance update out here as well.
Honestly it depends, I wouldn't have taken the fan and radiator off if I wasn't doing the valve clearance check. India is mostly quite dusty and my radiator gets mucked up on every ride despite having a fender extender. A lot of this muck had accumulated around the fan.

The bearing on the shaft just behind the fan (2nd and 3rd image)is exposed to outside elements. The inner bearing was honestly fine and had no issues. I think as a preventive measure I'd smear a bit of waterproof grease so that no grime or water can enter the bearing.

Also I live in a rather hot climate, 40*C is common temp for nearly 4-5 months. My radiator fan will come on always if I go below 30kmph. Also in the Himalayas the motor seems to lean out a lot with altitude so that again triggers the radiator fan very easily. So my radiator fan stays on quite often hence the bearings would wear out faster?

But I will be cleaning the fan motor surroundings more often now (without taking it apart)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To be the most boring, logical, rational motorcyclist.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
nice job when my fan crapped out i just replaced it with one from a ninja of ebay for under $20... but when i opened my old one up the brushes were worn quite a bit and the copper contacts were fried
XenMoto likes this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
608 2rs instead of 608ZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenMoto View Post
Honestly it depends, I wouldn't have taken the fan and radiator off if I wasn't doing the valve clearance check. India is mostly quite dusty and my radiator gets mucked up on every ride despite having a fender extender. A lot of this muck had accumulated around the fan.

The bearing on the shaft just behind the fan (2nd and 3rd image)is exposed to outside elements. The inner bearing was honestly fine and had no issues. I think as a preventive measure I'd smear a bit of waterproof grease so that no grime or water can enter the bearing.

Also I live in a rather hot climate, 40*C is common temp for nearly 4-5 months. My radiator fan will come on always if I go below 30kmph. Also in the Himalayas the motor seems to lean out a lot with altitude so that again triggers the radiator fan very easily. So my radiator fan stays on quite often hence the bearings would wear out faster?

But I will be cleaning the fan motor surroundings more often now (without taking it apart)
If there is room, two things to consider, first if there is space between the fan and front motor housing, put a large rubber washer on here, that acts as a slinger, done on water pumps and generally all totally enclosed motors. Pack some grease between the bearing and housing, which helps to prevent water getting to the bearing. Last buy sealed ( 2RS)bearings instead of the ZZ which are dust seals.
XenMoto likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode