LED license plate issue - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

LED license plate issue

I bought a LED license plate holder back in November 2017. It came with no instructions. It has a red,white, and black wire. After reading on the web, I was told that I only needed to use the red and black wires and to use the blue and black wires under the seat within the wiring bundle. I connected the blue to red and black to black and it worked. I didn't connect the white to anything. It worked until last week but because of weather I had only ridden my bike three times since November. Last week when I started the bike only half of the LED strip illuminated. It is a sealed unit. Am I just having some bad luck or did I do something wrong? Should I do something different? All of my connections were good and tight. I tested it to the battery direct and only half still works. Should I just buy another one and hope for better luck out of another one?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 11:54 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
my guess would be that half the strip burnt up (ive had a few cheap LED strips do that) you can try unhooking the wires and hooking them directly to the battery to test it, im guessing the black is ground red is running light and white is brake light

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 03:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by captpfd View Post
I bought a LED license plate holder back in November 2017. It came with no instructions. It has a red,white, and black wire. After reading on the web, I was told that I only needed to use the red and black wires and to use the blue and black wires under the seat within the wiring bundle. I connected the blue to red and black to black and it worked. I didn't connect the white to anything. It worked until last week but because of weather I had only ridden my bike three times since November. Last week when I started the bike only half of the LED strip illuminated. It is a sealed unit. Am I just having some bad luck or did I do something wrong? Should I do something different? All of my connections were good and tight. I tested it to the battery direct and only half still works. Should I just buy another one and hope for better luck out of another one?

Thanks.
I purchased the same holder.

BLACK - Gnd (-)
White - Running Lights, 12v (+)
Red - Brake Lights, 12v (+)

Basically when white is energized it lights up to medium intensity, but when RED is energized it lights up to MAX intensity. You will need to seal the unit where the wires enter it with silicon sealant or something similar to prevent water and dirt entry flung up from rear tire, from contaminating the otherwise exposed circuit board.

I twisted RED and WHITE together and connected these to my brake light so the light only comes on when the brakes are applied.

Last edited by twowheels; 02-14-2018 at 03:04 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Can someone tell me what the colors represent going to the rear bundle? Red,yellow, and black. I also have a green and brown that aren't hooked up to anything.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 05:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Can someone tell me what the colors represent going to the rear bundle? Red,yellow, and black. I also have a green and brown that aren't hooked up to anything.
I just checked mine to get lead configuration but will not be installing until next week. My plan, to determine what to connect to on bike, was just to follow the leads to the rear tail light and determine from that and then cut and double check with a VOM. I will post when I get to that stage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg license_plate.jpg (40.4 KB, 22 views)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Yes that is the same one I bought for the second time. Now it only works hooking it up directly to the battery.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

Polarity check

Verify the polarity, I have seen this before where the led colour code is reversed, if it works on the battery pay attention to the wire colour on the positive terminal.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 07:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
I tested it to the battery direct and only half still works. Should I just buy another one and hope for better luck out of another one?
I'd say that it is toast, and that you wired it incorrectly.
I have on one my X300 and as twowheels states the 3 wires are earth, running and brakes.
Get another unit, put the black wire on your battery earth and alternately touch the other two to positive to see which is tail and which is brake. Use silicone and shrink sheath to protect the wiring from wear and water.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode