Installing the S-W 'skid plate' on S-W 'crash bars'... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Installing the S-W 'skid plate' on S-W 'crash bars'...

Today seemed like a good time, so at 9AM I began the job. The S-W crash bars went on about a year and a half ago, and except for the increase in PERCEIVED vibrations seemed to work OK.

I ordered the skid plate to go WITH the S-W crash bars, so first order of business was to confirm that ALL the parts and instructions were here. Check.

Now - read the instructions to see what to do. NOT so easy. Kind of like reading Japanese instructions... read 'em three times, scratch your head, then read 'em again holding the paper up to the light in case there are "secret inscriptions", but, FINALLY I felt 'up to the task'.

Oh - not written anywhere, but you have to remove ALL the plastic fairings, lower (of course...!), upper by the tank AND windshield (hm-m-m - OK), and mid-level (front signals). I can handle THAT! Oh - yes - remove the metal parts the lower fairings attach to.... I can do THAT too.

Looks as if the crash bars have to be ALMOST removed.... OK - done. Now you need to exchange the left FRONT, top, mounting bolt and spacer; re-use the right FRONT top bolt with a DIFFERENT spacer; and then re-use the lower LONG rear through-bolt with DIFFERENT spacers.

Boy, this is a buggar!!! Because I use LOTS of WD40 (and ride dirt) the whole area in front of the countershaft sprocket is mucky, and there's very little room to: drive the bolt through from the right; add a 31mm spacer, then the skid plate mount, ANOTHER spacer (25mm), into an area that seems smaller than my fingers can utilize; and then add the crash bar, then the nut.

Probably wasted half an hour, then had a "EUREKA" moment! REVERSE the bolt so the nut ends up on the RIGHT...! NOW there was room for my fingers to get the spacer onto the threads, followed by the skid plate mount and the... you get the picture. Worked like a damn THAT way, and not nearly as mucky!

Now to add the skid plate, kind of a large basket to go under the engine (took only a few minutes) held by 8 bolts and nuts. Tighten those, then torque the other 3 mounts (upper left and right, lower), and, except for re-installing the plastics, you're done! It looks GOOD, and hopefully will protect the oil-pan and filter from rocks off the front tire.

From start-to-finish the job took me 4 hours, but I tend to be 'anal' (blue Loctite, etc), so I don't really have problems as long as it gets done, and it DID!

When I finished I took a picture of the parts that are left over when changing from just crash bars to skid plate and crash bars. The instructions COULD be a bit clearer, but that's why I took the time to post this thread. Hope it is useful to someone out there, so you WON'T have to work it all out on your own....

When it was done I 'suited-up' and went for a 40 minute ride. This is "seat-of-the-pants", but I feel certain that the vibrations are reduced, whether from the skid plate or that now the crash bars are somehow tightened differently. Can't say.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-plastic missing.jpg (79.3 KB, 573 views)
File Type: jpg 2-plastic missing.jpg (82.5 KB, 553 views)
File Type: jpg 3-more plastic missing.jpg (86.9 KB, 538 views)
File Type: jpg 4-lt top mount.jpg (57.3 KB, 528 views)
File Type: jpg 5-rt top mount.jpg (68.4 KB, 519 views)
File Type: jpg 6-lt lower mounts gone.jpg (72.8 KB, 497 views)
File Type: jpg 7-lt front mounts gone.jpg (58.8 KB, 484 views)
File Type: jpg 8-rt upper mounts gone.jpg (56.7 KB, 481 views)
File Type: jpg 9-rt lower mounts gone.jpg (65.8 KB, 468 views)
File Type: jpg 10-rt rr skid mount.jpg (82.7 KB, 503 views)
File Type: jpg 11-lt rr mount revrsd.jpg (46.2 KB, 468 views)
File Type: jpg 12-lt rr nut on.jpg (57.2 KB, 495 views)
File Type: jpg 13-lt skid plate.jpg (55.1 KB, 557 views)
File Type: jpg 14-skid plate lt.jpg (82.5 KB, 638 views)
File Type: jpg 15-leftover stuff.jpg (53.8 KB, 469 views)
File Type: jpg 16-completed.jpg (90.7 KB, 570 views)
File Type: jpg 17-completed.jpg (66.4 KB, 548 views)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Patience and persistence win out every time - well, almost every time.

However, perhaps step number one should have read, "Disassemble motorcycle."

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the good write up! I've been thinking about buying these for a while now. I assume the 2010- installation will be similar. End result looks very good though!

2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 - 20,500 miles
2000 Volvo V70XC 2.4T - 258,000 miles

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 09:23 AM

I have found SW Motech makes good stuff BUT boy do the manuals bite!

Good job on your write up (and not kicking things and pounding a six pack!)

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 09:59 AM

I thought you were kidding about all the work until I saw the pictures. I guess it would be better than a broken case but not so sure I want that skid plate afterall now.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
I have found SW Motech makes good stuff BUT boy do the manuals bite!

Good job on your write up (and not kicking things and pounding a six pack!)
If you recall - I DIDN'T say what I did AFTER the 'test-ride'.... It MAY have involved pounding-a-few back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenr74 View Post
I thought you were kidding about all the work until I saw the pictures. I guess it would be better than a broken case but not so sure I want that skid plate afterall now.
I consider it a positive experience. I like the skid-plate, and when I get back to AZ will buy one for BIG RED.

Someone posted that you could remove SOME of those 8 bolts/ nuts and just 'swivel' it out of the way to change oil. I don't see how, but I figure that removing all 8, the skid, then re-installing when you're done will add maybe 10 minutes. That's MY plan.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 01:56 AM

Thanks for the write up. The end result looks great
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 06:52 AM

Garage
Great Post, moving on to the commitment and an placing order for the crash bars and bash plate. Still the bash plate seems as though it could be more, but for now from your post it proves to have eliminated any use of the supports on the oil box/pan, just a little more beefy\;}
I'll post after they arrive and I've had that hands on it, oh and I'll keep an eye out for the development from the engineers out of Salem OR.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 10:04 AM

Thanks for the write-up, I'll be doing exactly this soon.

I'd rather be riding.
2005 Triumph Speed Triple | 2009 Blue Versys
1997 Suzuki DR350SE (sold) | 2004 Triumph Speed Four (sold) | 2008 ZX6R (sold) | 2008 Concours 14 (sold) | 2007 Suzuki M50 (sold) | 2006 Ninja 500 (sold)

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I already mentioned - "vibrations" are WAY-Y-Y down.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 11:32 PM

My plate just arrived today. Thanks once again for the write up. I am sure it will help me do the install - especially after 3 hours when at least I will know it is not just me!
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 09:08 AM

I got my local shop to fit my skidplate, about a year after they fitted the bars. Took them about an hour, and cost about 50usd. And I think the skidplate saved my oil filter in AK this year, so definitely worth the money.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 10:33 AM

I know this is an old thread, but it really helped me yesterday and I wanted to thank you. I bought the crash bars and skid plate used and I was having the same issues you did with getting all the spacers in the right locations for proper alignment. After getting frustrated I searched the site for help and found your thread. Your detailed pictures and the suggestion to switch the long bolt from left to right was most helpful. Once I got the long bolt switched and using your pictures to get the spacers started correctly it all started falling into place.

Thank You!!!!
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Glad to be of service, Mark. I've now done both my Vs with S-W skid and crash protection, and reversing THAT bolt makes it ALMOST enjoyable....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 11:49 PM

hey, eddie, just opened the box from twisted throttle with the skidplate, its kind of funny, when I first looked at the directions and all the parts, I was ready to pitch them in a corner somewhere, and say to hell with it. I just put the crashbars on a few days ago which does complicate things a little, but after looking at your photos and studying the drawings in the directions for a little while, I feel pretty confident I can handle it without getting too irritated.thanks for posting the info and the photos----dale
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Dale - , and post once they're installed.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Dale - , and post once they're installed.
just need to tighten up all the bolts and I will be done. had to stop right in the middle of the job to watch game 6 of the w.s. I didn't have to remove any of the upper fairings. just one allen head screw on each side so I could push the plastic out of the way for my socket on the upper front mounts. I notice there is several inches of movement while its still loose (forward or backward) looking at your photos, it looks like you have yours moved all the way back. or close to it.----
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skidplate photos 004.jpg (74.5 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg skidplate photos 009.jpg (78.5 KB, 129 views)
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Dale - I THOUGHT that was MY '08......
...then realized MINE hasn't been THAT clean since I bought it!!!

GLAD it worked out for you.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Dale - I THOUGHT that was MY '08......
...then realized MINE hasn't been THAT clean since I bought it!!!

GLAD it worked out for you.
I hope to get a little dirt on mine one of these days,ive probably logged a good 3 to 4 hours riding it and maybe twice that much time adding parts to it.ive had it about a month.
I see you spend some time in az.wish me and this bike were out there now. I was raised in Tucson lived there till I was 26. my sister and br. in law left no. michigan. today to spend the winter in lake havasu az.---------
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspark52 View Post
...I see you spend some time in az.wish me and this bike were out there now....
Yup - BC is nice, but AZ is my "high-point" in ANY year!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode