Burning rubber smell, coolant bubbling...have to ride to work in 30 min! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Burning rubber smell, coolant bubbling...have to ride to work in 30 min!

Alright guys....need to leave in 30 min or less for work on the V

Last night and today, when I pulled up to my house...had the smell of burning rubber. Seems to be coming from the front sprocket area of area in front of that....search tells me maybe chain lube emitting a smell, but will it smell like burning rubber? No smoke or anything.

Coolant, been bubbling going into the overflow. A search tells me to replace the radiator cap, but I cant do this until tuesday. Is it safe to ride until then?

Lastly, I am super paranoid- how can I be certain its okay to ride without taking it to a shop?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 12:23 PM

Check to make sure fan rotates freely - gravel or debris can stick between fan and radiator, bouncing in there from off the front of the engine. Move it with your hand and see if it turns freely. If you unstick it, then make sure fan still runs - it can burn out if stuck in the same position. (Lesson learned by me the hard way.)

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 01:02 PM

Lube chain with a spray lately? Used to get a god awful smell if I hit the exhaust by accident while applying 3m Chainsaver...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 05:39 PM

Garage
It is too late for your ride today, but you may just need to clean your radiator cap. It solved my problem. I rode with the "burbling" coolant for a week or so and it does not seem to have damaged my bike, but then again maybe it did and the effects of the damage are not apparent. I do have over 10,000 miles on the bike since then.

The burning rubber smell? I have no ideas.

When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 06:09 PM

When I bought my bike yesterday I noticed an burning smell. When I got home I noticed the exhaust that was covered in chain grease. I used chain cleaner to clean it all up, let it dry, went for a ride and smell was gone. That exhaust is so close to the chain...can't wait to put an aftermarket one on it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Coolant thing seems to have been resolved....

I think the burning smell is from my street. I didnt even think of it but there in the process of resurfacing it. A glob of tar fell off from under the bike in my garage and the smell is still occuring very strong. No smoke and all fluid levels good

Thats me best guess. But i wont accept that...im afraid something is wrong. Im just gonna not ride for now. I cant afford a break down when my truck needs 1600 $ in repairs before i have a vehicle again. Sigh....
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 11:05 AM

Maybe I'm Old school ?!

But bikes are a lot tougher than you think. Yes, you should be on top of your maintenance and most likely you won't have issues if you are. Don't drop the ball there..but maybe I'm just old school.. a rattle here, clank here, smell there doesn't worry me like some others I guess. I use to be a worry wart.. then an old timer told me.... "did you bike the bike to just look good or to ride the "h - e - double-hockey-stick" out of it, their designed to ride!"

Since that talking too.. I've put 12,000+ on my V with out a single issue or a single worry. Just keep my maintenance up, keep things clean, gearing lubed and replace when needed and all is good.

I would ride it bubbling radiator and tire smell.. that just reminds me I gave her a good riddin'! So time for more

08' Yamaha WR250R
08' Kawasaki Versys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode