Brake System Upgrade - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Post Brake System Upgrade

Here's a task !! My wife would like to replace the exisiting braking sytem with ABS. This after reading in Bike Magazines how people wish they had ABS before the accident. And the way she hits the brakes once in a while, I'll have to agree with her this time, even though she did a pictuire perfect rear lock one day. Slight rear swing but instantly let go and tapped brakes again, Anyway - is it possible for a tree-shade tinkerer to do this - or will she be buying a new bike.

2005 50cc scooter, 2007 GS500f, 2008 DL650 Vstrom,
I'm here for my wife's V . She lets me Farkle her Ride. No Diamonds for her, but shiney stuff for the bike is Okay
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 08:07 AM

Honest new bike, all the way. Way too much work involved in changing over. Also, the consequences of getting something wrong can be catastrophic.

For the record, it sounds like your wife just needs more practice. I've done trackdays in the rain on a 1000cc Sportbike. No ABS and no problem. Actually, you can brake very hard in the wet as long as you're straight up and down AND you give the front tire time to load up.

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 08:14 AM

I would say that it's doable, but it would not be worthwhile, or anywhere near easy. There is a lot involved. Rotors, Calipers, shock mounts, sensors, brain, wiring, pump... much better off just buying one already set up with ABS. It's not very economical to retrofit, and would likely cost a mint.

Start by getting her some really good tires.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 11:32 AM

ABS add-on

Wow, that is ambitious.
On the other hand if you have unlimited time, talent, tools and financial resources I cannot see why this would not work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 12:31 PM

I would go with the brake practice first and try lowering the brake lever, it worked wonders for me. You mentioned she let go of the rear brake during a lock up - not a good idea. Letting go during a rear tire lock up could be a recipe for a high-side. What happens is the rear-tire will suddenly come back in line and quite violently. Becareful there.

ABS is no substitute for knowing how to brake the right way. ABS should only be a last ditch safety net when we screw up the braking procedures. Because it's a sensed system - it may not come on when you are expecting it to. I had ABS on my last bike and it only came on 5 times in the 2 years I owned it with over 24k kilometers on the odo. Several of those times, I made it do it by jumping on the rear brake lever.

I'm no expert here - just your Jo Average rider. ABS is nice to have but learning to brake properly is even better.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

Next Bike

Thanks everybody !!! I thought it may involve some stuff that would be out of my reach - especially the finances. I like tinkering - but the less I do on her bike the safer for my health. I'm hoping to take her to Vegas this year maybe, the woman folk have gathering at the track and get to ride around and practice while the men either sit in the bleachers or go gambling.

2005 50cc scooter, 2007 GS500f, 2008 DL650 Vstrom,
I'm here for my wife's V . She lets me Farkle her Ride. No Diamonds for her, but shiney stuff for the bike is Okay
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
(.....snip...) ABS is nice to have but learning to brake properly is even better.

Bingo. The motorcycle and automotive industry has spent so much time and effort into making the vehicles safer, that they have, in essence, taken the skill away from the operator. For how many years did our fathers and grandfathers ride without ABS, cruise control, heated this or that? They did just fine. Look at traction control in road racing...didn't that used to be called modulating the power deliver via the clutch? Slipper clutch for backshifting? Same thing. ABS? Same concept, different levers. I'd rather work on my own skills than relying on the bike to make corrections for me. Now I'm not saying I won't ever buy a bike with ABS, traction control, or a slipper clutch. I'm saying that my hands and my feet should be able to modulate said levers to do what's needed. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to find a KZ1000 to turn into a bobber without anything fancy.

Flame if you want, I'm just not a fan of taking away the rider's skill.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Vesa View Post
Bingo. The motorcycle and automotive industry has spent so much time and effort into making the vehicles safer, that they have, in essence, taken the skill away from the operator. For how many years did our fathers and grandfathers ride without ABS, cruise control, heated this or that? They did just fine. Look at traction control in road racing...didn't that used to be called modulating the power deliver via the clutch? Slipper clutch for backshifting? Same thing. ABS? Same concept, different levers. I'd rather work on my own skills than relying on the bike to make corrections for me. Now I'm not saying I won't ever buy a bike with ABS, traction control, or a slipper clutch. I'm saying that my hands and my feet should be able to modulate said levers to do what's needed. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to find a KZ1000 to turn into a bobber without anything fancy.

Flame if you want, I'm just not a fan of taking away the rider's skill.
I have to agree. I would hate to see what happens when somebody who has only ridden one of the new slipper clutch, traction control, ABS equipped bikes hops onto something without all that stuff.........or maybe I'm just a cranky old guy that resists change...........nah!

Dave

2008 Versys, 2008 ZX6R, 2006 EX500, 2002 KLR650
2010 KTM 300XCW, 2007 KTM 200XC, 2006 KTM 200 XC,
2004 CRF250X, 2002 CRF150
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 08:32 AM

I am pretty new to riding (June 2008) and I have to agree. If you don't have to learn the skill you won't. I am still learning proper braking (and hope I do soon), but I never would if I had bike with ABS. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to have ABS, but I think I need to learn proper riding skills first.

I also have a question. I have already upgraded to stainless steel brake lines, but has anyone upgraded the pads and noticed any improvement in the braking?

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

Last edited by sharrison56; 11-25-2008 at 08:35 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 02:03 PM

Yea I have to go with the breaking practice, practice, practice.

Any nuckle head can twist a throttle but not everyone can break properly. It should be practiced often, at ALL SPEEDS YOU RIDE. If you like riding at 90 mph you should practice full panic stops at that speed in a safe area.
It's like a golf swing, you always work on it and tweak it to make it better, and you should, every time you ride.

What you do in a panic situation is what you do in practice. You ride like you practice how to ride. Try to "wire in" the correct breaking reaction/form to your nervous system through repetition, then you'll have it when you need it.

Also cover the front breaks with your index and middle fingers while you ride to cut reaction time.

That's my 2 cents. pmac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode