Caution when removing tank - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Exclamation Caution when removing tank

Posting this as a tale of caution to others to disconnect the fuel hose when removing the tank.

I removed my tank to replace the plugs and sat it sideways on the frame behind the air box. While it did not slip or fall the spigot that extends from the fuel pump broke off from slight tension on the fuel line. Unfortunately the spigot, which is probably a $1 piece of plastic, cannot be purchased separately from the entire fuel pump assembly which is over $100 used.

To repair it I decided to to try plastic welding after watching a few youtube videos on this. I don't think glue or epoxy would work for this as there is a lot of force applied to this. Here's what I did.
  1. Created brace out of a straitened piece of coat hanger and then wrapped it in metal foil to increase it's outside diameter to match that of the inside of the spigot (figure 2). This was slipped inside the spigot, it fit tight, and fuel pump to hold the spigot in place across the break while it was repaired. It also servers to prevent the plastic welding from causing a blockage in fuel flow.
  2. Melted the two pieces together then used a spare piece of ABS plastic to build it up so the walls of the spigot are now thicker than before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before2.jpg (19.4 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg brace.jpg (47.1 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg finished.jpg (19.8 KB, 244 views)

Last edited by twowheels; 09-12-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tough lesson, but glad you McGyvered it back together successfully. For a street bike, I think the Versys is very easy to work on. The parts are designed to be disassembled, and since so many maintenance tasks require the removal of the gas tank, it's something that's worth becoming proficient at doing, IMO.

The fuel spigot can also be repaired by inserting a small brass tube inside the spigot and JB welding the plastic outside. At least a couple of guys have done it and posted up with pictures.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 04:08 PM

Garage
I am now going to do what I can to disconnect the tank from the bike instead of leaving it supported and out of the way. I did not figure out the connector for the fuel line the last time I tried, but I now have more motivation.

When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon

Last edited by Mursili; 09-13-2012 at 05:33 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 04:25 PM

Garage
This has been posted before with good fix action I believe. Search for "flaming crotch" to find it.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
My fix was not strong enough to withstand the fair amount of pressure that needs to be applied to slip on the fuel line. May be forced to purchase a new pump. Going to try this next. Does anyone know where to look for brass tubing?

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=16462
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
My fix was not strong enough to withstand the fair amount of pressure that needs to be applied to slip on the fuel line. May be forced to purchase a new pump. Going to try this next. Does anyone know where to look for brass tubing?

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=16462
Go to a shop that sells model airplanes - radio controlled ones.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Installed the new pump this evening. The gas line slid effortlessly on the new pump's spigot. On the old repaired pump I needed to apply 20+ lbs of force to do this which kept breaking my plastic weld repair to the spigot. Looking a both pumps side by side, it appears heating the spigot on the pump to weld it caused the spigot to expand slightly which resulted in the connection issue. From this experience I would advise against anyone trying plastic welding or heating the spigot to repair it like I did. In hindsight I should have tried something like Plastex instead.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Now that you replaced it, I suggest you keep the old one, and try to repair the line with the "brass fuel line-inserted method". You've NOTHING to lose, and that way you'll have a spare to keep or sell.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
fuel pump, fuel tank, plastic welding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode