Does the fork "use all its travel" or not? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Does the fork "use all its travel" or not?

I've got a 54mm dirty part at the bottom of my lower fork legs that never gets used. And several mm more that look like they haven't been used in a long time.

When I took my fork to a suspension guy to get a custom shim stack, he told me that the fork bottoms out right there, and the dirty part of the fork leg is unusable. He determined that when he was inside the fork--he hadn't done a Versys fork before.

Recently I had a race mechanic do some other service on my bike. He warned me about the dirty spot telling me I wasn't getting close to full travel. When I told him what the suspension guy told me, he was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt based on his reputation, but he hadn't seen anything like it before. And like me he was thinking of asking around.

So what's the real story here? Does the fork bottom out with 54mm of the lower leg exposed? How much of the lower leg shows when the fork is bottomed out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
I've got a 54mm dirty part at the bottom of my lower fork legs that never gets used. And several mm more that look like they haven't been used in a long time.

When I took my fork to a suspension guy to get a custom shim stack, he told me that the fork bottoms out right there, and the dirty part of the fork leg is unusable. He determined that when he was inside the fork--he hadn't done a Versys fork before.

Recently I had a race mechanic do some other service on my bike. He warned me about the dirty spot telling me I wasn't getting close to full travel. When I told him what the suspension guy told me, he was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt based on his reputation, but he hadn't seen anything like it before. And like me he was thinking of asking around.

So what's the real story here? Does the fork bottom out with 54mm of the lower leg exposed? How much of the lower leg shows when the fork is bottomed out?
One trick is to put a plastic wire tie around one of the front fork tubes and push it up to the fork seal. You can use this to monitor max suspension travel on a ride. Suspect most of the travel is used during hard braking.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
One trick is to put a plastic wire tie around one of the front fork tubes and push it up to the fork seal. You can use this to monitor max suspension travel on a ride. Suspect most of the travel is used during hard braking.
I have one on there. Whether I'm going by the dirt or the cable tie though, there's 54mm of the lower leg that has never been used on my bike, and I'm wondering if it's useable.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I get just over 6" of fork travel when they do bottom out.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=18133
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 11:52 PM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 01:11 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
I get just over 6" of fork travel when they do bottom out.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=18133
Interesting mod, thanks!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
If you're not too heavy, you will probably ONLY get full travel if you're extremely aggressive, or hit BIG potholes FAST!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 02:33 PM

I have the preload with only 1 turn from 0 and I still get pretty far from bottoming it out. I only weight 60 kg
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusG View Post
I have the preload with only 1 turn from 0 and I still get pretty far from bottoming it out. I only weight 60 kg
1. Do you actually know where in the travel bottoming out occurs?
2. Why do you have any preload at all?

I know there are people who've determined the answer to my question while working on their fork, and I hoped someone might say. From looking at the extended travel thread it appears that if it isn't bottomed out with 54mm showing, it's getting close.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode