Today seemed like a good time, so at 9AM I began the job. The S-W crash bars went on about a year and a half ago, and except for the increase in PERCEIVED vibrations seemed to work OK.
I ordered the skid plate to go WITH the S-W crash bars, so first order of business was to confirm that ALL the parts and instructions were here. Check.
Now - read the instructions to see what to do. NOT so easy.
Kind of like reading Japanese instructions... read 'em three times, scratch your head, then read 'em again holding the paper up to the light in case there are "secret inscriptions", but, FINALLY I felt 'up to the task'.
Oh - not written anywhere, but you have to remove ALL the plastic fairings, lower (of course...!), upper by the tank AND windshield (hm-m-m - OK), and mid-level (front signals). I can handle THAT! Oh - yes - remove the metal parts the lower fairings attach to.... I can do THAT too.
Looks as if the crash bars have to be ALMOST removed.... OK - done. Now you need to exchange the left FRONT, top, mounting bolt and spacer; re-use the right FRONT top bolt with a DIFFERENT spacer; and then re-use the lower LONG rear through-bolt with DIFFERENT spacers.
Boy, this is a buggar!!!
Because I use LOTS of WD40 (and ride dirt) the whole area in front of the countershaft sprocket is mucky, and there's very little room to: drive the bolt through from the right; add a 31mm spacer, then the skid plate mount, ANOTHER spacer (25mm), into an area that seems smaller than my fingers can utilize; and then add the crash bar, then the nut.
Probably wasted half an hour, then had a "EUREKA" moment! REVERSE the bolt so the nut ends up on the RIGHT...! NOW there was room for my fingers to get the spacer onto the threads, followed by the skid plate mount and the... you get the picture. Worked like a damn THAT way, and not nearly as mucky!
Now to add the skid plate, kind of a large basket to go under the engine (took only a few minutes) held by 8 bolts and nuts. Tighten those, then torque the other 3 mounts (upper left and right, lower), and, except for re-installing the plastics, you're done!
It looks GOOD, and hopefully will protect the oil-pan and filter from rocks off the front tire.
From start-to-finish the job took me 4 hours, but I tend to be 'anal' (blue Loctite, etc), so I don't really have problems as long as it gets done, and it DID!
When I finished I took a picture of the parts that are left over when changing from just crash bars to skid plate and crash bars. The instructions COULD be a bit clearer, but that's why I took the time to post this thread. Hope it is useful to someone out there, so you WON'T have to work it all out on your own....
When it was done I 'suited-up' and went for a 40 minute ride. This is "seat-of-the-pants", but I feel certain that the vibrations are reduced, whether from the skid plate or that now the crash bars are somehow tightened differently. Can't say.