In the words of the Starks, winter is coming. And therefore I'm installing heated grips on my versys. But it seems getting the electrical wiring done is beyond my capacity.
I bought the Symtec Motorcycle Grip Heater Kit w/round rocker switch. The rocker switch really integrates well with the versys dash. Got the heating elements installed under my grips.
Wiring is to the grips from the rocker, and is all squared away. Each grip has a ground wire, and a high and low power wire. The center pin on the rocker is 12V power in, the top and bottom pins are low and high power wires to the grips, respectively. Good. Set up according to instructions.
Now, where I deviate from the instructions is by installing a relay between 12V power in on the rocker switch and the battery. I stop at the auto parts store for a relay. Sweet. Pick one up, supposed to be a 12V automotive relay.
I wire the relay as follows:
+12V directly from battery terminal: Pin 30
Power to grips: Pin 87
Ground (directly to negative terminal on battery): Pin 85
Switch 'Trigger': Pin 86
I wired the trigger source to the low beam headlight. I don't want the grips on unless the bike is running.
I started the engine, with the heated grips switch in the off position. Pulled out my multimeter to check the inputs and outputs of the relay.
Measured the following:
Switch trigger & ground: ~14 V (good, because the headlight is on)
Power to grips & ground: ~14 V (good, because the grips are not on yet)
+12V input & Power out to grips: ~ 0 V (ok, good, the relay has a slight voltage drop but the switch has been triggered!)
Now, I flip the switch to turn on the heated grips and test them out. Kapow! Headlight dims momentarily, I hear a little pop, and then the bike continues to run as usual. But the grips aren't warming up. And I may not understand electronics that well, but I understand them well enough to know that when they make noises, something is wrong!
Shut off the bike, and found that the relay +12V input had melted on the inside, disconnecting the power to the grips.
Now I did some investigative work. Busted out the multimeter again. This time I measured the resistance of the grips on their high and low settings. Looks like the low setting has a resistance of ~95 ohms, and the high setting ~90 ohms. According to ohms law, at 14 volts that's only 0.16 amps. And a power flowing through the grips of about 2.24 watts. Now I'm getting suspicious.
That little power would do nothing to the headlights. For that matter, why did the headlights dim at all? I was only drawing power from the battery. The headlights were only for switching the relay on and off. Unless I was drawing orders of magnitude more current than I calculated and was really drawing the battery, the headlight shouldn't go dark like that.
What do you think? Beefier relay that can handle the power (I know this is not the answer, something I did is wrong...)? Or can you spot a mistake in the wiring? Pictures soon.
Also, I know I have been a bad electrician (I'm not an electrician). I should be using a fuse. I was gonna do that later...