My chain looks deadly. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My chain looks deadly.

Just got back from a long ride, and I woke up to a nasty looking chain. I had stopped during the night to adjust the tension on the chain, but didnt see this or realize it was that bad. I had put 900 miles in 17 hours in 105 plus degree heat without stopping to lube the chain. I know what your thinking, Versys abuse, life endangerment, Im slowly learning.
So im wondering was this dangerous? When I seen this this morning, I decided to ride another bike until I get another chain and sprocket set.
By the way the ride was beautiful. I rode from...
San Francisco - L.A.- Phoenix - Tucson - Flagstaff - Grand Canyon - Las Vegas - Tonapah - Lee Vinning - Tioga Pass - San Francisco.
So much fun. I love my bike. She just turned 20,000.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 581537_4171258352913_638989762_n.jpg (55.9 KB, 418 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Tincrow; 09-10-2012 at 01:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 03:07 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
I rode 2600 km over a few days and never lubed that chain, I am a chain abuser, that chain and sprockets were changed out at 27,000 km as teeth were riding on chain roller.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 04:03 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Wow, you lost a roller... 20,000 miles on original chain? Not bad at all.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 05:18 AM

Yes, IMO that was pretty dangerous. If that had been my bike and I'd discovered that, I would have considered myself broken down and waiting for a towtruck. But everyone's tolerance for risk is different. It must have been making a terrible racket.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 06:22 AM

What is it they say about the strength of a chain being a function of its weakest link? In the case of a motorcycle, it's not a metaphor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 09:14 AM

Chain life

Crow, that does look risky. My OEM chain and bike now have 22600 miles and the chain looks and sounds fine. I have new chain and sprockets in the garage. I think I will wait a while longer before changing them. I changed to a 44T rear sprocket showing little wear on the OEM 46T. Of course the front sprocket is showing wear and I may change it out before the chain?
For those that moved to the 44T rear sprocket, I could tell very little difference in the gearing?
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 01:05 PM

I would think that the noise from the chain would have been much more annoying that the dash buzz & aroused my curiosity
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Actually this chain has only 4,000 miles on it. I had another bad chain episode in Mexico early this year and replaced the original at around 16,000. It was a butchered job so I can see why this happened.
It was making a lot of noise when I left Lee Vining, I inspected it and tightened the chain as it was loose. I didnt realize this was going on.

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 02:49 PM

Chain, Chain, Chain.......chain of fools.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincrow View Post
Actually this chain has only 4,000 miles on it. I had another bad chain episode in Mexico early this year and replaced the original at around 16,000. It was a butchered job so I can see why this happened.
It was making a lot of noise when I left Lee Vining, I inspected it and tightened the chain as it was loose. I didnt realize this was going on.
I took mine into the Copper Canyon twice on my Mexico tour last winter. I tried to keep it oiled as best I could and it did well I guess. I'm not complaining about this OEM chain and still hoping to get a few mo miles out of it. Only 4000 miles sucks, do you think it was just a cheapo chain??
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 05:29 PM

I just replaced my chain and sprockets. Heres some info I learned you may find helpful.

You can replace the chain with any 520 series O ring chain but I would recommend a plated X ring chain instead like the RK GB520XSO or DID VM 520 G. Plated XRing chains don't rust and last longer.

The OEM front sprocket which also will need replacement. It has a rubber damper the after market sprockets don't have.

JK make basic steel rear sprockets and are the low cost option. SunStar make coated steel sprockets which supposedly makes them much less likely to rust and they only cost slightly more. SuperSrpox make aluminum/steel combination sprockets that are the high end option.

I got the DID chain, OEM front sprocket and Sunstar rear sprocket and am so far happy with the result. It was easy to do the chain and sprockets myself after watching the youtube videos on how to do this. Purchasing a chain tool is a must.

http://www.supersproxusa.com/
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
I just replaced my chain and sprockets. Heres some info I learned you may find helpful.

You can replace the chain with any 520 series O ring chain but I would recommend a plated X ring chain instead like the RK GB520XSO or DID VM 520 G. Plated XRing chains don't rust and last longer.

The OEM front sprocket which also will need replacement. It has a rubber damper the after market sprockets don't have.

JK make basic steel rear sprockets and are the low cost option. SunStar make coated steel sprockets which supposedly makes them much less likely to rust and they only cost slightly more. SuperSrpox make aluminum/steel combination sprockets that are the high end option.

I got the DID chain, OEM front sprocket and Sunstar rear sprocket and am so far happy with the result. It was easy to do the chain and sprockets myself after watching the youtube videos on how to do this. Purchasing a chain tool is a must.

http://www.supersproxusa.com/
I have the OEM front damped sprocket and DID VM chain waiting. I'm dreading getting the front sprocket nut off. I bought a 6 pt 27mm socket for that. Any suggestions for easy removal?
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 07:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by olegeezer View Post
I have the OEM front damped sprocket and DID VM chain waiting. I'm dreading getting the front sprocket nut off. I bought a 6 pt 27mm socket for that. Any suggestions for easy removal?
Impact gun.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 07:29 PM

Impact rench

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
Impact gun.
I don't have one but I'm sure I could take my socket down to a local shop and have them loosen it for me.
Thanks
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Put a block of wood through the rear spokes and the transmission in neutral to avoid straining the transmission. You also need to bend back the washer that is keeping it from spinning. I used an electric impact wrench and it came off the first try.

Suggest watching the youtube videos on the process.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 03:08 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
I don't have one but I'm sure I could take my socket down to a local shop and have them loosen it for me.
Thanks
Took my 6 point socket down to the local bike shop for them to borrow to take my front sprocket off and what a act it was with impact wrench and very long breaker bar, block of wood and me standing on rear brake will mechanic used the longest bar i ever seen used on a bike to break nut loose and he fell on his butt when it finally gave in.
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 08:10 AM

Good-n-tight

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Took my 6 point socket down to the local bike shop for them to borrow to take my front sprocket off and what a act it was with impact wrench and very long breaker bar, block of wood and me standing on rear brake will mechanic used the longest bar i ever seen used on a bike to break nut loose and he fell on his butt when it finally gave in.
Kiwi, its stories like these that make me want to procrastinate even more !!
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincrow View Post
Actually this chain has only 4,000 miles on it....It was making a lot of noise when I left Lee Vining, I inspected it and tightened the chain as it was loose....
When the chain on my KLR "died" at 54,000 kms, it was DIRECTLY caused by me doing an adjustment the night before (Watson Lake on the Alcan) WITHOUT re-checking tension when I tightened everything up, as it was TOO TIGHT! I noticed it in Teslin and loosened it up, but TOO late. It was 'spitting' rollers, and I spent a few hours at our campsite in Whitehorse changing out my chain rather than going to the hot springs with my riding buddy.

There's a lesson there, somewhere....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 01:43 PM

Chain life

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
When the chain on my KLR "died" at 54,000 kms, it was DIRECTLY caused by me doing an adjustment the night before (Watson Lake on the Alcan) WITHOUT re-checking tension when I tightened everything up, as it was TOO TIGHT! I noticed it in Teslin and loosened it up, but TOO late. It was 'spitting' rollers, and I spent a few hours at our campsite in Whitehorse changing out my chain rather than going to the hot springs with my riding buddy.

There's a lesson there, somewhere....
Hey Fasteddie, if my calculatin is correct, 54000kms = 33500 miles ?
Thats sounds really good to me. So my questions are, how did you maintain the chain and did you also make the front sprocket go that many miles??
Thanks
Olegeezer
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Took mine to the dealership to have a 16T front sprocket put on cost $40.00 Well worth it to me.........

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 11:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Hey Fasteddie, if my calculatin is correct, 54000kms = 33500 miles ?
Thats sounds really good to me. So my questions are, how did you maintain the chain and did you also make the front sprocket go that many miles??
Thanks
Olegeezer
I do not know what Fasteddie will say about the front sprocket, but I am sure that his response about maintaining the chain will involve gallon-quantity amounts of WD-40. He has me convinced. When I run out of the teflon stuff, I am going 100% WD-40 (even though it "is not a lubricant").

When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode