tires make a real difference - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
tires make a real difference

Purchased a new versys and it felt like the front was always loose or pushing. After reading a review on tires for the versys I purchased the pirelli corsa mt60 for the front and rear. It makes the versys feel like a completely different bike. It feels much more solid and the front end feels stable. It is truly worth the money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 05:59 AM

I think you'll find most folk who have changed tyres will agree. I put on a set of Bridgestone BT021's and it was a different machine!

Dave
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 08:12 AM

Yip.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 06:24 PM

Yeah I can't wait to get through my stockers! I have over 6k on the bike and they still have a bit of life in em! And I've been broke as of late so I can't justify not using them through...
but when they are finally dead, I think I'm gonna try out the avon distanzias, unless you guys can recommend something better in the same class of tires.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 07:45 PM

My rear stocker is starting to show a strip of a different rubber. Should I replace them now or do I have a way to go before getting through that rubber. I may just go ahead and replace them because I really don't like them.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 09:23 PM

Tires are everything. I had a buddy who worked in a dealership and he cringed everytime somebody asked for the cheapest tires they had.

Buying premium tires is the easiest way to improve your motorcycle.

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
My rear stocker is starting to show a strip of a different rubber. Should I replace them now or do I have a way to go before getting through that rubber. I may just go ahead and replace them because I really don't like them.
Sharrison, I would replace em dude. Your bike is gonna handle soooo much better with new rubber. I got a set of Bridgestone BT-016's (dual compound, high performance sport tire) about a month ago although I had plenty of tread left on the stockers. The stock tires (Dunlop D220) are pretty much just plain tires, round and rubber w/no advanced technology. With the new tires on the market now, especially the dual compounds, you'll experience major improvement in feel, handling and stability, especially in the curvy stuff.

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 01:04 AM

I am loving my new Avon Storms. Beautiful tire. Very confidence inspiring in all conditions.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antman325 View Post
Sharrison, I would replace em dude. Your bike is gonna handle soooo much better with new rubber. I got a set of Bridgestone BT-016's (dual compound, high performance sport tire) about a month ago although I had plenty of tread left on the stockers. The stock tires (Dunlop D220) are pretty much just plain tires, round and rubber w/no advanced technology. With the new tires on the market now, especially the dual compounds, you'll experience major improvement in feel, handling and stability, especially in the curvy stuff.
Thanks! We need to meet for another ride when I have some good tires.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!

Now I have four!

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

replace or not

Replace them immediately if you can. My stock tires only had 23 miles on them when I put the corsa mt60s on. The stockers made the bike feel unstable. You'll love the change.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 04:28 PM

I'm saving up for some heated gear. After that, I'm there!

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 08:44 AM

Has anybody out there tried out the Dunlop Roadsmart's?

post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 10:01 AM

roadsmart - works fine

I experienced a high speed puncture with my original rear tire last summer. I replaced the stock tire with a dual compound Dunlap RoadSmart tire. It works fine for me. I maybe have about 800 miles on it, no problems. I went for my last ride of the year yesterday. It even grips well on 38 degree heavily salted asphalt!

Trialsguy
(Wisconsin)
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Has anybody out there tried out the Dunlop Roadsmart's?
I heard the Dunlop Roadsmarts are incredible tires. A lady that works at Cycle Gear here in Atlanta swears by them. She has about 20 years seat time on both street and track. I will be purchasing them next time around I think. Here's a link to a great site for product reviews by guys who actually ride. Check it out.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antman325 View Post
I'm saving up for some heated gear. After that, I'm there!
Maybe we will get one of those signature warm Georgia winter weekends soon and we can meet moutainrider (and anyone else) for a ride.

Steve

Now I have four!

post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 12:06 AM

I sure hope so cause I'm a total wuss when it comes to the cold!

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 10:11 PM

I purchased the Metzler Z6 Roadtec tires front and back. Man what a difference. Going through long sweeping turns I feel like I am strapped to a rocket. Man talk about grip. When they get wet they actually stick a little better. Dual compound is awesome!
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornrider View Post
Man talk about grip. When they get wet they actually stick a little better. Dual compound is awesome!
They don't. I would be very careful if I was you.

Gustavo
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 12:03 PM

Gustavo, sounds like experience talking there? Is there a story behind it???
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckthebushman View Post
Gustavo, sounds like experience talking there? Is there a story behind it???
I live in the PNWet. If you don't ride in the rain, you have a 2, maybe 3, month long riding season. Gives you a lot of opportunity to ride and race in wet conditions. First thing you find out is that there really is better traction on wet roads than most people think. The second is that it's so unpredictable, because every turn is different when it's wet (they are when it's dry too, but the variation in traction is not as great), turns that look the same can't always be taken at the same speeds. You can come of a turn railing like it was dry only to loose the front and/or rear as soon as you start leaning into the next one or get on the gas. BTDT, have the dirty shorts to prove it.

On the race track it's easy to manage, you remember which turns have the reduced traction and don't push that hard. On the street, where every corner is new every time you ride it, pushing as hard as in dry conditions is recipe for crashing. And I really don't like crashing.

Gustavo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode