• 1 Post By Fastoman
  • 1 Post By Fastoman
  • 1 Post By invader
  • 2 Post By Fastoman
  • 2 Post By invader

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Check your thermostat...

Now and then people are making fun of us because they think that we are farkling our Vs too much. Many of you have probably heard : “-This is of no use, you don’t need this and you don’t need that…” To those giving such “advices” I would like to tell the following little story.
I have a whole lot of extras on my V, including a digital temperature gauge (the brand is TTO) which has its sensor mounted on the hose close to the thermostat housing.
During the last year, maybe the two last years, I have noticed that the coolant temperature could go up to about 115 degrees C before the cooling fan kicked in, but I never got a warning light for high temperature so I thought it's only the temperature gauge that was somewhat off.
Anyhow, when I did winter maintenance, which this time included valve clearance check and replacement of coolant, I got the idea that I should remove the thermostat and check it.
It did not open, no matter how long I boiled it! I could not even force it open when the water was 100 degrees C.
The coolant had only circulated through the tiny hole in the thermostat, maybe the engine vibrations had got it open sometimes, I do not know.
Now with new thermostat, the cooling fan starts at about 105 degrees as before. This is thanks to my digital temperature gauge, without it I would probably not have noticed that something was wrong until one extremely hot summer day when it could have been too late…
The thermostat is easy to check - do it sometimes!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New and old T.jpg (35.8 KB, 122 views)

Anders B.
Sweden

Last edited by anders55; 02-14-2018 at 03:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 04:57 PM

Garage
Good call, anders55! The thermostat is an easy one to overlook, escpecially on this bike. Check out the "Thermot-Bob." Relocates the thermostat as well as adding an actual bypass to increase cooling efficiency. It also made my V run significantly better. Totally worth the "farkle-money!"

Thermo-Bob
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Engine Temperature Monitoring System
Check it out and it a stand along system. You can set the fan to switch ON at any desired temperature. I have on the Versys and have no whatsoever temp problem. I set Cooling Fan activation at above 85C. So when the temp cross 85C the fan switch on.
anders55 likes this.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 07:07 AM

Where's the temp sensor? Is it on the wrong side of that thermostat?

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Engine Temperature Monitoring System
Check it out and it a stand along system. You can set the fan to switch ON at any desired temperature. I have on the Versys and have no whatsoever temp problem. I set Cooling Fan activation at above 85C. So when the temp cross 85C the fan switch on.
Can you post a link as to the source and price, most devices available to me 2 years ago were around $120 for 12 volt system that was programable, at the right price I would go with that, as I have a T Bob installed but in stop and go traffic it goes through the 190 to 214 which is when the fan comes on, shuts off at 210,. The second thing was all the cheap ones would need to be installed inside a waterproof box.

Last edited by onewizard; 02-16-2018 at 10:17 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmost View Post
Where's the temp sensor? Is it on the wrong side of that thermostat?
What do you mean by "...the wrong side..."?
The stock water temp sensor is located below the TBs, on the rear side of the cylinder bank. The sensor I installed for the temp gauge is on "the other side" of the thermostat, on the upper hose/inlet to the radiator.

Anders B.
Sweden
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Can you post a link as to the source and price, most devices available to me 2 years ago were around $120 for 12 volt system that was programable, at the right price I would go with that, as I have a T Bob installed but in stop and go traffic it goes through the 190 to 214 which is when the fan comes on, shuts off at 210,. The second thing was all the cheap ones would need to be installed inside a waterproof box.

Online Store - Free Shipping

The price is at USD139.00 ( paypal)
onewizard likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

check the gallery on the site and there is a Video clip of the engine Guard.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anders55 View Post
What do you mean by "...the wrong side..."?
The stock water temp sensor is located below the TBs, on the rear side of the cylinder bank. The sensor I installed for the temp gauge is on "the other side" of the thermostat, on the upper hose/inlet to the radiator.
The temperature sensor for your gauge is downstream of the thermostat where coolant flows out of engine freely when thermostat is open... It can be tapped into the thermostat housing, closer to heat source.

I actually replaced my thermostat with a Stant SuperStat modified to fit, and with a 10% smaller bypass hole.

Quote:
Engine Temp motoring system:

the display:

The heat pick up sensor:

The Module;

You can set the fan kick in temp at provided range in the module. Original fan kick in temp is set at 102C. I set fan to kick in at 90c. Now my V runs coolllllllllllll.

Hope it helps.

on your trip.
anders55 likes this.

Last edited by invader; 02-25-2018 at 06:49 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks a million Invader for the pictures on the Mod.
invader and onewizard like this.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

Cheap Programmable T Stat

No urgency here, but if someone finds a cheap controller with a relay output and a RTD sensor , under $100 I would be interested, no handlebar display required, I would mount it either in the front with the other relays or under the seat.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 04:54 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to NightRider
Quote:
Online Store - Free Shipping

The price is at USD139.00 ( paypal)
What's the relay kit for? Together with the Engine Guardian it's $159.

Setup Progress ----------- 83%
Add a custom signature
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
The temperature sensor for your gauge is downstream of the thermostat where coolant flows out of engine only when thermostat is open... It can be tapped into the thermostat housing, closer to heat source.
The coolant is obviously flowing quite well when the thermostat is closed. As I stated above I have ridden the bike for about a year or longer with a closed (stuck) non-functional thermostat and never noticed any overheating. The by pass hole seems to be large enough to let my sensor feel the actual coolant temp, but the coolant system is of course not working as it should. That's why I noticed the strange behaviour. It's going to be really interesting to read what the temperature gauge shows this coming season, to see if there is any change with the new thermostat.

Anders B.
Sweden
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 04:04 PM

Yes the thermostat bypass hole is 3mm in diameter. Cooling system on Versys 650 has no radiator bypass (ThermoBob), and coolant always flows through thermostat's bypass as it should in its simplified system.

The thermostat body (cover) 0-ring should be replaced too when servicing the thermostat, as it tends to shrink and harden from all the heat. I was able to match one at local hydraulics supply shop.

O-ring: 44.7mm X 2.4mm

Kawasaki part # 92055-1279

https://www.partshark.com/oemparts/a...6aa/water-pipe
Fastoman and silviefox like this.

Last edited by invader; 02-25-2018 at 04:17 PM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRider View Post
What's the relay kit for? Together with the Engine Guardian it's $159.
Relay kit for original cooling fan override....its optional and not necessary..
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post

The thermostat body (cover) 0-ring should be replaced too when servicing the thermostat, as it tends to shrink and harden from all the heat. I was able to match one at local hydraulics supply shop.[/url]
Invader, you are extremely right - as usual!
I tried to take a shortcut - did not replace the o-ring. And found coolant seeping from there...
I had to wait 14 days for the thermostat to arrive (ordered from a authorised Kawasaki dealer here in Sweden) which is outrageous. I did not want to bother them again so I cheated again and used some RTV. It seems to have stopped leaking, if it continues I will get a new o-ring from ebay or similar source like you did...

Anders B.
Sweden

Last edited by anders55; 02-26-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode