• 1 Post By Jack of Heats JoH
  • 1 Post By Fly-Sig
  • 1 Post By Duffy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
oil change blues

help. i've just changed the oil and filter. on every bike i've previously owned, when i check the oil level, after filling, i would start the bike for a short time, then shut it down and watch the site glass. at the start, the oil level would immediately drop so thet no oil was visible in the glass, then, when shut off, would raise again to the proper level. i assumed the oil was used to lube the upper, head area, then drained down after shut off.

with my '16, the level is correct, i start the bike and the oil level rises in the glass to an overfill amount (the glass entirely obliterated with oil) and then falls to normal when shut down. it's driving me crazy!

is this right? would a couple of you guys please go out, get your bikes on the rear stand and check yours out?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 12:21 AM

When you shut the bike off, it should be between the fill lines. Do you have it centered?

60% of the time, it works every time
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 12:24 AM

I have done the oil changes on a Versys 1000 and a Concours. I put the amount in the manual, start and let run a couple minutes, turn off and let it level out. It always sat just below or at the upper fill line in the glass.
turn8a likes this.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
oil level check

Don't panic
Got your towel?
With the bike upright the oil is supposed to be between the lines with the bike OFF.
After that it will do all kinds of stuff. It's good to make sure you're putting in the amount spec'd by the manual, but the sight glass is the final check.
If you haven't gone any real distance you may see it get a milky appearance...that means you've been bad by not riding enough to warm everything up and burning off condensation. The only cure is to ride more...always ride more.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
i understand the oil level thing after shut off, but i'm concerned that, during the run portion,perhaps my upper end isn't receiving lube, or perhaps nothing is going through the oil filter?

the site glass being totally obscured with oil while running is what the issue is with me. i'm not used to that happening and, as it's unusual, is it possibly destructive?

what happens to your bike while running, as far as the site glass goes and the bike is level?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
If you have done the refill as per spec than you are good to go. Take a ride and see if there is overheating. If all is normal , than don't worry too much on the sight glass (as long as the bike is stationary and the oil fill is between the upper/lower limit.)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 11:03 PM

That's just the way it is, if you weren't getting lube to the top it would have been painfully evident with a capital $$
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 11:46 PM

If your oil level was off you would probably get some kind of warning light. I wouldn’t worry. Fill it to spec and ride. I only checked the level with engine off and centered. Never had an issue, never leaked.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Some of the v650 sight glass have a screen or baffle behind it.
When filling the oil level is not moving while pouring but will level up a pretty quick - it is not instant and there a delay

When the engine is running the baffle behind The sight glass traps oil and makes it look higher.

Always Always Always check you oil level in the sight glass on level ground.
Run your bike on the side stand and get it to operating temp - or aftger you stop after a ride.
Then turn off the engine and wait 2 minutes.
Now you can check your oil level by tilting your bike off the side stand so it is vertical and check the sight glass. do be careful, some people cant balance the bike like this by themselves. You can always use a fence or tree to keep the bike vertical.

If you have a rear paddock stand the this job is made soooo much easier.
Skypilot 69 and Lurch71 like this.

Last edited by Gigitt; 03-23-2018 at 07:28 AM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 10:44 AM

If I remember correctly (I'm old) my 2015 does the same thing........sight glass is full with bike running and drops to the correct level when shut off. It is backwards from the other bikes I've had with a sight glass (one Suzuki, one Honda, and three Kawasaki's). Don't worry as long as the level is correct with the engine "off". As mentioned by someone else if you weren't getting proper lubing you would know pretty quickly.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name View Post
...what happens to your bike while running, as far as the site glass goes and the bike is level?
LAST time I looked (on my '08), while running it seemed to be empty, then filled after shut-down.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 07:41 PM

Garage
The sight glass is irrelevant while the bike is running. Different engines will do different things while running. Ignore it. Only check the sight glass when the engine is stopped.
Lurch71 likes this.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post

If you have a rear paddock stand the this job is made soooo much easier.
I found that putting the bike on a paddock stand gives a false reading (low) in the sight glass. On the stand The bike is tilted forward so it is level side side but not front to back.
invader likes this.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
On my '15 I just ran it and checked the sight glass. The level was a titch lower while running than stopped, but still between the fill lines. It neither disappeared nor filled the glass. The oil was still cold if that would make a difference (but I doubt it).

I find the level is virtually unchanged when on the T-Rex rear stand compared to without the stand. Ymmv.
Duffy likes this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
On my '15 I just ran it and checked the sight glass. The level was a titch lower while running than stopped, but still between the fill lines. It neither disappeared nor filled the glass. The oil was still cold if that would make a difference (but I doubt it).

I find the level is virtually unchanged when on the T-Rex rear stand compared to without the stand. Ymmv.

I went out and did the same...........with the same results BTW. I did say my memory was bad right?
Fly-Sig likes this.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
LAST time I looked (on my '08), while running it seemed to be empty, then filled after shut-down.
On a ride yesterday I FINALLY remembered to check the sight-glass w/ the engine running.

On the side-stand the glass appears empty, but when stood UPRIGHT it's showing FULL.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode