4Likes
  • 2 Post By Duffy
  • 1 Post By tennistime99
  • 1 Post By weljo2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
New rear lift

I just bought the rear lift from Harbor Freight. It is the one that`s aluminum and has the hooks that catch the swingarm spools.I ordered the swingarm spools from my bike shop and it may be a little while before they show up. no big deal I`m not ready to use it right now. Never had a cycle that had a need for a rear lift like this. I have watched a few YouTube videos on how to use. Now my question is this. When you use yours have you ever tried to hold the bike on the kickstand side and used your right foot to push the hand to raise the rear end on the bike?

[B]Once you go PACK you never go back
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 10:41 AM

I put a piece of plywood under the kick stand (it is almost completely upright then) and carefully put the jack underneath and lift in one motion. I have the same jack and you will need to use care with the tail as it hits the jack. In fact I cut off the tail about 4" so it no longer hits.
weljo2001 and Devilsfan like this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK View Post
I just bought the rear lift from Harbor Freight. It is the one that`s aluminum and has the hooks that catch the swingarm spools.I ordered the swingarm spools from my bike shop and it may be a little while before they show up. no big deal I`m not ready to use it right now. Never had a cycle that had a need for a rear lift like this. I have watched a few YouTube videos on how to use. Now my question is this. When you use yours have you ever tried to hold the bike on the kickstand side and used your right foot to push the hand to raise the rear end on the bike?
I use a different stand but this may help:
[ul]
[li]Optionally lock the front brake, can help wheeled paddock stands move under the bike rather than push it around. I've done it with and without doing this [/li]
[li]If the stand touches your rear fender roll the back tire up onto a thin piece of wood. 1/2 inch seems to work for me [/li]
[li]Put a chunk of 2x4 under the kickstand to level the bike as much as possible[/li]
[li]Line up the stand and push the handle straight down. I use my foot sometimes when it just doesn't want to work for me[/li]
[/ul]

I lower the bike without the kickstand block since lining it up never works for me, but make sure the wood under the rear tire is lined up. This should help keep the stand from hitting your rear fender and removal of the stand easier.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Devilsfan likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I have a concrete "paver" that I slide under the side-stand, which sets the bike ALMOST level - a small amount of lean to the left - then I hold the left-side passenger grab-rail while I ENSURE that the two 'hooks' will correctly grab the two spools, then I push down on the handle to lift the bike.

Pretty easy.

(I have ALSO written "SIDESTAND DOWN?" on it, to remind me to CHECK the side-stand before I remove the 'rear lift'. I forgot ONCE, and needed help to get the bike back up!)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 02:41 PM

Garage
I've used a scrap piece of wood, paver and 2x4 under the kickstand to have it level before i lift...

IMG_0014 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_1500 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks guys, I`ve seen previous postings about a block under the kick stand and under rear wheel both of which I would likely do. I just though pushing with your foot would be easier than bending down and pushing with your hand and stronger too plus holding onto the bike with two hands to keep it from falling.

]
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Also I did see a previous post about moving the handle out further on this jack and re-drilling a couple new holes to extend the handle on it. I may do that. But like I said I haven`t got the spools yet but when I do I want to clean and lube the chain and check the play. I just turned over 300 miles on the new 2017 and I seem to have excess chain slack.

]
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Also weljo2001 , what is the cable for coming off the block of wood? I assume that is the block that you are using under the rear tire.

]
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 07:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Also weljo2001 , what is the cable for coming off the block of wood? I assume that is the block that you are using under the rear tire.
Where the kickstand attached to the bike that area got bent so the bike had a big lean when it was on the kickstand. So i hooked an eye bolt to the block of wood and attached the cable to it. So when i got on the bike and put the kickstand up i could just pull up the block of wood with the cable and store in my saddle bag.With my FJR i did something similar with a side stand plate...

quexpress likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 08:45 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
thats how i do it... and i have the exact same stand

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 08:27 AM
jpd

Garage
I have a H/F wheel chock that I use in combination with the rear stand. It holds the bike upright. The rear stand will just clear the fender with the bike upright. Be carfull letting it down, you can smack your hand on the fender. You will have more control if you do it by hand, not your foot. I am not sure how I will do it when I have to do front end maint.

Jeff

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
... I am not sure how I will do it when I have to do front end maint.
I have used two tie-downs run UP to a ceiling joist (or the attachment for the garage-door-opener), when I didn't have a front-end jack. Then when it was 'secure' I jacked the bike SLOWLY using a car-jack under the muffler, tightening the tie-downs as the bike was raised incrementally. Then 'reversed-course' to let it down.

BE CAREFUL if you try this! Here's a pic to give you an idea of what I mean. That 2x4 stand is supporting via the crash guards.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg forks off:stem stand copy.jpg (55.3 KB, 10 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode