Will a tube fit inside the tubeless tire (valve fitment?) - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By Brockie
  • 3 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Will a tube fit inside the tubeless tire (valve fitment?)

It's the perfect day to be planning a solo remote ride next month - currently 38 degrees F and raining here. If I get a nasty flat out there it may not be sealable. Rather than carry two spare tires, what about carrying a tube? Will the tube valve fit through the hole where the tubeless valve is screwed in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 09:08 PM

Garage
Yes. But with tubeless tires you should be carrying a tubeless repair kit. That would be my first go to.
Save the tube for a tear that a worm will not fix - last resort.
Fly-Sig and Metalmad like this.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 09:14 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
for the hassle of removing the tire from rim why not just carry patches and some rubber cement? vs removing the valve stem and putting a tube in... just a thought

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 11:00 PM

Garage
Yes it will fit but like other have said what's the point-also a few things you may not know-1 the stem hole is larger on your rim-2 a tubeless tire has ribs on the inside that will rub on the tube so a lot of baby power has to be used on the tube to keep the heat down from friction or POW and 3 with a tube in there you might not be able to seat the bead without popping the tube--tubes were never made for 50+ psi in a bike- so not a good or safe idea

Deep in Cajun Country
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

I'm planning a backcountry route which includes about 90 miles of the original transcontinental railway. You can ride on the original roadbed itself. Apparently it is unmaintained, so sometimes old spikes emerge which can cut a tire. Something like that is beyond a plug or patch. The tube would be for a worst case scenario so that I could limp out to civilization.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
It's the perfect day to be planning a solo remote ride next month - currently 38 degrees F and raining here. If I get a nasty flat out there it may not be sealable. Rather than carry two spare tires, what about carrying a tube? Will the tube valve fit through the hole where the tubeless valve is screwed in?
When I raced enduros I had friends who blew a tube that couldn't be fixed, so they pushed as much grass as they could inside the tire (it USUALLY breaks the bead when it goes flat) to fill it, then carefully rode it out.

SEEMED to work OK.
quexpress, Fly-Sig and Metalmad like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 08:21 PM

Garage
Anytime a tubeless repair does not work I will be idling out on the flat tire as it will be toast anyway. The rim would be my only concern.
I have also seen the grass trick work well enough to get the rider out unaided.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 10:53 PM

Garage
Anybody remember the old ISDT method of fixing a tube flat on the bike--I got real good at it--like I said in 50+ years I'm a Flat magnet

Deep in Cajun Country
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
...The rim would be my only concern....
It would be my MAIN concern.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode